Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: The Chip and Dale Animation Cel Project  (Read 1756 times)

Offline singhcr

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by singhcr
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
The Chip and Dale Animation Cel Project
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 10:52:53 PM »
6/8/15

Time to digitize this puppy. Thankfully, my scanner is protected at all times by some friendly woodland creatures and a certain Chinese Easter dinosaur that managed to find its way into my little troop.

Did I mention before that I simply LOVE my new scanner? I'm in nerd heaven.

Engineer by day, artist by night.

Offline singhcr

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 10:53:16 PM »
6/8/15

I had to stitch two scans together, but here we are.

Offline singhcr

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 10:53:38 PM »
6/16/15

Well, the Chip and Dale sketches are finished! Dale is very cute as well.

Dale: Hurray!

The background sketch is finished! Now, I need to go to the next step. I need some guidance here, but I know who to call.

Chip: How did you get a phone? You're a wolf!

I attacked a hiker and stole it, OK? You got a problem with that?

Chip: No! Sounds perfectly moral to me.

Just let me make my call, will you? It's hard enough to press these buttons with my paw without your whining.

---------

*gets on phone*

Receptionist: Welcome to Disney Animation Studios! How may I direct your call?

Ink and paint department, please.

*click*

Hello? Hello?

Aw, nuts! Looks like I have to do it myself.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:54:33 PM by singhcr »

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 11:26:04 PM »
The finished version of the two characters is really well-done, and the background is nice too.

I like how you posted pictures of yourself, so we can see both the art and the artist :)

The conversation you wrote for 6/16/15 is really funny :D

I'll be looking forward to the next updates.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline singhcr

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 01:03:05 AM »
Thank you! I appreciate the compliments about my work.

I am glad I took some photos of me in my Dale Hawaiian shirt as well. Often times I forget to include myself in this documentation process. It's a chapter in my life and a place in time that will never be again.

I am glad you enjoyed the conversation between Chip and myself as well as my failed attempts to reach Disney's ink and paint department. You will soon find that I am quite a silly and affectionate wolfy :)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:03:56 AM by singhcr »

Offline Claws

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 02:38:48 AM »
This is SO cool, mate.

Offline singhcr

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 11:24:01 PM »
Glad you like it. *wags tail* :)

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 01:57:09 PM »
It seems that the Disney Channel inks department is uncooperative.

I have that same stuffed fox in my room. c :fox
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Vesper

• dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist "Sentio Ergo Sum"
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Vesper
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 11:07:19 PM »
:silverweed3  Wow!!! This is quite Awesome my dear friend. :)  I'm happy that you're having fun while following your passion. I am really looking forward to seeing the rest of the process of this cell project you have here and hopefully more in the future. I wish you the best of El-ahrairah's luck be with you. *Vesper tackle-hugs the big wolf in a grand leap* :D
[big][big][small]"Yet, even amidst the Hatred and Carnage, Life is still worth living. It is possible for Wonderful Encounters and Beautiful things to exist."[/small][/big][/big]- Hayou Miyazaki

[big]"I will have Poetry in my life. And Adventure. And Love. Love above all."[/big]
- Shakespeare In Love[/i][/i]

[big]dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist [/big] "I am Drunk when I Write, I become Sober when I Edit"

[big]"A good friend listens to your adventures. A best friend makes them with you."[/big] -Unknown

"[big]Hope will never be Silent."[/big] -Harvey Milk

[big]"The thinker dies, but his thoughts are beyond the reach of destruction. Men are mortal; but ideas are immortal."[/big][/i]- Richard Adams

Offline singhcr

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 01:52:55 AM »
Quote from: Acacia Heartstrings on Mar 20 2017, 09:57:09 AM
It seems that the Disney Channel inks department is uncooperative.

I have that same stuffed fox in my room. c :fox
Indeed they are.

Isn't he a cute foxy?  :fox

Offline singhcr

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 01:53:52 AM »
Quote from: Vesper on Mar 20 2017, 07:07:19 PM
:silverweed3  Wow!!! This is quite Awesome my dear friend. :)  I'm happy that you're having fun while following your passion. I am really looking forward to seeing the rest of the process of this cell project you have here and hopefully more in the future. I wish you the best of El-ahrairah's luck be with you. *Vesper tackle-hugs the big wolf in a grand leap* :D
Thank you! I am glad you enjoy it and thank you for the compliments. I am having fun.

Such an affectionate bunny you are! <3

Offline Vesper

• dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist "Sentio Ergo Sum"
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Vesper
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 01:55:05 AM »
*Tackle-hugs* I do my best, dear friend.

