Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on Graffiti?  (Read 197 times)

Offline Claws

• Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
What are your thoughts on Graffiti?
« on: April 23, 2016, 09:22:28 PM »
I personally hate it passionately. All it takes is an idiot with a spray can to ruin a statue, monument, property or just space... it sickens me. And, while there are exceptions, most of the time the "artist" is just a pathetic teenager (or worse) who thinks he or she is a rebel because they can draw two lines of black paint on a wall or whatever.

But why do I hate it that much? Well...

There was a traveling art gallery coming to my neighborhood a few years back and, not two days after the fact, someone "tagged" all the frames with paint. Un-fucking-believable.

I also got to pay a visit to my beautiful hometown in 2009 and all I found was that EVERY landmark was completely ruined because of that.

And please don't even get me started on those who paint ponies on everything...

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 10:59:04 PM »
I've never seen any public monuments get ruined by graffiti, but it must be terrible.

When I see graffiti on an otherwise blank wall, I still hate it.  Even when it is elaborate and detailed and it's clear the person spent a lot of time making it, I think it is extremely distracting and generally very ugly.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Crackers

• Dancer
  • Junior Owsla
  • Hawkbit
  • TICK TOCK ON THE BIG CLOCK!
    • Show only replies by Crackers
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 10:59:49 PM »
Well.

If it's not supposed to be there then yeah I'd LOVE to scrub it all off.

But if there's like a wall or something for it, and the artwork is creative, then I think it could be a potentially cool idea. (Then again, remember that hardly anyone near my county that's not actually in it know of it's existence. . .)
Kitties are shaped like friends ~ A close friend

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 03:38:43 PM »
There's good graffiti and bad/awful graffiti. A distinction has to be made. I dislike seeing 'tags' in a lot of places, like beside rail tracks, on bridges, etc., they are ugly and unnecessary and do make the area seem more downtrodden. It's awful when people would go as far as to graffiti on monuments. So disrespectful. Some people really have no pride in where they live.

Graffiti with more of a purpose, more creative flair to the extent it can actually be called 'art' can look really nice in certain places. We have more of the creative side in our city than we used to and it does help bring a bit more life to some otherwise dull areas. Unfortunately you do get people writing their crummy tags over some of the prettier graffiti, though.
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 05:47:17 PM »
I'm just agree with artists drawing on walls that do not ruin the landscape and art.  :blackberry

I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Claws

• Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 05:58:39 PM »
I do see your points, guys. But for me graffiti in general is just bullshit of the highest level.

I know that there are people on Miami who work really hard -and I think I heard are supported by the government- to make the city look beautiful thru their paintings, and I support the hell out of it. But the rest is illegal for a reason.