Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Gay Ships? Yes or No  (Read 461 times)

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Gay Ships? Yes or No
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 11:47:20 PM »
Speaking of El-ahrairah, a couple of years ago I thought about scenario where he would be paired with Hufsa and I talked with Chibiscuit about it:

Quote from: Myrkin (some time ago)
Recently I was thinking of pairing between El-ahrairah and Hufsa. What if Prince Rainbow's spy felt guilty about reporting on El-ahrairah's plans, even if he though it is for greater good (because if El-ahrairah's plots and theft attempts fail, then they can bring no further wrath upon all rabbit-kind)? What if Hufsa started developing genuine respect and liking for a rabbit who was so ready to accept him into the warren (not to mention his burrow), even though that was practically forced on El-ahrairah by Prince Rainbow? What if he felt affection for rabbit prince and it led him into confessing his role as a spy?

I imagined that in this kind of situation, El-ahrairah would still execute his plan from "The Story of the Trial of El-ahrairah", but in this version Hufsa would be in on the plan as way of proving his new loyalty and that he no longer wish to be a spy. The rest of the story would play out mostly like in original, but after the trial Hufsa would be allowed by El-ahrairah to stay in the warren. Then they would be able to continue their relationship, but this time without any dishonesty or secrets standing between them. :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:34:36 PM by Chipster-roo »
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Dandelion
  • Aya ~The Bunny Cat ~
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Gay Ships? Yes or No
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 04:25:02 PM »
Quote from: Hammy, Jan 25 2018, 02:31:53 PM
Quote from: Myrkin, Jan 25 2018, 07:24:16 AM
Now there is a ship that would have to develop over a long time, as turning them from enemies to lovers wouldn't be easy. Maybe it would have to start even before Woundwort took over Efrafa and established his system. I think it would have to require Vervain to become a little braver and less "I'm here to chew grass and find traitors to Efrafa, and I'm all out of grass".
That'd be a grand idea, actually. Even before Woundwort, they find each other impossible and hard to understand, and they butt heads and kinda challenge each other as such. Vervain is a enormous coward, but he's perceptive and clever, most of the time anyway. Campion is brave and strong and pretty smart too, but he's more Black Rabbit than Elahrairah here. Both of them want Efrafa to improve, and they probably have to work together, but they operate in different ways. I can see them really complementing each other's personality and methods in their younger years. They cover each other's bases, Campion pushing Vervain to be brave and keep his chin up, and Vervain coming up with tricks to get them both out of trouble.

Then once Woundwort arrives on the scene, Vervain gets more cowardly as he clings to Woundwort and Campion gets more uncertain of the entire ordeal, and you know how that goes. I'd have loved to seen Vervain and Campion reunite post-Campion's death. I don't quite remember the timeline, haven't the show in a while, but imagine that, Campion finds Vervain instead of the Down rabbits, and he drags Vervain out of his own mess, the way he used to when they were young. Vervain asks Campion what happened to him, and Campion asks "Whatever happened to us? And the warren?" and they talk. If nothing else, it's an interesting angle for character development, especially on development starved Vervain. I admit my biases on this one.
This is quite in line with what I was thinking about them. I like the thought of Campion and Vervain actually getting along (even being friends) when they were younger. Their relation being pretty much like you described. I can imagine it would decline once Woundwort appears and Efrafa starts to change over time. But still, even by the time of the start of the series, it seems like Campion still doesn't despise Vervain since he even went out of his way to cover for him to Woundwort (I can't remember exactly but I remember finding that interesting and it's what made me think they were friends once. I should rewatch the series again as well.^^) This wasn't quite true anymore for Vervain though since he was quick and eager to give up on Campion first chance he got.

I think Campion actively became hostile to Vervain because of WSD and his loyalty to them. Or perhaps already a bit earlier because of Primrose?

Either way, a scene where Campion finds Vervain would have been interesting.
But hey I'm biased too. Any extra character development for Vervain is welcomed by me.

Speaking of El-ahrairah, a couple of years ago I thought about scenario where he would be paired with Hufsa and I talked with Chibiscuit about it:

A couple of years. Wow, I really have gone *poof* for much longer than I had thought.

I remember that one! You made a very good observation about El-Ahrairah and how he must feel guilty each and every time one of his people gets killed by elil. It makes sense but it really hadn't occurred to be before then.

But even then they might not find peace because Rainbow might (probably will) throw a fit and try to sabotage their relationship then and Rabscuttle could still be suspicious of Hufsa. Especially so if Rainbow teleports Hufsa away suddenly. Then, if Hufsa gets hurt by elil it would devastate El-Ahrairah.
(if I remember right. I still like this idea^^)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:40:08 PM by Chipster-roo »
~ Join the WSD Community Read! ~
The more, the merrier^^

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Gay Ships? Yes or No
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 12:51:56 PM »
Quote from: Chibiscuit
A couple of years. Wow, I really have gone *poof* for much longer than I had thought.

