Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: BBC 2016 - Casting Info.  (Read 2399 times)

Offline BigwigIsLoveBigwigIsLife

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by BigwigIsLoveBigwigIsLife
    • View Profile
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 11:27:08 PM »
I don't think people will care as much since Strawberry is a minor character. He was barely mentioned in the book despite joining the main group and he didn't even exist in the Film. He appeared in the series more but he didn't really do much, he was kind of just there.

Offline Strifer

• Jackrabbit
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Strifer
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 03:15:50 AM »
Quote from: Chipster-roo on May 19 2016, 11:46:31 AM
Quote from: Strifer on May 18 2016, 07:52:36 PM
Blackberry was a girl in the series, and now Strawberry is? What on earth is going on?
In the year 2000, the Watership Down fans on the Internet were posting 1000 messages a month on roleplaying groups, and complaining about Blackberry-doe.

Now, over 10 years later, Blackberry-doe is no longer the subject of flamewars, although some people still like to complain.

I don't know how Strawberry-doe will be handled, but in the end perhaps the only plot change this will require will be for Hazel to say "We only have one doe" instead of "We have no does".  I hope everyone will actually give her a chance before deciding whether the change was a good thing, or she should have stayed a buck.
I personally think that Strawberry fits more as a buck. Didn't he even leave his mate in the book? I hope they don't try and make that an abuse thing in the upcoming series. I don't like people trying to get more fans from a really serious thing and then ignoring the problem.
“I am hopelessly and forever a mountaineer,” “Civilization and fever and all the morbidness that has been hooted at me has not dimmed my glacial eye, and I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature’s loveliness.”  -John Muir

Art & Nature - all at Strifer's Art and Strifer's Photographs

Offline BigwigIsLoveBigwigIsLife

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by BigwigIsLoveBigwigIsLife
    • View Profile
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 03:34:36 AM »
So you're saying he fits more as a male because he left his mate and litter behind? LOL tsk tsk

Offline Claws

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 03:39:58 AM »
#FemaleBlackberryordie.

Offline Naylte

• Resident Recluse
  • Junior Owsla
  • Silver
    • Show only replies by Naylte
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • I speak:
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 10:37:41 AM »
It's far too early to make assumptions. A female Blackberry was weird in the series at first, but they managed to make the plot great anyway. They should not have any difficulty doing the same with Strawberry, since like BigwigIsLoveBigwigIsLife mentioned above Strawberry's presence hasn't been too prominent in any medium so far (unlike Blackberry). The only things I really remember about him from the book are the fact that he went to Efrafa with Holly and he knew how to support the ceiling in the Honeycomb.
If we light a candle, a shadow appears. The more we strive for light, the bigger the shadow will grow behind us.

Offline Bright Side

• Brighty
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Bright Side
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 10:38:24 AM »
(I love how Strawberry-doe is the only thing we're now talking about xD)

Personally, I've never liked gender changes, but that's coming from someone who prefers when the movie/series stays as true to the original work as possible. So really, it's just subjective taste.

I'm guessing they did this to give a little more balance to the males and females. Let's face it: maybe 90% of the rabbits in the novel are male, and we don't see a somewhat-major female character until halfway (Clover) and main female character until three-quarters through (Hyzenthlay).

Having more of a balance is just appealing to people in general, particularly females. As a woman myself, I can back this up :D

Plus, Strawberry has always seemed like more a feminine name to me. I was honestly surprised when the novel made him male :P
Thank you to Chipster-roo for the avatar!

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 02:46:38 PM »
:holly In last news General Woundwort will Doe!. Ok nothing so drastic. I imagine adding a Doe in the casting of characters is for the female audience, ie girls.
It does not bother me at all Blackberry Doe, in fact I love it = 3
I die just wait to finally see the final result. The series will premiere on Netflix, I understand.     :hyzenthlay
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 03:54:59 PM »
Strifer: No, he didn't leave his mate in the book.  She had just been killed by a shining wire, and that is why he left.  He didn't have a litter at the moment, either.  In the series, he has no mate, no kittens, nobody dies except Pimpernel, he just finds Hazel's offer of a new life appealing and...leaves.

