Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Mainstream Music  (Read 389 times)

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
  • Love voice acting in cartoons
    • Show only replies by Magic-Rabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
Mainstream Music
« on: June 25, 2017, 09:43:36 PM »
Now... It would be good to start a conversation about mainstream music and what people thank about it from their own perspective.

For my take on the subject.

I don't like how a band that is started from a talent show or a music mogul for profit just gets to number one song and have a big selling album whist great bands that still exist in today's era of mainstream music go out, play day in day out for a fan base.

Don't even get a scrap of attention from the wider groups of those devoted to music.

:woundwort
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:28:21 PM by Magic-Rabbit »
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."- Lord Frith

Offline Vesper

• dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist "Sentio Ergo Sum"
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Vesper
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Mainstream Music
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »
:/ Mixed opinion mainstream music.
[big][big][small]"Yet, even amidst the Hatred and Carnage, Life is still worth living. It is possible for Wonderful Encounters and Beautiful things to exist."[/small][/big][/big]- Hayou Miyazaki

[big]"I will have Poetry in my life. And Adventure. And Love. Love above all."[/big]
- Shakespeare In Love[/i][/i]

[big]dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist [/big] "I am Drunk when I Write, I become Sober when I Edit"

[big]"A good friend listens to your adventures. A best friend makes them with you."[/big] -Unknown

"[big]Hope will never be Silent."[/big] -Harvey Milk

[big]"The thinker dies, but his thoughts are beyond the reach of destruction. Men are mortal; but ideas are immortal."[/big][/i]- Richard Adams

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Mainstream Music
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »
I don't really listen to "mainstream" music on a regular basis.  Most of the time I listen to classical music, or a few less famous artists I've been following for a while.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
Mainstream Music
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 06:55:48 PM »
Well personally... I look past mainstream music and I also like Progressive Rock which took influences from Classical Music and put them to Rock music with elements of longer song formats and Piano/Keyboards in the songs. Unless it's Progressive Metal, Dream Theater are a band with the keyboards.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."- Lord Frith

Offline Bright Side

• Brighty
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Bright Side
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Mainstream Music
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 06:10:57 AM »
Why are some songs popular and others aren't? It's an intriguing question that I don't have enough info to answer. I'd probably need some psychology and background info to get into it.

I agree that there are a lot of underrated bands and songs. As for mainstream music, I like some of it, but I tend to steer clear. Much is of the romance genre - not my fancy - and others have profanity or mature content that I avoid in general.
Thank you to Chipster-roo for the avatar!

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
Mainstream Music
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 11:55:02 AM »
It depends on whether it draws you in, same goes with albums.
If the album make you want to listen to it all then you end up listening to all of it.

Except Gangnam Style... How did that get over 2 billion views and over 12 million like is beyond me?

I'm don't enjoy it but it is just a music video.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 06:46:53 PM by Magic-Rabbit »

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Mainstream Music
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »
Quote from: Bright Side on Jun 28 2017, 02:10:57 AM
Why are some songs popular and others aren't? It's an intriguing question that I don't have enough info to answer. I'd probably need some psychology and background info to get into it.
Well, I can't really tell you the "why" in terms of psychology, but I do know some common denominators of the "how".

The major thing that I think of is the so-called Four Chords of Pop, or I-V-vi-IV progression. You can hear these chords really prominently in the hook of Don't Stop Believing by Journey, but they're in a metric ton of pop music. This chord is part of why so much of it sounds really samey. I don't entirely understand how it works because I don't really understand music or musical theory (I won't even notice the chords unless they're pointed out). There's variations on the particular formula, but it's nearly omnipresent, and it's at least one factor in making music catchy and highly consumable in mass markets.

Another might be the constant use of love and romance themes, or feelings in general, really. Music is really not a medium meant to spread complex thought, although, my boy Melodysheep does love to try.

As for my own opinions on mainstream music, well, I like it, generally. That enjoyment could very easily be chalked up to, again, my lack of knowledge of music, or simply lack of taste. I love everything from the sugariest and lowbrowest of mainstream pop music (Owl City, Katy Perry, early Lady Gaga, 3OH!3) to classic rock to complete hipster bait. I've seldom met a song I don't like.

I can tell you one mainstream song I despised though: Katy Perry's "Roar". God, that song was awful, absolutely no energy to it, no flavor, nothing to be gained. And I've loved lots of Katy Perry's hits. Come to think of it, most of what she put out post-Last Friday Night kinda went downhill.

I could talk about this stuff all day, really. I listen to way too much of it. I could have a 3 hour conversation with you about the intricacies of 3OH!3's Streets of Gold album and how it's actually a stealthy warning about how having everything you could ever want handed to you for no good reason will destroy your mind and your soul, and lead to a path of self-destruction. Seriously, I actually recommend Streets of Gold if you can stomach 44 minutes of the "crunkcore" style and the lack of real talent. It's an interesting album.

Goddamn, I talk too much.

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
Mainstream Music
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 08:26:07 PM »
Mainstream Music has always existed in the charts but it's whether it's written properly or not.

Offline Vesper

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Mainstream Music
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 08:44:55 PM »
Indeed. :/
[big][big][small]"Yet, even amidst the Hatred and Carnage, Life is still worth living. It is possible for Wonderful Encounters and Beautiful things to exist."[/small][/big][/big]- Hayou Miyazaki

[big]"I will have Poetry in my life. And Adventure. And Love. Love above all."[/big]

[big]dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist [/big] "I am Drunk when I Write, I become Sober when I Edit"

[big]"A good friend listens to your adventures. A best friend makes them with you."[/big] -Unknown

[big]"The thinker dies, but his thoughts are beyond the reach of destruction. Men are mortal; but ideas are immortal."[/big][/i]- Richard Adams

Offline Crackers

• Dancer
  • Junior Owsla
  • Hawkbit
  • TICK TOCK ON THE BIG CLOCK!
    • Show only replies by Crackers
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Mainstream Music
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 11:28:27 PM »
I haven't really posted here as I'm not sure what Magic means by "mainstream music" :P  But you all raise great points.

I myself don't like much like the stuff that plays on the radio. There's been a few that I like, but most of it is meh to me.

And there's some "music" that is extremely popular that I really don't get. (I use the term "music" loosely. Ever heard Everyday Bro? No? Don't. Your ears will BLEED.)

Now I just want to know if what I listen to counts as "mainstream" ;D
Kitties are shaped like friends ~ A close friend

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
Mainstream Music
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 08:23:03 PM »
Mainstream is the stuff you hear on the radio and what is in the charts.

Very bland, simple cord progression with very in the way of inspirational lyrics.

And yeah, I have heard of Everyday bro by Jake "I hate that guy" Paul.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:24:01 PM by Magic-Rabbit »

Offline Vesper

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Mainstream Music
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 11:08:45 PM »
Quote from: <Magic-Rabbit on  
Mainstream is the stuff you hear on the radio and what is in the charts.
:silverweed That is good definition dear upon mainstream music, my dear Magician. :) *Nuzzles with sweet hugs for both the amazing Magician and Crackers* :D