Yeah, well... It has been a while. :)

Quote from: Chibiscuit
But even then they might not find peace because Rainbow might (probably will) throw a fit and try to sabotage their relationship then and Rabscuttle could still be suspicious of Hufsa. Especially so if Rainbow teleports Hufsa away suddenly. Then, if Hufsa gets hurt by elil it would devastate El-Ahrairah.
(if I remember right. I still like this idea^^)

Indeed. He would be seeking revenge for being humiliated in "Trial of El-Ahrairah", especially if he found that that his own agent was in on the plot. He might not do physical harm to El-Ahrairah, because Frith still has some soft spot for that cheeky trickster, but he might use other methods to make him miserable. Like you said, he could teleport Hufsa away or maybe he could make it look like Hufsa is still working for him after all.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:35:11 PM by Chipster-roo »
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Gay Ships? Yes or No
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 09:30:43 PM »
I like the idea of Campion and Vervain together.  It would be nice to see them get along, and having Vervain meet Campion instead of Woundwort after Efrafa's destruction would be an interesting possibility to explore (I'll be looking forward to reading that fanfic Hammy ;) )

Quote from: florapaw, Jan 25 2018, 12:50:02 AM
I headcanon Thinial (which is said to be predominantly female-run, I believe) to have a high number of lesbian couples.
This makes sense :)

Quote from: florapaw, Jan 25 2018, 12:50:02 AM
Spartina/Blackberry.
I would be interested in hearing more about this; it sounds really interesting :)

Quote from: Carnation264, Jan 26 2018, 11:10:43 AM
I really like Fiverweed/Fiver x Silverweed. Actually, it's my favorite ship in the whole series.
I really like the relationship between thes two :) I just wish Silverweed had a more important role earlier on, instead of just appearing a few episodes before the end; this would have made it possible for him to have more scenes with Fiver.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:39:13 PM by Chipster-roo »
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Online Hammy

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Re: Gay Ships? Yes or No
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 07:46:37 AM »
Now, I'm a champion for Campion/Vervain, always will be, but, uh, rewatching the series has given me thoughts. About Woundwort and Vervain. On the cusp on season two and three, we see Woundwort save Vervain on a whim. Then that night, we see the two of them, literally, sleeping together. I always kinda figured that Woundwort's quarters would be private, and there's no other captains around. It's just Vervain and Woundwort. And, it's probably just the situation, but Woundwort seems oddly willing to spill his guts to Vervain.

I can imagine Woundwort telling Vervain, "Come sleep in my burrow tonight." a little too well, and it's kind of adorable.

Maybe I'm just going nuts, but I can ship it.

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 02:04:57 PM »
I'm still waiting for the fanfic of Leo Ra X Moss      x3   :D :wub      :moss
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 01:21:36 AM »
I might do that in Possibliities Acacia :moss

About Vervain/Woundwort, @Hammy you make some valid points.  I could easily see these two ending up together if Woundwort didn't get all carried away with his destiny.

I think @Chibiscuit once wrote a fanfic focusing almost exactly on a "come to my burrow" scenario between these two :vervain2

This ship was once jokingly mentioned by a (now-inactive :() member in another thread, and some other members seemed to like it:
I guess it would be a long road for them, from being "one charismatic brutal and a bit insane leader, and one cowardly servant, who is ordered around by the former" to becoming "a couple of very good friends with a chance for romantic love between them". A very long road.
I don't think I could ever see Woundwort and Vervain as much of a romantic lovey couple, but they could definitely fall into some sort of abusive or BDSM couple. :P The roles of the Dominant and Submissive being obvious.
And the idea of those two together isn't too much of a long throw, after their scenes together in Redstone Warren or the hunter's sack. ;)
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Claws

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • I speak:
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 01:24:19 AM »
On the subject of WoundwortxVervain thing... I always picture them as the wife-beater, eternally-annoyed-housewive type for some reason xD

Online Hammy

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 01:43:17 AM »
Oh, yeah, there's definitely issues with Woundwort and Vervain as a relationship on both sides. Woundwort is, well, Woundwort, he's a control freak to say the least, and I love Vervain, I love how delightfully cruel and conniving he is, but I don't think that he could foster any kind of meaningful relationship given his longstanding attitude. Vervain's never really had any kind of pathos or sympathy attached to him, nor does he seem to see any value in any genuine relationship.

If anything, if I were writing a fic with the two of them as the primary relationship, I'd completely erase most of season three, do away with the whole destiny thing, and have the two meet again under circumstances where Woundwort is having a journey of introspection, which he wraps Vervain up in too. The two come out better for it, having learned a lot about each other and themselves.

Come to think of it, the two are mirrors and polar opposites in terms of character. Woundwort is almost impossibly large, strong, and commanding. Vervain is almost absurdly cowardly, pretty scrawny, yet he shares (almost) all the cunning of El-ahrairah. They both suffer fatal flaws, ie, severe cruelty. It's an interesting thing to ponder, or, I think it is at least.

I need to seek out that "come to my burrow" fic...

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Dandelion
  • Aya ~The Bunny Cat ~
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 02:06:07 PM »
*whispers @Hammy * ...in case you're still looking... or here
...I apologize in advance... just in case... :vervain2
~ Join the WSD Community Read! ~
The more, the merrier^^

Online Hammy

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 02:16:51 PM »
Hahaha, funny thing, I searched up Watership Down on AO3 the other day and was wondering if that was the one. You absolute madman/woman, you, I love you.