Also, as Naylte points out, he doesn't do much later on in the original book.  In TWFD, he only gets mentioned twice:
Quote from: Chapter 14on 
Groundsel (one of the former Efrafan officers who had been accepted into Hazel’s warren after the defeat of Woundwort the previous summer) was to be Chief Rabbit [of Vleflain], with Buckthorn, Strawberry and the Efrafan Captain Avens as the nucleus of his Owsla.
Quote from: Chapter 19on 
Neither [Hazel nor Campion] had forgotten that, though both were anxious that no mention of it should be made now. As Strawberry came up to join them, Hazel was able to cover the awkward moment by greeting him as an old friend and follower and by asking him how he liked life in the new warren. Strawberry replied for the most part with praise of his rabbits, who, he said, had worked hard and settled in very well, those from both Watership and Efrafa.
However, there is this article:
Quote from: The Telegraphon 
Female rabbits including Clover, played by Gemma Arterton, Strawberry, played by Olivia Colman, and Hyzenthlay, played by Anne-Marie Duff, will get a dose of doe power, as it were, to allow them to display their own heroics alongside their male co-stars.
I agree with most of what Bright Side says.

Acacia I hope you're joking...

In the end, I think the only people who have a reason to complain are those who think "There is only one true Black/Straw-berry DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH MY BUN!!!"

Maybe we should create a new thread about Strawberry-doe?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 03:55:50 PM by Chipster-roo »
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Bright Side

• Brighty
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Bright Side
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 09:06:18 PM »
Chipster, thank you for the article. I think it supports my conjecture that the creators want to balance out males and females so the does will have more of a spot in the sun. It's just more appealing to girls that way.

I think it's a good idea to create a new thread; I'll do that.
Thank you to Chipster-roo for the avatar!

Offline Strifer

• Jackrabbit
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Strifer
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 09:35:51 PM »
Quote from: BigwigIsLoveBigwigIsLife on May 19 2016, 11:34:36 PM
So you're saying he fits more as a male because he left his mate and litter behind? LOL tsk tsk
Not what I meant. I'm just saying, or rather trying to say, that a female role for that character doesn't fit as well.

I swear I'm not sexist.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:36:15 PM by Strifer »
“I am hopelessly and forever a mountaineer,” “Civilization and fever and all the morbidness that has been hooted at me has not dimmed my glacial eye, and I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature’s loveliness.”  -John Muir

Art & Nature - all at Strifer's Art and Strifer's Photographs

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 09:39:05 PM »
A new article.

Quote from: Quote:on 
For such a nice man, actor Jason Watkins plays a lot of baddies.

These range from a sadistic bunny in the BBC’s upcoming new TV version of Watership Down [...]
Maybe he will play Vervain, or even Cowslip?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:08:10 PM by Chipster-roo »
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Offline AndreofHazel

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by AndreofHazel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • I speak:
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 09:46:04 PM »
In general, I believe that the voice actors chosen are more or less suitable for the character that they will be portraying, apart from one. More specifically, was Kingsley the best option for taking up the role of General Woundwort? Can he fully embrace the General's dark character? Will he be able to strike fear into our hearts with his voice like Harry Andrews and John Hurt both managed to achieve magnificently? Judging by the performances of his that I have seen, I have to say that I am a bit unsure. I guess only time will tell. What about you, though? What are your thoughts on this matter? I will be eagerly waiting to hear them!  :hazel2

Fun fact: Campion will star in 3 out of the 4 episodes of the mini series. Anyone else thinking that he may be playing a similar role to the one of the TV series?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 09:52:37 PM by AndreofHazel »
What is the most awe-inspiring thing you have ever seen and why is it the face of the Black Rabbit of Inle?

Offline Claws

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 10:24:59 PM »
A Campion-based series? Now, that'd be interesting.

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 11:05:51 PM »
A new article:
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/06/25/outlander-actress-rosie-day-on-mary-hawkinss-season-long-transformation/

Apparently Rosie Day will have a role in the new mini-series.  IMDb lists her as "Thethuthinang" (sic) in episodes 2 to 4.

Maybe Campion will end up switching sides like in the 1999 series, but I hope he won't get touched by the Black Rabbit of Inlé again....

Offline AndreofHazel

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by AndreofHazel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • I speak:
BBC 2016 - Casting Info.
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2016, 01:23:16 PM »
In general, if you want to get your hands on every cast member as well as the number of episodes each of them will be starring in, you can visit the IMDb site regarding the cast of the series: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5670764/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Overall info can be found here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5670764/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3
What is the most awe-inspiring thing you have ever seen and why is it the face of the Black Rabbit of Inle?