Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Poll

Who should be together for all eternity?

Bigwig/Thethuthinnang
2 (18.2%)
Boxwood/Haystack
0 (0%)
Clover/Holly
1 (9.1%)
Fiver/Vilthuril
3 (27.3%)
Hazel/Hyzenthlay
5 (45.5%)
Nildro-hain/Strawberry
0 (0%)
El-ahrairah/Nur-Rama
0 (0%)
Flairgold/Glanbrin
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Favourite canon couple (books)  (Read 858 times)

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Favourite canon couple (books)
« on: September 26, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
I hope I didn't forget anyone, please let me know if I did...

Anyway, who is your favourite couple in the WD books? :hazel :hyzenthlay :fiver :vilthuril :strawberry :bigwig

The last two options involve characters from El-ahrairah stories in TFWD.  As far as I can remember, no individual relationships were mentioned in the El-ahrairah stories of the original book.

Quote from: ZB poll results
Boxwood/Haystack: 1 (10%)   
Clover/Holly: 2 (20%)   
Fiver/Vilthuril: 2 (20%)   
Hazel/Hyzenthlay: 3 (30%)   
Nildro-hain/Strawberry: 2 (20%)   
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:18:46 PM by Chipster-roo »
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline florapaw

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by florapaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 06:34:30 PM »
i quite like boxwood and haystack because theyve just been taken from their hutch and thrown into the wild. they deserve something familiar

edit: i was half-asleep when i wrote this oh my god what does this even mean
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:13:39 AM by florapaw »

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:05:58 PM »
I think you make an interesting point Florapaw.  Boxwood and Haystack weren't as interested in living in the wilderness as Clover.  It's a whole new life and it a difficult one.  Having each other can be of great comfort to them.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Offline CockatielPony

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:52:07 PM »
It's kind of hard to pick since the book doesn't really focuse on romance.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 08:23:29 PM »
In the book, I'm pretty sure the rabbits have no concept of romantic love, given they're, y'know, rabbits. I know I barely remember any of these couples. Twist my arm and I guess I'll say Strawberry and Nildro-hain, if only because I actually remember that they were mates and Strawberry showed some emotion on Nildro-hain's death. Although, that might just be because he was upset that his kits died along with her, preventing him from passing down his genes.

Offline florapaw

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 09:18:27 PM »
while i agree and quite like that the rabbits hold no real "romantic" feelings for each other, even for realistic purposes, i tend to think that what strawberry and nildro-hain had was legitimate fondness for each other. strawberry seemed way too despondent at her death for it to be a simple gene thing. besides, in the craziness of cowslips warren, youd like to have some sort of constant to ground you, right?

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 11:58:51 PM »
Quote from: florapaw on Sep 27 2017, 05:18:27 PM
while i agree and quite like that the rabbits hold no real "romantic" feelings for each other, even for realistic purposes, i tend to think that what strawberry and nildro-hain had was legitimate fondness for each other. strawberry seemed way too despondent at her death for it to be a simple gene thing. besides, in the craziness of cowslips warren, youd like to have some sort of constant to ground you, right?
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at that being the case either. It's just fun to be cynical sometimes.

Offline florapaw

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 04:27:08 AM »
true, true

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 06:48:53 PM »
I voted for hazel and prim. But you forget to Hawkbit x Dandelion      :hannah4
https://8-bit-britt.deviantart.com/art/Watership-Down-Caught-You-Napping-599160201
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 09:27:09 PM »
I voted for Clover/Holly. I like idea of this relationship where Holly (as soldier and former Captain) teaches Clover the ways of the rabbits and how to survive in the wild, while Clover helps Holly manage PTSD he certainly got from being witness to destruction of Sandleford. Clover could use having somebody who would care about her and believe she can thrive in the warren despite being raised in a hutch, although I imagine that Holly would initially be a bit skeptical.

Quote from: Acacia Heartstrings on  
But you forget to Hawkbit x Dandelion :hannah4
https://8-bit-britt.deviantart.com/art/Watership-D...

Well... Technically this is topic about canon book relationships, but other than that... Yeah, I would vote for them too. :D
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 11:19:42 PM »
You all make some interesting points.

Florapaw's theory about Strawberry and Nildro-hain is very interesting, and quite likely to be accurate.  Although, that makes the whole thing even sadder :( Poor buns...

Myrkin also makes some interesting points about Clover...all couples are great in their own way! :D

Anyway, I voted for Fiver/Vilthuril (they're just too cute together :fiver :vilthuril ) and Hazel/Hyzenthlay (two great leaders, also they are really cute :hazel2 :hyzenthlay )

There are three votes unaccounted for...one for Clover/Holly, one for Hazel/Hyzenthlay and one for Nildro-hain/Strawberry.  Who are you, mysterious voters? ;)

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 01:08:33 AM »
For Clover/Holly, I'm the second voter. Myrkin's reasoning made me go d'aw, das nice, so I ended up throwing them in as second when I finally actually voted. No idea about the other ones.

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »
Quote from: Myrkin on Sep 28 2017, 05:27:09 PM
I voted for Clover/Holly. I like idea of this relationship where Holly (as soldier and former Captain) teaches Clover the ways of the rabbits and how to survive in the wild, while Clover helps Holly manage PTSD he certainly got from being witness to destruction of Sandleford. Clover could use having somebody who would care about her and believe she can thrive in the warren despite being raised in a hutch, although I imagine that Holly would initially be a bit skeptical.

Quote from: Acacia Heartstrings on  
But you forget to Hawkbit x Dandelion :hannah4
https://8-bit-britt.deviantart.com/art/Watership-D...

Well... Technically this is topic about canon book relationships, but other than that... Yeah, I would vote for them too. :D
you never know. They can become more than just XD friends. Besides that hawckbit is adorable enough to get along with Dandileon. My vote would be for them in that category hehehe. Leo agrees with me ... I think  :hannah4
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 08:42:48 PM »
I should make a thread about these two :D

It's interesting how, excluding mythological couples, Bigwig/Thethuthinnang is the only couple to have 0 votes.  I guess that makes sense, since Bigwig isn't very romantic :bigwig

Offline Vesper

• dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist "Sentio Ergo Sum"
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Vesper
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 01:07:26 PM »
I accidentally pressed vote for none, :/ I wanted to vote for all, though it would not allow me.
[big][big][small]"Yet, even amidst the Hatred and Carnage, Life is still worth living. It is possible for Wonderful Encounters and Beautiful things to exist."[/small][/big][/big]- Hayou Miyazaki

[big]"I will have Poetry in my life. And Adventure. And Love. Love above all."[/big]
- Shakespeare In Love[/i][/i]

[big]dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist [/big] "I am Drunk when I Write, I become Sober when I Edit"

[big]"A good friend listens to your adventures. A best friend makes them with you."[/big] -Unknown

"[big]Hope will never be Silent."[/big] -Harvey Milk

[big]"The thinker dies, but his thoughts are beyond the reach of destruction. Men are mortal; but ideas are immortal."[/big][/i]- Richard Adams