Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Odd things in general about the series  (Read 1003 times)

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please.
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
Odd things in general about the series
« on: May 25, 2016, 04:49:19 PM »
I don't think there's been a thread quite like this one, but apologies if there has been.

A thread to comment on little or big things in the series which don't quite make sense or are just odd. This isn't a 'bash the series' thread, it's just picking up on some silly little things.

First that comes to mind for me is:

Pipkin, apparently a child character and not a runt, given that it was a child that voiced him, never seems to grow up. (Not in the first two series I've seen, anyway.) Primrose had time to appear on the scene and have her own babies growing, while Pipkin just stayed the same...

What else?  :dandelion
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Claws

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:56:56 PM »
Blackavar and one of Hazel's puppies went MIA mid-season and never, EVER returned.

Offline mistercynical

• A Forum User
  • Pipkin
    • Show only replies by mistercynical
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 06:51:25 PM »
Season 3, Episode 8:

Silverweed: I've never been away from the warren of the shining wires before.

wait... what? He knows about that? They're supposed to live in ignorance / denial of the snares, so how would he know about the snares to call it as such?
"I don't know. Does anybody know?"

-- PM me if you need help with a computer, that's my contribution here.

Offline BigwigIsLoveBigwigIsLife

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by BigwigIsLoveBigwigIsLife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 07:54:52 PM »
According to the book, I think they secretly do know but are forced to play dumb.

Offline BigwigIsLoveBigwigIsLife

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by BigwigIsLoveBigwigIsLife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:57:17 PM »
Haven't read the book in a while but wasn't there a punishment for speaking about the wires or rabbits that have died? Death or being attacked?

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 11:07:12 PM »
Quote from: BigwigIsLoveBigwigIsLife on May 25 2016, 06:57:17 PM
Haven't read the book in a while but wasn't there a punishment for speaking about the wires or rabbits that have died? Death or being attacked?
In the book, Cowslip attacked Fiver for talking about Bigwig, and the others just ignored him.  I don't think there was any formal punishment for bringing up the subject since the warren didn't have any chief or owsla.

Now something completely different: in The Stand, Kehaar tells Campion about the Big Water.  Despite the fact he just spent an entire episode over there, all he can say is that it's very big and made of water.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline mistercynical

• A Forum User
  • Pipkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 11:43:18 PM »
Quote from: BigwigIsLoveBigwigIsLife on May 25 2016, 06:57:17 PM
That's more of what I was saying. It's not like he wouldn't know, it'd just be conditioned into him to not speak of it ever.

And as for Kehaar, I think it's both a language barrier and just his idiosyncratic ways. What else is there to say, though? It's big, it's made of water, that's about the only significant points I can come up with.

Offline Hammy

• Silver
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 12:34:09 AM »
Quote from: Chipster-roo on May 25 2016, 07:07:12 PM
Now something completely different: in The Stand, Kehaar tells Campion about the Big Water.  Despite the fact he just spent an entire episode over there, all he can say is that it's very big and made of water.
God, I hated that scene. Not because it was horrible or even an unreasonable outcome, but because it killed any chance for a nice moment of kinship and escapism between two outsiders. I really like the idea of Campion and Kehaar bonding. There didn't even need to be much description from Kehaar explicitly shown, just the implication of it continuing on, rather than the joke they do. Here, I can write a little something to that effect now, pardon it not being totally true to Kehaar's manner of speech.

"No other sight like big water, blue and beautiful and going on forever. The land, it goes on long time, but not like the water. You fly and you fly and you never reach the end ever. Always waves rising and crashing, making bubbles. Is never all quiet, always at night, swish-swish-swish, over and over..."

Then have a shot of Campion shutting his eyes and being happy, if only for a couple hours, instead of being annoyed and having time wasted. I understand why the scene is the way it is, I just think it was a poor, unfulfilling direction in retrospect.

