Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Independent Animated Features  (Read 449 times)

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
Independent Animated Features
« on: July 02, 2017, 03:35:01 PM »
Since the early '00s and the big studios, such as Disney, sadly veering away from 2D animation, what seemed to be lost for appreciators of 2D animation for a few years, actually... if you look hard enough, not all is lost. Suddenly, every so often these independent animated films are coming out which use artistic, serious commentary, lighter - and darker - approaches and themes in their filmmaking, and just basically quite a variation to a lot of the bland CGI styles, lacklustre stories and childish humour coming from the 'Hollywood' studios.

The independent films that I've experienced tend to come from Europe, as a collaboration between smaller film and animation companies in a few different countries to help with the much lower budget they have. Of course other continents are also producing.

Has anyone else watched many of these independent films? A few that spring to mind are:

Fear(s) of the Dark - a collection of short 'dark' stories
Persepolis - based off a graphic novel
Waltz With Bashir - autobiographical film
The Illusionist - Sylvain Chromet film
The Secret of Kells - Light film set in Ireland

(Worst quick descriptions ever! I'll try and think of others to add.)

If you haven't seen many independent films, I'd definitely recommend if you enjoy animation done in a more artistic and/or thoughtful way.
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline CockatielPony

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 07:28:12 PM »
Yes I love independent animated movies. The only one I haven't seen on your list is Fear(s) of the dark.
Other films I recommend are (im not sure how independent some of the films are)
Song of the sea
My life as a Zucchini
Boy in the world
It's such a beautiful day
Anomalisa
Leafie a hen into the wild
one stormy night
a monster in Paris
a rabi's cat
Fantastic planet
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 08:42:45 PM »
Thanks for more suggestions! I'll certainly look in to them. :D

Another one I saw at an animation festival some years back was Spanish film 'Nocturna'. Can't remember how well I thought of it now, but worth a mention.

I'm also curious to see French film 'A Cat In Paris'.

Offline Hyzenthlay69

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Hyzenthlay69
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 02:12:47 AM »
Quote from: MeadowRabbit on Jul 2 2017, 04:42:45 PM
Thanks for more suggestions! I'll certainly look in to them. :D

Another one I saw at an animation festival some years back was Spanish film 'Nocturna'. Can't remember how well I thought of it now, but worth a mention.

I'm also curious to see French film 'A Cat In Paris'.
That sounds very interesting, A Cat in Paris. I'll look for it.

I loved the OLDER Disney animation movies. I just do not care for all that CGI stuff or films like " Toy Story..." sorry. The last Disney animated film I loved and is a favorite had SOME CGI in it but still followed the old-style animation...1996's Hunchback of Notre Dame. It was not a popular Disney movie here in the states.

I was looking on Youtube and found this movie called FELIDAE and another one, which was a series, called FARTHING WOOD. I don't really know though if they were independent films or series.

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Re: Independent Animated Features
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 11:00:07 PM »
'The Animals of Farthing Wood' was a co-production series for the (Children's) BBC between an animation studio in England and another in France. :)

Sorry I only just saw your reply. :0

I watched 'My Life As A Courgette' today. I thought it was nice. :D

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 06:16:58 PM »
I see sadly that many animated stories have been lost with the passage of the last years. I mean there are good animated movies, but they are too childish with too many good-natured characters. That disgust me and I can not tolerate seeing, like "Hotel transilvania". "My favorite villain"
I will not say that they are good or bad, but the big producers no longer risk to motivate the creativity of children with dark things. Now everything is politically correct. I do not tolerate it.
Also missed the beautiful art of 2D animation of major productions such as "The Secret of NIMH" "American Tail" and a long etc.
And I mean in the sense that the cartoons now have a rather minimalist and not very detailed art. For me it is very disappointing to see that.
That's why I never liked "Adventure time"     :irony
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline CockatielPony

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 09:55:34 PM »
I watched the movie Loving Vincent over with my mom yesterday we both loved it. The movie was nominated to win an Oscar, but lost to Coco. I think that the Oscar is rigged when it comes to animation because it seems to be based on what's the most popular and that would be a Pixar or a Disney film. I believe that the last non Pixar or Disney movie to win was Rango because Cars 2 came out that year. The independent animated shorts seem to have a better chance of winning an Oscer.

My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 11:11:23 PM »
I watched the movie Loving Vincent over with my mom yesterday we both loved it. The movie was nominated to win an Oscar, but lost to Coco. I think that the Oscar is rigged when it comes to animation because it seems to be based on what's the most popular and that would be a Pixar or a Disney film. I believe that the last non Pixar or Disney movie to win was Rango because Cars 2 came out that year. The independent animated shorts seem to have a better chance of winning an Oscer.

For technical reasons alone, Loving Vincent should have won. And yes, the Oscars are rigged in regards to animation. Mostly because the people judging animated films don't actually watch most of the films being judged. You see a Disney or Pixar logo, you pick that, whether you watched it and paid attention or not. It's also a total Hollywood backpatting event and anyone outside of Hollywood is lucky to even get considered, but that's a different topic.

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 12:06:39 PM »
The award system is pretty crappy, yeah.

Had forgotten about Loving Vincent - that is one I must see sometime!

I agree with what you say, Acacia, and thank goodness we have independent companies prepared to do the films closer to what we want (with focus on the 'art', depth of story, etc.). I don't know when we'll see 2D stories along the lines of The Secret of NIMH, though.

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 10:07:49 PM »
I've now bought 'The Breadwinner' and hope to watch it soon. :) Quite surprised it was executively produced by Angelina Jolie of all people.