Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Big Brother on Watership Down  (Read 1489 times)

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Big Brother on Watership Down
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 12:58:06 AM »
Thank you Leo.  I'm glad you liked it so far :)

The combining perspectivs will happen again in the future.  You will see more of Blackberry in chapter 4 :blackberry-buck
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Bright Side

• Brighty
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Bright Side
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 07:42:48 PM »
Quote from: Quote:on 
You inspired that scene :)
How so? :pipkin-oh
Thank you to Chipster-roo for the avatar!

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 08:34:19 PM »
Quote from: Bright Side on Jul 21 2017, 03:42:48 PM
Quote from: Quote:on 
You inspired that scene :)
How so? :pipkin-oh
Latin phrases :frith In the first draft, the whole part about DNA was not included; Prince Rainbow just said he had examined the strands of fur on the twigs, without providing more details.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 04:10:11 PM »
I liked these lines:
"I do not want anyone to die if I can stop it from happening."

"If you were Prince Rainbow, I could not pronounce it," Nelthilta said with a smile.

A hero and a very funny one. Definitely Chapter 3, Hyzenthlay takes it. I always knew she was great and kicked ass hehehe. Even campion had problems against her.   :primrose
And poor of our dear friend comedian Bluebell, always takes the worst part of the game  :hannah4      :holly
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 07:18:12 PM »
Thank you Acacia.  I'm glad you found this chapter funny :dandelion

I had a lot of fun writing the parts about Hyzenthlay and Bluebell :hyzenthlay

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »
Here is chapter 4 :) If you haven't read Tales from Watership Down, Rithla is a young buck who lives in Efrafa and acts as a messenger between the three warrens, and Nyreem is a young doe who lives at Watership Down.

==========

CHAPTER 4: ANGER AND ANNOYANCE

““I don't want tea," said Clary, with muffled force. "I want to find my mother. And then I want to find out who took her in the first place, and I want to kill them."
"Unfortunately," said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing.””
--Cassandra Clare, City of Bones

The next day, most of the rabbits were still sleeping ni-Frith, when a few started to wake up.  This was the first time they had managed to get enough sleep since they first arrived at the warren.  Previously, they had always been woken up early to participate in a challenge.

Eventually, most of the rabbits had woken up, and were either relaxing in the great burrow or out to silflay.  After a while, Bluebell joked:
-”Well, it looks like that prince won't force us to do anything today!”
-”But you are WRONG!” shouted Prince Rainbow.  “And stop making fun of me, or I'll send you back to Cowslip's warren!” (“Hey, what's wrong with my warren?” said Cowslip).  “There is no challenge today, but there are still rules!  You will be kept confined underground all day.  You may silflay and pass hraka now, but after you are done I will fill up all the holes and only reopen them tonight.  Hurry up, I don't have all day!  The Black Rabbit has been complaining again, and I have to go tend to his wounds”
The rabbits spent the next fifteen minutes or so at silflay, with some of them carrying grass underground to eat later.  Once everyone was back underground in the main burrow, Prince Rainbow closed all exits.

-”General, you were wrong to say what you told Bigwig the other day, about Hyzenthlay,” said Hazel.
Under normal circumstances, Woundwort would have killed Hazel, but he was afraid.  Nearly all the other rabbits had great respect for the Chief (except Cowslip, but he was useless in a fight), and if he dared to harm him, everyone else would quickly fight back and incapacitate him.  The fight would be hrair against one, and with the does now much healthier than when in Efrafa, the General wouldn't have a chance.  Therefore, he decided to mentally torment Hazel instead:
-”I do what I like, you filthy buck!”
-”I hate you!”
-”I'm the king of the warren, so SHUT UP!”
Hazel then stormed off to his burrow.
-”How many times do I have to remind you that I am king of the warren!” retorted Prince Rainbow.
-”That doesn't make any sense: you're Prince Rainbow, not King Rainbow!”
Meanwhile, two does were in Hazel's burrow, trying to comfort him.
-”Oh, Woundwort is so mean!” he cried.
-”You are absolutely right!  He is such a mean jerk,” replied Nelthilta, doing her best to make sure Woundwort heard every word.
Hyzenthlay then gestured at Nelthilta to leave the burrow.  Once she was alone with her mate, she nuzzled him softly, and lied down next to him.  Hazel flopped on his side and pressed her closely against him.
-”I love you Hyzenthlay.  You're so kind, so brave, so beautiful.  It's hard to believe an amazing rabbit like you could possibly exist.”
-”I love you too Hazel.  I'm so grateful you did for me.  I never want to leave you.”
-”We will always be together.”
-”Always.” Hazel and Hyzenthlay lovingly nuzzled each other.

