Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Won't air until late 2018?  (Read 954 times)

Offline Rabscuttle

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Rabscuttle
    • View Profile
Won't air until late 2018?
« on: October 11, 2017, 08:41:35 AM »
Pan Macmillan will be the global publishing partner for a new CGI mini-series based on Richard Adams’ Watership Down, co-produced by the BBC and Netflix.

The deal, brokered between Pan Mac and ITV Studios Global Entertainment, covers all territories and languages and will see new tie-in titles issued in the second half of 2018 to coincide with the broadcast premier on the BBC (in the UK) and on Netflix (globally, excluding the UK).

The book publishing incorporates imagery and stills from the series to ensure “a cohesive and contemporary feel” alongside the broadcasts, according to Pan Mac. It includes a full-colour illustrated hardback (£12.99) that takes artwork from the animation to bring the Watership Down story to life, and a “high-end, intricately illustrated” colouring book (£10 paperback).

The books are aimed at a family audience, as is theTV series,which hopes to bring Adams’ tale to a new generation, as well as to fans of the original novel, which sold more than 50 million copies worldwide.

Behind the CGI mini-series is BAFTA-nominated scriptwriter Tom Bidwell, who called on an all-star cast which included James McAvoy as Hazel, John Boyega as Bigwig, Sir Ben Kingsley as General Woundwort and Nicholas Hoult as Fiver, as well as Olivia Colman, Miles Jupp, Freddie Fox, Anne-Marie Duff and Gemma Arterton.

Stephanie Barton, who acquired the property for Pan Mac, said: “This classic story has touched the hearts of adults and children for over 40 years, and this new interpretation has given us the most wonderful opportunity to bring it to a whole new family audience. It’s a privilege to work on this extraordinary brand and our creatively exciting publishing captures all the emotional power and stunning visual world of the series.”

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:18:54 PM »
(link to the quoted article)

I kinda expected it to be delayed, but it's still rather disappointing.

However, this sounds awesome!  I WANT THESE BOOKS.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline CockatielPony

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • FHC contest winner:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 08:00:37 PM »
Awwe that's disappointing I was really looking forward for it to come out this year we were so close
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Rabscuttle

• Hlessi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 07:21:54 AM »
Yeah, the Netflix site still lists 2017 as the date but this article makes it sound pretty clear that the broadcast premier will be in the second half of 2018.

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »
He is saying that he wants to reach a general public. I just hope it will at least have as good quality as the WD animation of 2000, and I will be happy, that is to say that the story is well developed.
At least that ...   :blackberry4
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Rabscuttle

• Hlessi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 06:38:40 PM »
ITV Studios Global Entertainment has named Pan Macmillan as its master strategic publishing partner for the CGI series, Watership Down.

In a deal that covers all territories and languages, Pan Macmillan will launch the media tie-in publishing range from A/W 2018 to coincide with the broadcast premiere.

Inspired by the Richard Adams literary classic, the four-part animated series will premier on BBC in the UK and globally on Netflix in 2018, starring the likes of James McAvoy, John Boyega, Sir Ben Kingsley and Nicholas Hoult, alongside Olivia Coleman, Miles Jupp, Freddie Fox and Gemma Atherton.

The proposed publishing programme will incorporate imagery and stills from the programme across both Pan Macmillan’s Gift Picture Story Book and Colouring book. The mini-series is aimed at an older family audience.

Following publishing, other licensed product will roll out from A/W 2018, with deals already underway and due to be announced in the coming weeks.

Trudi Hayward, SVP global head of merchandise at ITVS GE, said: “We are delighted to be working with the award-winning team at Pan Macmillan on the publishing programme. Their passion for the project, attention to detail and understanding of their craft is shining through already, and we are excited to bring these media tie-in editions to a whole new generations of families.”

Offline florapaw

• Silver
    • Show only replies by florapaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:37:24 PM »

Offline Claws

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 10:23:09 PM »
Indeed, flora.

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 07:02:45 AM »
Delayed, delayed and... delayed.

Memories of Duke Nukem Forever come back.

I suggest to rename the series to

Watership Nukem Down Forever

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Rabscuttle

• Hlessi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »
I did think it was interesting that the second article says they want to reach an "older" family audience and that more tie ins will be announced in the upcoming weeks.

Offline CockatielPony

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 11:24:26 PM »
This artical has a little drawing on top of the page with a watership down sketch. I wonder if that was some concept art used or jest a random drawing.

I think in the picture it shows Bigwig, Fiver, Hazel, and Blackberry.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:25:23 PM by CockatielPony »
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Vesper

• dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist "Sentio Ergo Sum"
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Vesper
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 11:24:49 AM »
I actually thought so too and if it is, then I'm hoping the time added from the delay will be used wisely, hopefully.
[big][big][small]"Yet, even amidst the Hatred and Carnage, Life is still worth living. It is possible for Wonderful Encounters and Beautiful things to exist."[/small][/big][/big]- Hayou Miyazaki

[big]"I will have Poetry in my life. And Adventure. And Love. Love above all."[/big]
- Shakespeare In Love[/i][/i]

[big]dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist [/big] "I am Drunk when I Write, I become Sober when I Edit"

[big]"A good friend listens to your adventures. A best friend makes them with you."[/big] -Unknown

"[big]Hope will never be Silent."[/big] -Harvey Milk

[big]"The thinker dies, but his thoughts are beyond the reach of destruction. Men are mortal; but ideas are immortal."[/big][/i]- Richard Adams

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 04:03:14 PM »
So this will be the concept taken to the CGI. I hope this good animated and not as petter rabbit of the company SONY ...... Even so I think ... I will see it XD
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Silver
    • Show only replies by Magic-Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 05:11:28 PM »
I'd rather it be delayed for a year and have it blow my mind than have it be rushed and disappoint me.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."- Lord Frith

Offline Vesper

• dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist "Sentio Ergo Sum"
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Vesper
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 04:30:25 PM »
:dandelion Yes, I do hope the wait will be worth it.  :silverweed3
[big][big][small]"Yet, even amidst the Hatred and Carnage, Life is still worth living. It is possible for Wonderful Encounters and Beautiful things to exist."[/small][/big][/big]- Hayou Miyazaki

[big]"I will have Poetry in my life. And Adventure. And Love. Love above all."[/big]
- Shakespeare In Love[/i][/i]

[big]dplutonium13 Fanfic Writer/Artist [/big] "I am Drunk when I Write, I become Sober when I Edit"

[big]"A good friend listens to your adventures. A best friend makes them with you."[/big] -Unknown

"[big]Hope will never be Silent."[/big] -Harvey Milk

[big]"The thinker dies, but his thoughts are beyond the reach of destruction. Men are mortal; but ideas are immortal."[/big][/i]- Richard Adams