Also, I agree that Fox is adorable granted he does not kill me with his cuteness. XD
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:58:13 AM by Vesper »
[big][big][small]"Yet, even amidst the Hatred and Carnage, Life is still worth living. It is possible for Wonderful Encounters and Beautiful things to exist."[/small][/big][/big]- Hayou Miyazaki

[big]"I will have Poetry in my life. And Adventure. And Love. Love above all."[/big]
- Shakespeare In Love[/i][/i]

[big]dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist [/big] "I am Drunk when I Write, I become Sober when I Edit"

[big]"A good friend listens to your adventures. A best friend makes them with you."[/big] -Unknown

"[big]Hope will never be Silent."[/big] -Harvey Milk

[big]"The thinker dies, but his thoughts are beyond the reach of destruction. Men are mortal; but ideas are immortal."[/big][/i]- Richard Adams

Offline singhcr

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 02:30:37 AM »
6/16/15

Step 2: Inking

I’ve been interested in the technical details of the animation process for some time now, so I am already aware of what options I have at my disposal.

1. Hand Inking
The original and some still say the most aesthetically pleasing way to ink a cel. This hasn’t been done for some time. All of the classic Chip and Dale shorts were hand inked.

2. Xerography
This was first used in its entirety for 101 Dalmatians (1961). Basically, the pencil sketches are directly transferred to the cel via an electrostatic transfer process like that used in a photocopier. This is a better option than hand inking, depending on your point of view. If your goal is to have the final filmed image look as close to the pencil sketch as possible, this is an improvement over hand inking, although some people don't like the rougher look it has. It is certainly much faster and much less expensive, anyway. Were it not for this process, Disney might have gone out of business in the 1960s.

What is Xerography?

3. Animation Photo Transfer (APT) process
A photographic system using UV sensitive inks that stick to the transparency, similar to silk screen printing. This was the system used for Rescue Rangers. This is similar to xerography, but it yields cleaner lines and allows for the transfer of colored lines as well. In addition to the Disney Afternoon shows, feature films like Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, The Secret of NIMH, etc were all done like this. For all of us who grew up in the ‘90s, this was the standard method for creating cels.

What is the APT process?

4. Digital Inking
Using a high DPI scan of the pencil sketch, one would ink the lines on the computer and then print the inked lines to a transparency using a high quality printer.
----------

Conclusion:

I would love to ink my sketches by hand, but hand inking is a very difficult skill to master and it would take a long, long time to do so. I’ve tried, and it’s not easy. I have a ton of respect for the inking people in the old Disney days that did this for a living. Their work is simply gorgeous. Ink and paint employees were all women back in the old days, too.

I was initially going to use the xerography option as I don’t have the equipment for the APT route, but my sketches are rather messy with all of the erasing I’ve done and that would show up in the transparency.

I am going to go with the digital option, as it allows me to do a bit of cleanup and get a look that’s very close to the hand inked route.

My primary objections to digital animation are the low output resolutions and the flat look that digital coloring typically gives. I won’t have either of those issues with the route I am taking. As long as the printer I use is a good one, the lines should look very nice when printed to an 8.5”x 11” transparency. Besides, my digital files are all at 6K resolution anyway so I think I'm good quality wise…;)

Most importantly, the color will still be entirely analog (hand painted and photographed on film) so this hybrid approach should work well for my purposes and still keep the final image at a high quality. This also allows me to easily re-position Chip and Dale as well as the background cel to get the right composition that I want in my frame. I also have never done any digital artwork before, so it also gives me the chance to learn a new skill. I consider this to be the best of both worlds: having the convenience and flexibility of digital inking and composition combined with the gorgeous color and detail of film.

Aspect Ratio

Speaking of framing: what aspect ratio do I use? I could use 1.33:1 (i.e. 4:3) which is what CDRR and the classic Chip and Dale shorts used, (technically C&D is 1.37:1, but let’s not get too technical, folks  :D )  but I’m going to compose for a 1.50:1 aspect ratio as that is the aspect ratio of 35mm still film. That’s the frame I’ll see in my viewfinder as I take the photograph and that’s what I’ll be seeing when I view the developed slide on my screen, so it makes the most sense to compose for that. I consider the slide to be the final outcome of the project.

What is an aspect ratio?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:32:44 AM by singhcr »

Offline singhcr

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 02:33:19 AM »
6/22/15

Foreground Cel Inking

Speaking of digital, I have a new toy….

I figured this digital fad was going to hang around a bit longer so I might as well learn about it. :)

And here I am trying to learn digital inking. The learning curve is very high for me, but I'm getting better.

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 06:44:23 PM »
I have some questions for you:
1- Do you have the "Golden Gun"? (In the video game Golden eye is the most powerful weapon, kills with a single shot)   :blackberry3

2- How much does the Intous tablet cost you?
Are you a forest wolf?

It's pure curiosity XD

Now that you explain the classic method of animation, I just remembered the existence of an episode of Tinny Toons that explains the process of this. It's fun as interesting hehe    :aspen

Name of the episode: 36-136 "Animaniacs!"

Art Vitello Paul Dini, Tom Minton November 12, 1990 A-145
Buster shows Plucky how to make a cartoon as part of his class assignment. Plucky wins first prize at the film festival, but the prize is to take the course over, since he skipped most of it the first time. (Despite the title, this episode has no relationship with the Animaniacs series, which premiered three years after this Tiny Toons episode aired.)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:45:17 PM by Acacia Heartstrings »
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)