Meanwhile in the great burrow...
-”Where is everybody, Cowslip?” said Bluebell with a smirk.
-”STOP ASKING ME WHERE!  STOP ASKING ME WHERE!”
Realizing that everyone was staring at him, Cowslip muttered:
-”It gets on my nerves.”
-”Where where where where where.  Hrair times where!”
Out of anger, Cowslip lunged at Bluebell, only to find himself rapidly pinned to the ground and begging for his life, just like the previous summer when Holly had attacked him.
-”No, please don't kill me Bluebell!  I'll do anything you say!  Please...”
-”Then tell me where we are now.”
-”In...in a warren somewhere...”
-”Where in the warren?”
-”In...in the...the largest burrow...”
-”Where is your warren?”
Bluebell asked hrair other questions before finally letting Cowslip get back on his paws.  He then went back to his burrow, asking the General to come with him so they could speak privately.
-”I'd like you to teach me how to fight.  I am so sick and tired of being bullied by these rabbits.  Seriously, everyone seems to hate me for no reason!  I want to do something about it.”
Meanwhile, the other rabbits slowly left the great burrow.  Fiver and Vilthuril went to their burrow to entertain Pipkin with a story, leaving only Nelthilta and Bluebell there.  Suddenly, dirt started falling from the ceiling.  Within a few seconds, a small hole had opened, and a head came out of it; it was Kehaar.

Bluebell wasted no time.  He quickly approached the hole and spoke a secret message in hedgerow.  Just before he could finish, however, Prince Rainbow boomed:
-”Didn't I tell you that only Lapiné was to be spoken?
-”I don't think you did...”
-”And you Kehaar?  How dare you destroy my warren!  It took me days to build it to my satisfaction!  And you just ruined it!  As if I didn't have enough work already!”
-”So sorry, Meester Ranbow.”
Kehaar flew away, and came back moments later with something in his beak.  He dropped it on the burrow floor.
-”Hav sum feesh?”
Bluebell took one sniff at the dead fish, and ran out of the burrow, thoroughly disgusted, leaving Prince Rainbow alone with Nelthilta and Kehaar.  Prince Rainbow threw a fireball at the fish, disintegrating it.
-”I don't want any feesh!  Get out of here!”
-”Well, it seems we shall finally have this private talk I've been wanting to have with you ever since I arrived,” said Nelthilta after Kehaar had left.
Prince Rainbow sighed. He knew Nelthilta well, and whenever she started talking, there was no stopping her, and she was not always nice with her words.  Nevertheless, he replied:
-”You may speak.”
-”Well, I must say you are just an embleer wandering hlessi down in the world, almost as bad as u hrair, but a snake could strangle you, and frankly, why did you put me in the water?  If there's one thing I hate more than the General, it is swimming.  How I would love to make you dig the hraka ditch, and did I tell you that...”

==========

Meanwhile at Efrafa, Campion was in the middle of a heated discussion with the members of the Council.  When he and Nelthilta had taken much longer than expected to come back from Vleflain, the Council had sent Rithla to check up on them.  The previous evening, Rithla had returned to Efrafa with the news that the two rabbits had never even arrived there.  One of the rabbits on the Council, instead of sending out a patrol to look for them, decided that they were dead and proclaimed himself the new Chief Rabbit of Efrafa.  He was one of the older members of the council, and used to be one of General Woundwort's most trusted advisers.  Campion knew that this was not going to end well unless he did something to stop him.

Suddenly, a loud noise and some vibrations came from the pipe at the entrance of the Council's burrow.  A dark shape blocked the entrance, plunging the burrow in near-total darkness.  Most of the councillors panicked, and a few started digging an escape tunnel.  Only Campion remained calm.
-”Yes, what is it Kehaar?”
-”Meester Campvon, Meester Pluepell, 'e got message for you.”
-”What is this message?”
-”'e say, you invade udder town of rabbit.  De von vith Meester Ranbow.”
-”Well, I'll see what I can do about that.  Is there anything else?”
-”Nah, nah, noddings.”
-”All right.  Thank you Kehaar.  But next time, please scream at us to let us know you're here, instead of just dropping on us like you did just now.  You scared half the council to death!”
-”Scream at ya?  Like dis?  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK!  YARK YARK YARK!”
-”...yes, that would be fine, Kehaar.  Thank you.”
-”You see what he's doing?” screamed the rebel councillor.  “There he is, sitting calmly and talking with elil!  You call this a good Chief?”
-”That's not elil!” replied Campion.  “That's Kehaar!  The white bird who helped us establish Vleflain!”
It was true that Kehaar had been extremely important in establishing the warren.  Without him, the process would have been much more complicated.  But a few rabbits were still afraid: the legends of the great white bird with supernatural powers still persisted.
-”Anyway, as I was saying,” continued Campion, “we shall have to invade another warren.”
This statement was met by a collective groan.
-”Are you tharn?  Don't you remember what happened last time?  The General and half the owsla died!”
-”That's the problem.  The General is not dead.  He fought the Black Rabbit...and actually won the battle.”
The rebel councillor stared at Campion for a few seconds as if he were a human, before exploding.
-”Are you saying he's come back from beyond?  Have you been playing with burning white human sticks again?”
-”Yes he has, and no I haven't.  The General is at that warren we're going to have to invade, along with Nelthilta and several rabbits from the warren on Watership Down.  Prince Rainbow is keeping them there against their will.  We have to...”
-”You're getting old, Campion.  You're imagining things again...”

