Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: General Woundwort  (Read 899 times)

Offline Keith

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Keith
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
General Woundwort
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:46:53 PM »
How's about a topic about the Big Baddie of the series (the book, movie, and TV show)?

Woundwort, Woundwort, Woundwort. One of the most complex characters in the series and one of my favourites. Book Woundwort was one scary rabbit. He had a whole warren kept under a frighteningly tight leash and concocted an efficient way of oppressing it's inhabitants. He was a beast in battle and could even organize and coordinate his troops in the worst conditions. When you learned about this guy and saw him in action, you wouldn't have much hope for the main characters. And it's only by blind luck they get away. We learn quite a bit about why he does what he does and how he executes it with frightening efficiency, and we also learn about his past to make him interesting as well as frightening.

Movie Woundwort is just a plank of wood with a scary face drawn on it.

Series Woundwort is either seriously on par with Book Woundwort, or maybe even surpasses him. We get a lot of the same backstory from the book, but we also get scenes like his time with Pipkin. He's trying to win over Pipkin but has a hard time justifying what he does to the only rabbit in Efrafa who doesn't blindly follow him. And when he tries to make peace but then gets his warren destroyed by Hazel. He then decides there's no difference between them. And also his overall relationship with Campion and how he deals with his betrayal.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:47:23 PM by Keith »
"Mercy is for Fools, the dead shall lie where I powned them!!"

Youtube Channel
My Tumblr
My Facebook
My Twitter
My Blog

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
General Woundwort
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 04:04:23 PM »
Yes, Woundwort IS the reason, why the series is so great!

An impressive personality, driven by fear with a sad past; only to become pure madness on earth. A strong warrior with perfect voice actors (John Hurt in Season 1+2 was strong and powerful - the voice actor of season 3 (who voiced him?  :huh ) was evil and nasty - could be a death metal singer :D ).

When you see Woundwort in the series, you realize that he as a strong and powerful warrior, whom no one of Watership Down - even Bigwig - could beat in fight - even not in single combat (remember the finale of the series). But also when serveral rabbits attack him (his training in episode 2.01 or when he fights his own people in episode 3.01) he stands his ground. If Campion wouldn't have saved Bigwig in the season 2 finale, Woundwort would have killed him easily.

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Mallow

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Mallow
    • View Profile
General Woundwort
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 05:57:55 PM »
I stumbled onto this youtube video that provides a detailed account of general Woundwort's character profile.

I enjoyed this file because it covers the book, movie, and TV series.

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
General Woundwort
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:48:39 PM »
That's pretty good summary of Woundwort's character in all versions of story. I think the author of the video made one tiny mistake though. He said Blackavar (in the book) was captain in the warren conquered by Woundwort. If I remember correctly, Blackavar's mother came from that warren, but he was actually born in Efrafa.
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
General Woundwort
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 09:19:09 PM »
I don't want to start a new topic for this, so I use this one:

I always wondered, who has spoken Woundwort in the third season. I'm pretty sure, it's not John Hurt.

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Claws

• Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
General Woundwort
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 12:57:01 AM »
Quote from: Darkling Nocturnal on Mar 4 2015, 04:19:09 PM

I always wondered, who has spoken Woundwort in the third season. I'm pretty sure, it's not John Hurt.

You know? That's weird, he remains a mystery even for Wikipedia... it must really suck to be overlooked like that.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:57:36 AM by Silverweed's Claws »

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
General Woundwort
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 11:52:18 AM »
If it was John Hurt, he'd be in the credits.  From what I know, only Bigwig, Fiver, Vervain, Campion, and Hawkbit retained their original voice throughout the entire series.  Figuring out from the 3rd season credits who's/who isn't easy.

Stephen Mangan is Bigwig
Andrew Falvey is Fiver
Lee Ross is Hawkbit
Rob Rackstraw is Campion and Silverweed (on some scenes he literally talks to himself)
David Holt is Vervain

Of the others:

Richard Briers is Captain Broom
Anthony Jackson is Kehaar
Paul Panting is Strawberry

Unknown:  Not sure who Nigel Pegram covers, plus I'm no good with any of the female voices.  My guess would be that one of the regulars has taken on multiple characters.  If I had to take a guess Rob Rackstraw could be doing Woundwort given he's a professional voice actor.

Offline Hyzenthlay69

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Hyzenthlay69
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
General Woundwort
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 05:47:41 AM »
Who was the actor who voiced Woundwort in the 1978 movie?  That actor's voice suited Woundwort, deep, powerful, gravelly, mean.

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
General Woundwort
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 08:14:40 AM »
According to this page:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078480/

It was Harry Andrews.
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Hyzenthlay69

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Hyzenthlay69
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
General Woundwort
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 05:12:17 AM »
The description of him...'massive granite face' is a bit like Woundwort lol.

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
  • Love voice acting in cartoons
    • Show only replies by Magic-Rabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
General Woundwort
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 02:10:20 AM »
Quote from: Darkling Nocturnal on Mar 4 2015, 04:19:09 PM

John Hurt was fired as the voice at the end of season 2 like so many others and replaced.

So it was done by actor Nigel Pegram if you're wondering about Woundwort's voice in Season 3 he also voiced Moss and Dandelion. Doing the deep voice for Woundwort, a mildly deep voice for Moss and a falsetto for Dandelion.

Sorry for bringing a forum post back from extinction but you seemed puzzled so I thought I'd help you figure out your answer. :)

:woundwort3

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:23:51 PM by Magic-Rabbit »
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."- Lord Frith