Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Coincidental casting  (Read 356 times)

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Silver
    • Show only replies by Magic-Rabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
Coincidental casting
« on: June 04, 2017, 06:43:39 AM »

Maybe it was just by chance but Rory Kinnear who is voicing Cowslip is Roy Kinnear's son who voiced Pipkin in the 1978 classic.

I don't know if the producers just cast him without thinking about the relation near 40 years prior or if they really did want to have the Son of an actor who had previously done a voice on the original film?

Even if it just for the first episode.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."- Lord Frith

Offline Vesper

• dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist "Sentio Ergo Sum"
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Vesper
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Coincidental casting
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 12:49:16 PM »
;) It may be but I don't think it's coincidence dear. In honesty, I'm sure they probably looking back to those who created the film and the show maybe, so they may adapt this new miniseries of theirs as best as they can. :)  :silverweed3 *Nuzzles*
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 12:51:03 PM by Vesper »
[big][big][small]"Yet, even amidst the Hatred and Carnage, Life is still worth living. It is possible for Wonderful Encounters and Beautiful things to exist."[/small][/big][/big]- Hayou Miyazaki

[big]"I will have Poetry in my life. And Adventure. And Love. Love above all."[/big]
- Shakespeare In Love[/i][/i]

[big]dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist [/big] "I am Drunk when I Write, I become Sober when I Edit"

[big]"A good friend listens to your adventures. A best friend makes them with you."[/big] -Unknown

"[big]Hope will never be Silent."[/big] -Harvey Milk

[big]"The thinker dies, but his thoughts are beyond the reach of destruction. Men are mortal; but ideas are immortal."[/big][/i]- Richard Adams

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Coincidental casting
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 06:58:10 PM »
I noticed that too.  I would like to think that this is not a coincidence :pipkin2

But I'm disappointed that Pipkin probably won't appear in the miniseries :cowslip
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Vesper

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Coincidental casting
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 11:22:34 PM »
Quote from: Chipster-roo on  
But I'm disappointed that Pipkin probably won't appear in the miniseries :cowslip
:( Indeed
[big][big][small]"Yet, even amidst the Hatred and Carnage, Life is still worth living. It is possible for Wonderful Encounters and Beautiful things to exist."[/small][/big][/big]- Hayou Miyazaki

[big]"I will have Poetry in my life. And Adventure. And Love. Love above all."[/big]

[big]dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist [/big] "I am Drunk when I Write, I become Sober when I Edit"

[big]"A good friend listens to your adventures. A best friend makes them with you."[/big] -Unknown

[big]"The thinker dies, but his thoughts are beyond the reach of destruction. Men are mortal; but ideas are immortal."[/big][/i]- Richard Adams

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Silver
    • View Profile
Coincidental casting
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 03:17:56 PM »
At least all of the other great character will be there including the paranoid Fiver.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."- Lord Frith

Offline Vesper

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Coincidental casting
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 05:29:24 PM »
Quote from: Quote:on 
At least all of the other great character will be there including the paranoid Fiver.
Not paranoid, my dear :p Maybe a little...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:29:43 PM by Vesper »

Offline CockatielPony

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
Coincidental casting
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 08:33:13 PM »
Quote from: Vesper on Jun 8 2017, 01:29:24 PM
Not paranoid, my dear :p Maybe a little...
Insane  :fiver2
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Vesper

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Coincidental casting
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 08:35:13 PM »
Insanely Awesome :D *Tackle-hugs*  :fiver

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please.
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
Coincidental casting
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 09:27:54 PM »
You couldn't not have Fiver!! He is integral to the plot, after all! :D

Quite surprised Pipkin may not be in it, but I guess he isn't too essential to slot in for this mini-series.

Oh yeah, back to the initial question: I do believe they did it on purpose so that they could have that fun little link to the original adaptation.  :blackberry-buck
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:30:28 PM by MeadowRabbit »
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Vesper

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Coincidental casting
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »
Quote from: MeadowRabbit on  
Oh yeah, back to the initial question: I do believe they did it on purpose so that they could have that fun little link to the original adaptation.  :blackberry-buck
:D Well, yes off course, my dear. When creating this new adaption, I'm sure they look back in the past to the original and previous adaptations of it and I hope they take the best elements out of all them and use it in the miniseries.  :silverweed3

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please.
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
Coincidental casting
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 03:20:44 PM »
You're right, and it'll be interesting to see whether there are any scenes which have obviously taken inspiration from the original film when we get to watch. :D

I have a feeling if they watched the TV series at all that they might not have taken too much from it, probably thinking it's a bit too 'kiddie' for this more serious version.
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline CockatielPony

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
Coincidental casting
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 03:45:18 PM »
Im a bit sad pipkin won't be in it he's so cute
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Vesper

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Coincidental casting
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 03:51:08 PM »
:pipkin He is indeed. *Nuzzles Pipkin* :p

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Coincidental casting
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 04:10:42 PM »
I rather hope the miniseries won't take too many elements from the series, and will be closer to the book and film instead.  But it seems to me that they did take at least one series element: Hawkbit.  He was a really minor character in the book, but a major character in the series.  In the miniseries, it seems he will appear in all four episodes :hawkbit3

...which makes it even more disppointing (for me) that Pipkin won't appear, since he was actually useful in the book :pipkin

Also, a bit off-topic but Meadow, your new avatar is really great :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:11:06 PM by Chipster-roo »
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Silver
    • View Profile
Coincidental casting
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 08:12:25 PM »
By the way, I meant coincidental by the fact that one of the Sons of a former cast member is in the same movie as his Father from 40 years ago, I don't even know if they cast him based on that or whether it was just because they wanted him to voice that role and they cast the guy unintentionally as a character in the new Watership Down :)