==========

-”...and consider yourself lucky I don't tell you to silflay hraka.  And believe me, if I weren't so tired, I would!”
It was now fu Inlé, and Nelthilta retreated to her burrow to sleep.  Prince Rainbow, having endured her complaints all afternoon, was extremely angry.  To make things worse, she had prevented him from visiting the Black Rabbit of Inlé.  Now that she had gone to rest, he had a burning desire to evict her.  He called everyone out to the Great Burrow.
-”There has been no challenge today, but someone will still leave.  Therefore, there shall be a vote.  Each one of you will vote for the rabbit you would like to see get evicted.  You may not nominate yourselves, or me, and you will have to explain your votes.  I will evict the one with the most valid votes.  You are to whisper your votes in my ear.”
-”You're a rainbow.  You don't have any ears,” joked Bluebell.
Suddenly, a small black hole opened in the middle of Prince Rainbow.
-”Now I do.  Vote!”
One by one, the rabbits approached Prince Rainbow's “ear” and cast their votes.   Once they had all finished, he made his announcement:
-”The rabbit with the most votes is Woundwort” (he and Cowslip got ready to fight as soon as they heard this), “with hrair votes.  However, the reasons for these votes are terrible.  Didn't I tell you that you should not consider past experiences when casting your votes?”
-”As a matter of fact, you didn't,” pointed out Hyzenthlay.
-”I'm starting to think you're making up the rules as you go along,” added Vilthuril.
“...as a result, he is immune from eviction right now,” continued Prince Rainbow, ignoring the does.  “Therefore, the one in second place shall leave.  It is Nelthilta.  She has until morning silflay to vanish.”
This was followed by a lot of whispering:
-”Nelthilta?”
-”I can't believe someone hates her more than Woundwort...”
-”Nelthilta is really annoying, but why evict her?”
-”I didn't vote for Nelthilta, I voted for Cowslip.”
-”Before you leave, Nelthilta, do you mind if we become mates?”
Everyone looked at Bluebell, who had made the joke, except Nelthilta herself, and Fiver.
-”I'm afraid you were all tricked,” explained Fiver.  “Pipkin voted for Cowslip, Woundwort for Hyzenthlay, and Cowslip for Hazel.  Everyone else, including me, voted for Woundwort.”
-”In that case, why is Nelthilta getting evicted?” asked Hazel.
-”Because Prince Rainbow himself voted for her because he was annoyed at her.  His vote counts as two to him.”
-”Thanks for the offer, stranger, but I already have a mate,” said Nelthilta annoyed, before turning to Prince Rainbow.  “Farewell, Prince!”
She jumped out of Kehaar's hole and made her way back to Efrafa, without even waiting for morning silflay.  Prince Rainbow, sensing the growing anger of the other rabbits, quickly demanded that they all go back to their burrows to sleep.

==========

Meanwhile at Watership Down, a few rabbits were at silflay.  That afternoon, Clover had brought her four new kittens above ground for the first time.  They were rather scared of this new, potentially dangerous place, and therefore remained close to the holes.  Only one of them ventured further away, and he ended up going tharn in the middle of the grassy field.  She lied down next to him in an attempt to calm him down.

One rabbit stood aside from the others, near the edge of the Down, simply staring into the distance.  He heard another rabbit approach; it was Thethuthinnang.
-”Bigwig, it seems to me you've just been sitting here all day,” she said.  “You didn't train your owsla.  You didn't participate in the bob-stones competition this morning.  You didn't even show up at silflay.”
-”I wasn't hungry.”
-”You're worried about Hazel, Hyzenthlay and the others, aren't you?”
-”I would be lying if I said I wasn't.  Seriously, they are just being held prisoner in that terrible warren, and I'm not doing anything to help them.”
-”You're not helping yourself either.  Come share some clover with me.  You can't really help our friends with an empty stomach.”

