Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: First image of the miniseries  (Read 5898 times)

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Re: First image of the miniseries
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2018, 08:06:04 PM »
Finally a true image of the series or movie, and they look pretty good. I hope you have a lot of love and dediacion the series to make it memorable for all fans.    :pipkin-oh     :silverweed3   
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline CockatielPony

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2018, 08:49:58 PM »
WOW!!!!
That cgi looks amazing! This makes he want to buy the book with that cover.

"Hey bunnies your facing the wrong way. I wanna see your cute faces!"
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2018, 06:35:34 AM »
This looks pretty good. Hopefully it will look as good when they are moving. :)

Now let's guess who is who on this picture. I think the one on the right is Fiver and next to him is Hazel. Then the one on the left looks like Bigwig with that fur cup (if my eyes are not lying to me). I don't know who the last one could be. Silver? Dandelion?

EDIT: I'm curious. Where did @WinterFrostDragon found this cover? I tried to find more information about this new edition, but with no luck so far.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:04:55 AM by Myrkin »
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2018, 04:50:09 PM »
Like I said to Chipster, I'm thinking that extra rabbit could be one of the female characters to give a bit more balance to things?
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2018, 06:41:58 PM »
EDIT: I'm curious. Where did @WinterFrostDragon found this cover? I tried to find more information about this new edition, but with no luck so far.
It has been found on Amaazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0141378948/

As for the fourth rabbit, it can't be Silver since he doesn't appear in the miniseries.  If Meadow's theory is correct, I would say it is gender-flipped Strawberry; initially I thought about Clover but all four look like wild rabbits.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2018, 11:56:03 AM »
Thank you for the link, Chipster-roo. :)

Quote from: MeadowRabbit
Like I said to Chipster, I'm thinking that extra rabbit could be one of the female characters to give a bit more balance to things?

Quote from: Chipster-roo
As for the fourth rabbit, it can't be Silver since he doesn't appear in the miniseries.  If Meadow's theory is correct, I would say it is gender-flipped Strawberry; initially I thought about Clover but all four look like wild rabbits.

That makes sense. In addition to the fourth character looking like a wild rabbit, it seems this scene portrays the first time rabbits look at the world from the top of Watership Down, while Clover joins the group at later time. 
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline WinterFrostDragon

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by WinterFrostDragon
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: The series
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2018, 04:28:05 PM »
This looks pretty good. Hopefully it will look as good when they are moving. :)

Now let's guess who is who on this picture. I think the one on the right is Fiver and next to him is Hazel. Then the one on the left looks like Bigwig with that fur cup (if my eyes are not lying to me). I don't know who the last one could be. Silver? Dandelion?

Hi Myrkin! I found this on Amazon but since posting the image to Twitter they seem to have removed the cover from the Amazon page and replaced it with a blank blue placeholder cover, it makes me wonder if they might be changing the cover to something else? Or perhaps Amazon just posted the cover too early by mistake and had to take it down for now either way its still available for pre order here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0141378948/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2018, 10:47:26 PM »
Thanks for the information, WinterFrostDragon. :) It's interesting that they've decided to replace the cover. It might be as you said: they could had posted the initial cover too early by mistake.

Offline CockatielPony

• Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2018, 11:23:11 PM »
New Images of the MINISERIES!
I'm so excited. The characters look good. I think the rabbit inside the pen is Clover.
It feels like we've been waiting so long for an official image.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/sam-smith-peter-capaldi-watership-down-netflix-bbc-1203017205/

This site also states that Sam Smith will be doing the theme song for the mini-series. The song is called Fire on Fire.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:26:42 PM by CockatielPony »

Offline CockatielPony

• Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2018, 11:32:27 PM »
here are a few more images. It looks like that the series will be pretty dark.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a869762/bbc-watership-down-first-look-photos-peter-capaldi-joins-cast/

Offline Thorn

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Thorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2018, 11:40:10 PM »
Oh my gosh! Yes, so glad they're going with a darker tone to fit the series. Love it.

Offline Hammy

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2018, 11:42:01 PM »
Hm. I'm gonna have to see this in motion before I pass judgment. In images, well, I dunno. They look a little- plastic, but that's not even the right word. Taxidermic, maybe. Like they resemble real rabbits more than the old, but they don't appear as alive to me. All the scenes look a little flat and the characters a little stiff. It's like I'm looking at a diorama instead of through a window to another world.

Like in the picture of the rabbit army at night with the thunder, I don't know what it is, but it just looks unnatural and unreal to me. Maybe it's the camera angles? Or the lighting? I can't entirely put my finger on it. I'd almost compare to a PS2 game, but that's not quite right either.

It's just curious to me. Like I said, reserving judgment, but all the stills look funny somehow to my eye.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2018, 11:57:35 PM »
(official BBC press release: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2018/watership-down)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS COCKATIEL THIS IS EXCITING

I'm kinda pleasantly surprised.  I'm glad that all the rabbits have natural fur colours.

But, for better or for worse, this all reminds me of the Peter Rabbit TV series (the TV show, not the horrible feature film).  But I suppose that makes sense, since both PR and WD were animated by Brown Bag Films.

The articles mention that Sam Smith wrote a new song, "Fire On Fire", for the miniseries.  This is rather exciting, although this seems to be the official confirmations that there won't be any Bright Eyes, even if it has been speculated for years.

Too bad there still isn't a BBC release date though, apart from the fact it will air in two instalments.

Also the press release lists Martin Rosen as an executive producer.  I'm rather surprised by this, since he said in a previous interview he wasn't working on the miniseries.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:59:13 PM by Chipster-roo »
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Capt. Rake Nightfur

• Eulalia!
  • Dandelion
  • Come up here so I can hit you with my sword!
    • Show only replies by Capt. Rake Nightfur
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2018, 04:36:01 AM »
I would agree that the images make the characters look plastic-y (with a couple of exceptions), but I'm hoping that is just because they aren't the final render (I'm pretty sure that's why). Also, the eyes look dead to me, like they are creepy CG eyes as was the case in the Polar Express. I mean, that is what they are, though; CG eyes. I'll chalk that up to not being the final render too though because I'm feeling optimistic today (wow, that's new).

However, the eyes in the third image of the more recent set look rather good to me. I imagine that scene is the part towards the beginning, at Sandleford Warren when Fiver finds the cowslip and Toadflax pushed them off saying it's for Owsla only. (And is that the rowan tree after which the Threarah is named for in the background possibly?)

Also the second picture in the older set, with what I assume is Clover in the hutch, looks pretty great. Emotion is actually visible on the face and in the eyes, which is what leads me to believe that the dead-eyed look of the other pictures are, indeed, due to the incomplete nature of the render.

The picture with the lightning I would guess is either one of the stories of El-ahrairah, or when Bigwig is escaping with the does and holding off the Efrafans (which I think is the more likely of the two). "Your storm, Thlayli-rah. Use it."

And I like the first picture  in the newer set too, the lineup of the characters from the back. When they see Watership Down from afar, I think.

Overall I'm pleased with what I'm seeing so far and I am looking forward to watching it once it is released.
I've missed this place.
Check out my Deviant Art page. But only if you feel like it.

Offline Thorn

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Thorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2018, 05:18:58 AM »
I do think their models need work. As of now, I'm seeing cat mouths and a few other features that resemble cats/dogs rather than rabbits, too. The greenery looks great. Still stoked.

Here's some edits:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 08:09:23 AM by Thorn »