As for an odd thing of my own, I will never forget the scene with Strawberry talking out his problems with a frog in Strawberry Fayre. I dunno, something about that always struck me odd. Sure, we know other animals can talk, but not many other amphibians associate with rabbits, to my memory.

Offline mistercynical

• A Forum User
  • Pipkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 01:29:16 AM »
Quote from: Hammy on May 25 2016, 08:34:09 PM
"No other sight like big water, blue and beautiful and going on forever. The land, it goes on long time, but not like the water. You fly and you fly and you never reach the end ever. Always waves rising and crashing, making bubbles. Is never all quiet, always at night, swish-swish-swish, over and over..."

Then have a shot of Campion shutting his eyes and being happy, if only for a couple hours, instead of being annoyed and having time wasted. I understand why the scene is the way it is, I just think it was a poor, unfulfilling direction in retrospect.
It's perfect. You're hired.

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 10:59:37 AM »
Quote from: mistercynical on May 25 2016, 02:51:25 PM
Season 3, Episode 8:

Silverweed: I've never been away from the warren of the shining wires before.

wait... what? He knows about that? They're supposed to live in ignorance / denial of the snares, so how would he know about the snares to call it as such?
I don't know, if this was answered before (because of my "eye-problem").

Strawberry said to Holly in Season 1 "If the wire took you, we'd live one day longer".

So they know about the wires.

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Naylte

• Resident Recluse
  • Junior Owsla
  • Silver
    • Show only replies by Naylte
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • I speak:
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 08:31:42 PM »
I believe it was S1E10. While Fiver and Hannah are digging underground to get out from under the wheelbarrow, there's a brief shot of Bigwig handing Hazel a carrot through the fence. Right next to Hazel is none other than Fiver. But he's supposed to be underground! Just a funny continuity error I've noticed.
If we light a candle, a shadow appears. The more we strive for light, the bigger the shadow will grow behind us.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 10:41:59 PM »
Hammy: I like it!

Naylte: Yes, that's the correct episode.

Another problem in A Tale of a Mouse: El-ahrairah gets Rowsby Woof to dig a tunnel under the fence, so he use the tunnel to access the garden.  However, we see that he is perfectly able to jump over the fence.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Naylte

• Resident Recluse
  • Junior Owsla
  • Silver
    • Show only replies by Naylte
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • I speak:
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 11:08:04 PM »
Hannah doesn't scoff at Yona's suggestion to seek out the hedgewizard. Weren't they both involved in the prank on Vervain in The Great Game? Wouldn't Hannah understand that the "hedgewizard" was presumably something the rabbits randomly came up with? Apparently not, because she bought into Yona's claims and made the trip to the island. I never understood why she didn't question it at all.
If we light a candle, a shadow appears. The more we strive for light, the bigger the shadow will grow behind us.

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please.
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 04:21:32 PM »
The very first episode itself starts oddly. Straight into the (nearly over) journey without a proper introduction to the situation and characters. If that was shown in a pilot episode, well, they could have shown it anyway, like they have with the pilots for other programmes. It is just a weird opening episode to me; feels like I've missed an episode.
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Dandelion
  • Aya ~The Bunny Cat ~
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 04:20:42 PM »
Quote from: Naylte on May 26 2016, 07:08:04 PM
Hannah doesn't scoff at Yona's suggestion to seek out the hedgewizard. Weren't they both involved in the prank on Vervain in The Great Game? Wouldn't Hannah understand that the "hedgewizard" was presumably something the rabbits randomly came up with? Apparently not, because she bought into Yona's claims and made the trip to the island. I never understood why she didn't question it at all.
That hadn't even occurred to me before but indeed that is strange. I already thought it weird for Hannah to follow Yona's directions and believe her when it is stated earlier in the series that Hannah doesn't like Yona and I was under the impression that she doesn't think very highly of her.
~ Join the WSD Community Read! ~
The more, the merrier^^