Further away, Clover was not making significant progress.  In fact, the situation was getting worse: the kitten had closed his eyes and buried his head underneath her.
-”I give up,” she said in frustration.  “What should I do now?  I never had any problems like this with Scabious and the others.”
-”You should carry him on your back,” suggested Blackberry, who was nibbling a dandelion further away.
-”Thanks for the suggestion, but my back still hurts from carrying Bigwig two days ago.”
-”Carry him on your head then.  He can't be that heavy.”
-”You're right.  I could try that.”
It did not take Clover long to convince her kitten to climb on her head.  As she made her way towards the warren, however, Blackberry seemed worried.
-”Be careful!” he warned.  “Don't let him bite yo...”
-”Ouch!”
-”...your ears...”
-”Don't worry, Blackberry.  At that age, a rabbit's teeth are too small to do any real damage.”
After Clover had gone underground, Blackberry started nibbling the grass again, thinking about how he could possibly help Prince Rainbow's prisoners.  His mind was usually filled with creative ideas, but now, when he needed them the most, he was unable to come up with anything.  His thoughts were interrupted by the voice of Nyreem:
-”Blackberry, do you know where's Bluebell?  I haven't seen him all day.”
-”What?  Oh...I guess he didn't come back like I thought he would.  He's probably lost somewhere.  I hope Kehaar comes back soon, so he can search for him.”
-”What's wrong?  Is he in danger?”
-”It's complicated...”

Offline Vesper

• dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist "Sentio Ergo Sum"
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Vesper
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 10:59:58 PM »
Ah :D I need to catch up soon dear, Chipster. I quite enjoyed reading it previously. No Spoilers! *JK* :p
[big][big][small]"Yet, even amidst the Hatred and Carnage, Life is still worth living. It is possible for Wonderful Encounters and Beautiful things to exist."[/small][/big][/big]- Hayou Miyazaki

[big]"I will have Poetry in my life. And Adventure. And Love. Love above all."[/big]
- Shakespeare In Love[/i][/i]

[big]dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist [/big] "I am Drunk when I Write, I become Sober when I Edit"

[big]"A good friend listens to your adventures. A best friend makes them with you."[/big] -Unknown

"[big]Hope will never be Silent."[/big] -Harvey Milk

[big]"The thinker dies, but his thoughts are beyond the reach of destruction. Men are mortal; but ideas are immortal."[/big][/i]- Richard Adams

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 02:43:32 PM »
That rainbow prince, he just gets angry and throwing fireballs, who do you think he is? Super Mario?   :hannah4

Poor Bluebell will not let him tell his funny jokes. The truth is that Woundwort is able to fight against all the rabbits, I would have put an excuse; That the rabbit prince would have turned him to dust with balls of fire. But every writer, puts the argument he needs, hehe. I really liked the importance that was given to Kehhar in history, remembering his past passages, sending messages and guides. It is almost considered a deity. KEHAAAAAAAAA <KEHAAAR <YACK YARK !! XD  :kehaar

Yet it is dangerous to send an army to attack the rainbow prince. He is like a god or has very great powers, nothing could go right with this war ...
By the way, it gave a lot of laughter, when they dominated Nelthilta, XDHAHAHAHA was expelled from the hutch, in truth it is a Big brother. And it was very adorable the bunny scene biting Clover's ear. There are still more things, but it would be too much.
Even so the rainbow prince's intentions are a mystery. :prince-rainbow
I love Watership Down!

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 10:21:24 PM »
Thanks Vesper :fiver

Thank you for the review Acacia :) I'm glad you found it funny :D

Throwing fireballs is fun! :prince-rainbow So is turning the General into dust... :woundwort2
You will see more of Bluebell, Kehaar and Clover in future chapters.

You make a valid point that fighting Prince Rainbow is not a good idea.  Hopefully Campion will be all right... :campion2

Offline Vesper

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2017, 03:25:29 PM »
xDDDD  :dandelion Can't wait, dear. *Nuzzles Lovingly*
[big][big][small]"Yet, even amidst the Hatred and Carnage, Life is still worth living. It is possible for Wonderful Encounters and Beautiful things to exist."[/small][/big][/big]- Hayou Miyazaki

[big]"I will have Poetry in my life. And Adventure. And Love. Love above all."[/big]

[big]dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist [/big] "I am Drunk when I Write, I become Sober when I Edit"

[big]"A good friend listens to your adventures. A best friend makes them with you."[/big] -Unknown

[big]"The thinker dies, but his thoughts are beyond the reach of destruction. Men are mortal; but ideas are immortal."[/big][/i]- Richard Adams

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »
I hope you will like the next four chapters Vesper :)

Here is chapter 5.  I must warn you that this chapter contains descriptions of animal cruelty that some readers may find upsetting.  If you don't think you can handle this, you may wish to skip the part in spoiler tags.  Also, if you haven't read TFWD, Quiens and Melsa are two does who live at Watership Down.

