Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Odd things in general about the series  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Odd things in general about the series
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 04:57:48 PM »
I have a theory that could be very disturbing about the burrow of bright wires. Says so:
There is no chief burrowing officially that any rabbit can give solution to the problem of the wires, because the human that keeps them safe is your "owner", then ...

Cowslip keeps everything in order from the shadows, trying always have to sacrifice rabbits and so maintain their lifestyle.   :cowslip
I'm sure the past Cowslip was that he lost his entire family in bright wires; father, mother, brothers and friends, from a very young age ... So crazy about this reality, full of darkness and began to take advantage of the situation to live in abundance with the sacrifice of others, ie, obtain food, protection and safety in exchange for rabbits, many rabbits.

And it's not written anywhere Watership Down, but I'm sure that sooner or later Death of Cowslip be by bright wires. Or killed by the human protecting it.
I've always had that concern. And Silverweed always live in fear like others.   :silverweed
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Naylte

• Resident Recluse
  • Junior Owsla
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Naylte
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • I speak:
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 05:59:35 AM »
I've mentioned this in the respective episode's topic, but I recently recalled it. In "The Shadow of Efrafa," at one point Hazel directly addresses Campion by name. I notice it every time I watch the episode. How does he know Campion's name? The only time it gets mentioned before then is when Primrose addresses him after Blackavar's defense. Hazel wasn't there to hear that, nor was Kehaar (he flies off). I know this seems trivial, but I distinctly notice it every time and I always ask that question.
If we light a candle, a shadow appears. The more we strive for light, the bigger the shadow will grow behind us.

Offline Naylte

• Resident Recluse
  • Junior Owsla
  • Dandelion
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • I speak:
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 04:57:03 AM »
Here's an interesting one. In S1E11 Lost, after Hazel, Fiver, and Hawkbit fall into the cave, Fiver mentions the weasel that they blocked into the rock tunnel back in episode 2. He's convinced that it ended up in the cave and that it will eat all of them since there's nothing else to eat.

However, isn't the weasel that shows up in episode 9 the same as the one from episode 2? Seeking revenge and all that? Clearly that means it got out of the cave at some point, and there's no mention of trapping it in the tunnel again in episode 9. You just see the owsla attack it. Therefore, there's no reason to think that the weasel would still be down there to eat them in episode 11.

I just noticed this one and I don't know why I didn't before. I think I assumed Fiver's mention of the weasel was to suggest that there was a way out of the cave or something, not that it was still in the cave.
If we light a candle, a shadow appears. The more we strive for light, the bigger the shadow will grow behind us.

Offline pushmipullu

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by pushmipullu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »
The only issue/weird thing that really bugs me about the series is that the first episode starts off in the middle of the journey, and none of the characters are given much of an introduction at all. If I wasn't a fan of the book/movie I would be very confused as to what was going on. >.<

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 11:59:35 PM »
From episode 3:

What are Hawkbit, Dandelion and Pipkin doing there?  They are supposed to be at the Down...
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Hammy

• Silver
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 01:23:22 AM »
Quote from: Chipster-roo on Nov 27 2016, 06:59:35 PM
From episode 3:

What are Hawkbit, Dandelion and Pipkin doing there?  They are supposed to be at the Down...
You know, it might be a stretch, but it occurs to me that in the original story the rabbits go to Cowslip's warren before getting to the Down, Hawkbit, Dandelion, and Pipkin included. Maybe the error is a carry-over from an earlier draft of the series where the same was true and those three were present. Just what immediately stands out to me as an explanation.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 04:17:53 AM »
It's nice to see you post again, Hammy.

That's actually an interesting theory, that could potentially explain this, and a few other cases where the wrong character is seen.

That kinda makes me wish Hawkbit had been there to make sarcastic comments about how weird Cowslip and his gang are...

Another example of the wrong character (in episode 5): it's Hawkbit but it should be Fiver:
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Offline Hammy

• Silver
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 11:37:06 PM »
Glad to be posting again.

I like that idea, would have made the visit to the warren a little more dynamic.

Another thing I've been meaning to mention for a while: all the repeated audio samples.
-Vervain's "Get a move on!"
-Bigwig's battle cry
-Hannah's "oof" sound-thing
-Kehaar's "kehaaaar" call (continued to be used even after Kehaar's VA change)

I'm sure there are others besides that, but those immediately spring to mind. It's really, really conspicuous after you hear it for a while. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something that I can't not notice.

Offline Naylte

• Resident Recluse
  • Junior Owsla
  • Dandelion
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • I speak:
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 08:02:05 AM »
Quote from: Hammy on Nov 28 2016, 06:37:06 PM
Glad to be posting again.

I like that idea, would have made the visit to the warren a little more dynamic.

Another thing I've been meaning to mention for a while: all the repeated audio samples.
-Vervain's "Get a move on!"
-Bigwig's battle cry
-Hannah's "oof" sound-thing
-Kehaar's "kehaaaar" call (continued to be used even after Kehaar's VA change)

I'm sure there are others besides that, but those immediately spring to mind. It's really, really conspicuous after you hear it for a while. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something that I can't not notice.
There's also Hazel's "I don't think--" used twice in "The Vision." And one of my favorite Woundwort lines: "Are you incompetent, or perhaps lacking in motivation?"

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please.
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2016, 10:56:02 PM »
There's some good examples! Wow, blatant character changes.

If I haven't already I'm mentioning about some of the music which they suddenly blast out a lot, starting and finishing on the same notes each time. Namely the OH SO DRAMATIC music which plays a few times in Efrafa: DUN, DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUUUUUN. It's lacking in a bit of subtlety. Counts as an 'odd' thing, kind of. :D
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 11:22:15 PM »
Quote from: MeadowRabbit on Nov 29 2016, 05:56:02 PM
If I haven't already I'm mentioning about some of the music which they suddenly blast out a lot, starting and finishing on the same notes each time. Namely the OH SO DRAMATIC music which plays a few times in Efrafa: DUN, DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUUUUUN. It's lacking in a bit of subtlety. Counts as an 'odd' thing, kind of. :D
This? :D

---
Also, in episode 9 (The Vision), Hazel and Primrose end up drifting on the same side of the canal where they started, making them no closer to Redstone than they were before.

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please.
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 10:37:44 PM »
^ Haha! yeah, that. :D Interestingly, it sounds like they might have put some of the music on a different key change in that clip - shocker!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 10:39:10 PM by MeadowRabbit »
Here lies a signature that has little point.