Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Strawberry-doe  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Varjokani

• Shadowrabbit
  • Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Varjokani
    • View Profile
    • http://varjokani.tumblr.com/
  • Favorite WD media: The book
Strawberry-doe
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 11:22:40 AM »
Why are they doing this. I have bad feelings about this.
~Varjokani, that darker side of Campion. Plz gimme a hug or I steal ur cookies. Nya |Shadowrabbit dA

Offline Bright Side

• Brighty
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Bright Side
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Strawberry-doe
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 06:21:49 PM »
It's good to see you around, [CALL]Varjokani[/CALL]! Cool name, too - why did you choose it?

As for your question, I don't know why :p But we might as well discuss what we think. As my high school teacher said, "If you don't speak, the world will never hear."
Thank you to Chipster-roo for the avatar!

Offline CockatielPony

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
Strawberry-doe
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
Is it for sure that strawberry is a girl? He has a girl voicing him but there are a lot of amazing female voice actors that play male characters.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Strawberry-doe
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 11:24:21 PM »
Nice to see you post again, Varjokani.
I understand your scepticism.  I'm waiting until the miniseries gets released.  Maybe the female Strawberry will be a well-developed character who will make a positive contribution to the storyline.  Or maybe she will ruin the whole thing.  I don't know yet...

Brighty, I like that quote.

CockatielPony, yes it's confirmed.

Quote from: Relevant passage in boldon 
Female rabbits including Clover, played by Gemma Arterton, Strawberry, played by Olivia Colman, and Hyzenthlay, played by Anne-Marie Duff, will get a dose of doe power, as it were, to allow them to display their own heroics alongside their male co-stars.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 11:25:55 PM by Chipster-roo »
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Rabscuttle

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Rabscuttle
    • View Profile
Strawberry-doe
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 01:04:36 AM »
I agree with the poster who said they dont see any point in gender changes. I never thought of WD as being sexist. Having no wild does with them was the entire reason for risking so much to go back into Efrafa in the first place. It made for quite an interesting revelation and plot twist well into the book.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Strawberry-doe
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 06:39:01 PM »
I still feel pretty much the same way as in my last post.  I don't really mind the idea of a female Strawberry (female Blackberry didn't really wreck the T series), but I still have mixed feelings.  It all depends on the way her character gets handled, and I will only know once the miniseries is released...
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline pushmipullu

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by pushmipullu
    • View Profile
Strawberry-doe
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 04:19:21 PM »
I don't mind gender swaps in watership down, as the recent radio play did them without any issues. I do think, though, that out of all the characters in the story to gender swap, Strawberry is the oddest choice. I mean, Strawberry leaves the warren of the shining wire in the first place after losing his doe; he's basically the only character in the story whose gender plays a role in his motivations. It also kind of bugs me because it makes me think they're going to have change the character dramatically to make up for no Nhildro-hain, which worries me, because this implies they'll make dramatic changes to other characters. In the radio play, the characters who were gender swapped still acted like their book counterparts. I'm hoping this is still the case with this miniseries.