CHAPTER 5: EL-AHRAIRAH AND THE CRUEL HUMAN

“There is no kind way to rip the skin off animals' backs. Anyone who wears any fur shares the blame for the torture and gruesome deaths of millions of animals each year.”
--Natalie Imbruglia

The next morning after silflay, most of the rabbits were relaxing in the great burrow, awaiting the challenge of the day, hoping it wouldn't be as bad as the previous ones.  A while later, Prince Rainbow announced what it was, easing their worries:
-”Today's challenge is storytelling.  Hazel, Pipkin and Woundwort, each of you will tell a story.  The best storyteller receives some flayrah, and the worst gets evicted.  General, you begin.”
The General took his place in the centre of the burrow, and started to tell his story:
-”The humans were destroying everything, like they do all the time.  Frith was angry at how they were killing many innocent creatures.  So he decided to do something about it.  He started a fire...”
-”That's too violent, Woundwort,” complained Prince Rainbow.  “Tell another story.  If you try this again, I'm evicting you.”
General Woundwort remained silent for a few moments, thinking about his choices.  He hated being held prisoner in this warren, but if he was evicted, he would be unable to have revenge against Hazel, Hyzenthlay and the others.  His desire for revenge was stronger than his hatred of Prince Rainbow.
-”Very well.  A stupid human was having trouble with his hrududu.  It stubbornly refused to move, until he got his gun and shot it a few times.  Then, it did move, but not where he had expected.  It flew to Inlé and crashed there.  The human remains there to this day.  The end.”
-”Very good, General,” said Prince Rainbow.  “Pipkin, you're next.”
-”Hazel, I've never told a story in front of such a large crowd before.  I'm...I'm afraid,” confided Pipkin.
-”It's all right, Hlao-roo, we've all been there at some point.  I tell you, everything will be all right,” answered the Chief Rabbit.
-”Of course everything will be all right!” said Bluebell with a smirk.  “Tell him the story of El-ahrairah and the cruel human.”
-”Thank you for the suggestion, Bluebell.”
Pipkin began.

==========
Spoiler: ShowHide

“There was a time when El-ahrairah and his people were in very bad shape.  It had not rained in hrair cycles of Inlé.  The grass was very dry and everyone was close to starvation.  El-ahrairah and Rabscuttle spent their days searching for food, but to no avail.  The bad weather had spread everywhere and all nearby farms seemed abandoned.

El-ahrairah considered relocating the warren to another land far away, but quickly rejected the idea: his people were extremely weak, many would not survive the journey, and there was no guarantee that they would find a suitable location.  Quite simply, there was nothing he could do but pray to Frith that the rain would come back soon.

One day, Prince Rainbow approached El-ahrairah, saying:
-”Well, El-ahrairah, how have things been going lately?”
-”Not very well, my Lord.  My people are starving, and there is nothing I can do about it.”
-”Why don't you trick the clouds into producing rain?”
-”I would do that, my Lord, but you would not appreciate it, and you would punish me.”
-”You're right about that.  I would punish you.  I guess you'll have to wait for the rain to come of its own free will.”
This conversation angered El-ahrairah very much, for he knew that Prince Rainbow was, to a degree, responsible for the heat wave.  To make things worse, there was nothing he could do about it.

The next day, El-ahrairah and Rabscuttle went on yet another patrol for food, this time going very close to a human village, far closer than they ever had gone before.  The knew the risks, but by this point, they had nothing to lose.  Then, suddenly, they found it.

There was a large garden, full of hrair types of fresh flayrah.  There was a small fence surrounding it, but they quickly dug a tunnel underneath it and started to feast on the greens.  It was extremely refreshing and they were filled with a wave of pleasure with each bite.  After a while, they were satisfied, and decided to carry some flayrah back to the warren for everyone else to eat.  They were in the process of carrying it out of the garden when, suddenly, Rabscuttle stamped.  El-ahrairah bolted back to the other side of the fence and took cover under a pile of dead leaves.  He then realized that he was alone: Rabscuttle was still in danger in the garden!  He looked, and saw his owsla captain under the fence, stuck due to the lettuce he was carrying.  Worst of all, a human had arrived; he grabbed Rabscuttle and went into a nearby building.

El-ahrairah sat there and thought.  He had been involved in hrair rescues, but none of them had involved going so close to humans.  Rabscuttle was not just his owsla captain, he was also his best friend, and he could not leave him there at the mercy of humans.  Since he could not not afford to waste any time by going back to the warren to get other rabbits, he would have to rescue him alone.

El-ahrairah went back under the fence and followed the human's tracks.  There were many of them, but he could clearly see which ones were the most recent.  He found himself face to face with a large barn.  He rapidly dug a tunnel under the wall and went inside.  What he saw was dreadful.”

Pipkin paused.  There were several stories, like that of El-ahrairah and the Black Rabbit of Inlé, that scared him a lot, and the one he was telling at the moment would also fit in that category.  After a few words of encouragement from Hazel, Fiver and Hyzenthlay, he found the courage to continue.

“Inside, there were many human objects for which we have no words.  But right in the middle, there was a large platform, and on top was an unconscious Rabscuttle.  He was trapped inside a terrible thing, with large branches preventing him from moving.  Some of the branches went into his ears, on his nose and under his tail.  Humans use them to send large amounts of energy into the creature, who is then filled with an extremely painful sensation everywhere in their body, as if they were burning alive, and they are unable to do anything about it.  Those who are taken by the Black Rabbit at this point are lucky, but very few of them are.  Then, the humans rip off their fur and skin while they are still alive and squealing in pain.  It is said that it is the worst possible death for any rabbit, far worse than any other type of elil.

El-ahrairah knew very well that the human aimed to kill Rabscuttle with this machine very soon.  He remembered that the energy the branches send comes from long, shining wires enveloped in a soft, pliable material that is very easy to chew, like small tree roots.  He quickly found one of these lying on the ground, and started to chew it, until he finally reached the shining wire.  He knew very well the dangers of touching it: many rabbits who had stopped running following contact with similar wires during garden raids.  He therefore took a small white stick, you know, those things humans put in their mouths to blow foul-smelling smoke?  It was lying on the floor and there was still smoke coming out of it.  He was filled with a very unpleasant sensation, and began to choke due to the smoke, but he managed to split the wire in two.  As he finished, the strange glowing eyes at the top of the building stopped giving light, and the place was filled with darkness.  I don't know much about humans, but I know one thing: they are terrible at seeing in the dark, unlike us rabbits.

The human started shouting in some incomprehensible human language, searching for another source of light.  He bumped into several of the objects across the building, cursing in pain.  Meanwhile, El-ahrairah jumped on the platform where Rabscuttle was and tried to remove the branches.  He had no problems with those in his ears, but the one on his nose went inside his mouth and was very hard to remove.  The one under his tail also penetrated his body, and caused Rabscuttle a great deal of pain.

By the time El-ahrairah had finished, the human had somehow made the eyes bright again and was staring at the two rabbits.  El-ahrairah kept urging Rabscuttle to move, but he was still unconscious and did not hear him.  El-ahrairah would have to resort to the most dangerous thing he ever had done before: tricking a human.  He called out to Prince Rainbow, who arrived shortly afterwards, bursting through the roof, not unlike Kehaar did yesterday.
-”I see you have gone on one raid too many, El-ahrairah, and your tricks have finally caught up with you!” said Prince Rainbow mockingly.
-”My Lord, it is your fault I am doing this,” explained El-ahrairah.  “If you hadn't caused this heat wave, I never would have gone here.”
-”But that was exactly my goal, El-ahrairah.  You see, all this was just an elaborate trick to get rid of you.  I manipulated that human's mind so he would plant a garden in the wilderness here.  I knew you and Rabscuttle would come, and he would capture you two and turn you into beautiful fur coats.”
Their argument was cut short by loud stamping and screaming.  The human was running away with his arms in the air, screaming as he went.
-”Now you see what you've done?  He's off to tell the human owsla what just happened, how I exist and you spoke, and they will probably send him to an asylum!  Really great!”
-”That's exactly what I was hoping would happen, my Lord.””

-”What is an “asylum”?” asked Hazel.
-”I don't really understand it myself,” replied Pipkin.  “When Dandelion told me this story, he said it was a place where all the insane humans live.  I assume they are kept in conditions similar to what rabbits in Efrafa faced before Campion-rah took control.” He then resumed his story:

“Prince Rainbow continued to complain:
-”And now, I have to prevent him from being sent there, and fast!  Thanks for the trouble!”
He shot out of the roof, leaving the two rabbits alone in the building.  By this point, Rabscuttle had woken up.  The branch the human had placed in his mouth had hurt his tongue, making it hard for him to speak, but apart from that, he was mostly unharmed.  El-ahrairah dug a scrape just outside the garden, and the two rabbits stayed there for a few days until Rabscuttle got all his strength back.  They then left the terrible garden, taking lots of flayrah with them.  Their warren was saved, and shortly afterwards, the rain came back and grass started to grow again.

As for Prince Rainbow, nobody really knows what happened to him in the human village.  Some say the humans thought he was another human disguised as a character from a popular story.  Others think he was arrested by the human owsla.  Another theory is that all the humans fired their guns at him.  But Dandelion told me that he personally believes that Prince Rainbow spent a full set of seasons to organize an escape from the asylum, only to realize that the human he wanted to save had stayed behind.”

==========

As Pipkin finished, everyone in the burrow praised him for a job well-done.  Cowslip was laughing uncontrollably.  Even the General, who wanted to kill Pipkin when he had compared the asylum with Efrafa, and didn't for the sole reason that he was pinned to the ground by Hazel and Hyzenthlay, was extremely satisfied with the last part of the story.  Everyone was happy, except Prince Rainbow...
-”How...how DARE you humiliate me like that, you dirty little...GET OUT!  OUT!  OUT!!!”
He threw increasingly powerful fireballs with each “out”, but due to his anger, he was not aiming very well.  Pipkin ran out of the warren as fast as he could, and found Kehaar foraging in the field.
-”Kehaar, Bluebell once said you would fly me to the moon if necessary.  Well, I'm going to need that now!”
-”Ees day!  Vere is no moon.”
-”Fly me to the clouds then!”
He climbed on the gull's back, who took off and flew over the trees just before Prince Rainbow arrived.
-”YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS!  NOBODY HUMILIATES ME LIKE THAT!  Now, where was I?  Oh, yes.  Hazel, it's your turn to tell a story.”
Hazel, who had followed him above ground, looked at him sadly, and told his story:
-”There was a prince, who had a great domain and many powers.  He had everything he could hope for.   But he was mean.  He did everything he could to make the lives of those who displeased him miserable.  And most of the time, he succeeded.  The end.”
He then went back to his burrow, along with most of the others.  Under ordinary circumstances, Prince Rainbow would have evicted Hazel too, but he was still too angry at Pipkin to do anything about it.

==========

A group of humans were playing poker and drinking tea at Nuthanger Farm, when suddenly one of them pointed out the window.
-”What's zat?”
-”What's what?”
A bright light suddenly appeared in the middle of the sky.
-”Zat!”
-”Ah dunno.  Fireworks?”
-”At zis time o' day?”
-”Well, I'll check it out tomorra, 'kay?  Now it's yur turn ta bet!”

==========

That day at ni-Frith silflay, Clover made another attempt at bringing her kittens above ground.  It was the complete opposite of the previous day.  Previously, the kittens were cautious and nervous, but this time they simply ran everywhere without a care in the world.  At first, Clover tried to keep an eye on them to make sure they stayed safe, but she soon realized that she was unable to watch all of them at the same time, since they were running in opposite directions.  She therefore asked others for help her.

A group of rabbits was assembled around the warren to watch the kittens, and capture them if they ventured too far.  At first, Thethuthinnang found this idea horrifying, as it reminded her of Efrafa.  However, she was soon forced to admit that the kittens were still too young and inexperienced to fend for themselves, and therefore should not stray too far from the warren.  She even volunteered to help keep them under control, along with Dandelion, Quiens, Speedwell and Melsa.
-”You know things are out of control when it takes hrair rabbits to watch four kittens,” complained Hawkbit.
-”Perhaps we could use one more,” said Bigwig.
-”Maybe.  I'm sure Haystack would be willing to help her old friend.”
-”Perhaps she would.  And perhaps you could help her?”
-”Me?  Why me?  Haystack is a doe.  She has more experience with kittens.”
-”Your argument is flawed, Hawkbit.  She never had kittens, although Boxwood hopes she will soon.  You would be better for the job.  GO!”
Hawkbit grumbled, but nevertheless took a spot on the edge of the Down, ready to catch any kitten who came his way.  He vowed never to have kittens: he already had enough trouble dealing with other rabbits' kittens without having any of his own.

Blackberry was at silflay, keeping a distracted eye on the kittens.  He had had a bad night, filled with nightmares of Prince Rainbow tormenting his prisoners and physically torturing a few.  Luckily, it was only a dream (at least, he hoped it was only a dream, since he had no way to know).  To make things worse, he had still not been able to come up with any realistic rescue plan.

As he took a bite out of a fresh piece of lettuce he had stolen from Nuthanger Farm that morning, one of kittens crashed into him, knocking him down.  She mumbled a quick apology and jumped off, burying her claws in his fur.  Luckily, they were too short to do any real damage.

However, he did not get back up.  He remained lying on his side with his eyes closed, thinking.  The collision had given him an idea, and he slowly let the ideas organize themselves.  It was crazy, but it might be crazy enough to work.
-”Blackberry, are you all right?”
Blackberry slowly opened his eyes, and saw another rabbit standing over him, looking at him worriedly; it was Strawberry.  He immediately scrambled back to his feet.
-”Strawberry!  It's nice to see you.  When did you get here?  How are you?  How are things at Vleflain?”
-”Blackberry.” Strawberry smiled.  “I got here just moments ago.  I was a bit worried when I saw you lying there...it's great you're alive.  As for Vleflain, it hasn't been going very well.  Campion was supposed to visit us, but he didn't show up.  I decided to visit here to get my mind off things.”
-”I know where Campion is.  He is at a strange warren where Prince Rainbow is keeping him prisoner.”
-”What?”
-”He's not there only one there.  Hazel, Hyzenthlay, Fiver, Pipkin, Vilthuril, Bluebell, Woundwort, Cowslip and...”
-”Cowslip...” repeated Strawberry, as he looked at the ground. He awkwardly turned his head and stared in the distance for a few moments, thinking about his tragic past at Cowslip's warren.  “I...I'm rather tired after this journey, I think I'll go take a nap in the Honeycomb.”
As Strawberry slowly hopped away with his ears drooping to the sides of his head, Blackberry realized he had made a mistake by mentioning Cowslip.  He knew Strawberry well, and all mentions of the place where he had been born triggered painful memories of the long-dead love of his life, Nildro-hain.  When this happened, the best course of action was to leave him alone until he felt better.  On several prior occasions others had tried to help him and failed.

Blackberry was still reflecting on the situation when another rabbit collided with him, knocking him over on his back.  It was Clover.
-”I'm sorry Blackberry,” she said.  “I was in a mad chase and I didn't realize you were there until it was too late.”
-”Don't worry about it, you didn't hurt me.”
-”Have you thought of any ideas to save the others from that dreadful Prince Rainbow?”
-”Actually, I think I might have something.  You said that Prince Rainbow likes to throw fireballs?”
-”He did that several times when I was there.  What is your plan?”
-”All of us go to the warren and we try to keep Prince Rainbow distracted.  While he throws fireballs at all of us, the prisoners sneak away.  And then we run away too.”
Clover stood motionless on Blackberry's abdomen for a few moments, dumbstruck.
-”That's never going to work, we'll all get hurt!”
-”That's what I was afraid of,” replied Blackberry sadly.  “Looks like I'll have to start over...”
The two rabbits were interrupted by squealing further away.  They both turned their heads to see what was happening: the four kittens had Dandelion pinned to the ground and were tickling him.
-”Not again...” mumbled Clover, as she hopped off Blackberry to rescue Dandelion.  Blackberry slowly got back up and shook the dirt out of his fur.  With a sigh, he tried to think of other ideas.  This rescue plan was going to be much more complicated than helping the does escape from Efrafa.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:57:44 AM by Chipster-roo »

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »
Woundwort had to tell a dark story, BLuebell a meaningless or funny story XD, Hazel on the real situation ............ It's quite ironic, that the best story out of Pipkin, and even so Banished for humiliating the rainbow prince. Which was also very rare, to hear a story about yourself.
However what kind of lunatic human was it? Surely one who enjoys torturing animals. Those are the most contemptible of the world and have no forgiveness of God. Luckily, El-arhara was there to save his dear friend and captain of Owsla Rabscutle.

And seriously, it gives me a lot of love, seeing Clover tending to his babies, running around, while the bitter Hackbit and Uncle Bigwig help. It seems to be, that this is coming to its conclusion.
I have a good plan.   :blackberry4

I love Watership Down!

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 10:20:08 PM »
Thank you Acacia :)

Perhaps Pipkin has some hidden talents :pipkin2 :prince-rainbow

Unfortunately many humans enjoy torturing animals :bigwig Thankfully El-ahrairah helped get rid of one :rabscuttle

I had a lot of fun writing the scenes with Clover :clover :gilia

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 02:23:10 PM »
Pipkin is talented: He can become friends with all animals, including falcons and bats. That is why he is the leader of the Wosla Jr. I also remember that in the Christmas episode, he also knows how to tell stories, in the absence of Dandileon.

And really, disgusting bad people who mistreat animals and kill them, there is a special hell for them.

Continue with the story Hipster-Roo.   :clover   :mallow  :pipkin2  :snowdrop2  :snowdrop
I love Watership Down!

Offline Vesper

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2017, 05:34:17 PM »
xDDD I love where this story is going, dear Chipster. Keep up the amazing work, my dear friend. :)  :fiver *Loving Nuzzles with a fond hug*