Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Help Watership the 90’s series get more love!  (Read 947 times)

Online Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Magic-Rabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
Help Watership the 90’s series get more love!
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 05:43:32 PM »
Quote from: Quote:on 
It would be nice if the 1999 series made it back on TV, but the main obstacle would be finding a channel interested in airing it

Good luck in trying to find another network to buy the tapes, they are probably archived in a place that is locked down.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."- Lord Frith

Offline Hickory

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Hickory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 10:36:07 PM »
Quote from: Magic-Rabbit on Apr 10 2018, 01:43:32 PM
Quote from: Quote:on 
It would be nice if the 1999 series made it back on TV, but the main obstacle would be finding a channel interested in airing it

Good luck in trying to find another network to buy the tapes, they are probably archived in a place that is locked down.
Networks use video tapes to broadcast shows usually? :blackberry2

Guess we could try our best for the series to get bigger recognition. Such a shame that they got all that star power including the composer who wrote the original Bright Eyes to work on the project and yet the series only managed to get a small following in the years that past after episode 39 broadcast on air. :flax

One thing that puzzles me is why the series had a harder time connecting to audiences in comparison to say another popular British property like Thomas the tank engine & Friends. Both of them had high praise for their books, a beloved animated adaption and a good amount of star power (WSD the film had John Hurt and Richard Briers and Thomas had Ringo Starr as the 1st narrator on the show adaption) yet only one of those animated series adaptions became well known. Was it maybe the inconsistency in the tone of the cartoon especially with the more slice of life Direction in many of the Season 2 filler plots? :hawkbit

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 11:36:44 PM »
Quote from: Hickory on Apr 17 2018, 06:36:07 PM
It's probably all digital now; I don't know if any digital copies of WD are available, though, considering how long ago it was made...

It seems to me that there are many people who reject the series without giving it a fair chance.  The fact that Blackberry was turned into a doe and the series being less violent than the 1978 film are popular complaints.  The series isn't perfect, the season 2 fillers and the magic plotline were bad ideas, I think, but I still liked the series overall.  People should at least give it a chance before rejecting it; some of them might be positively surprised.

Also, it seems that unlike Thomas, the WD TV series didn't get that much airtime.  As far as I know, it has not aired in the UK since the end of season 2.  And according to Wikipedia, it never aired in the US...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:24:26 PM by Chipster-roo »
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Hickory

• Hlessi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 02:33:45 AM »
Quote from: Chipster-roo on Apr 17 2018, 07:36:44 PM
Quote from: Hickory on Apr 17 2018, 06:36:07 PM
It's probably all digital now; I don't know if any digital copies of WD are available, though, considering how long ago it was made...

It seems to me that there are many people who reject the series without giving it a fair chance.  The fact that Blackberry was turned into a doe and the series being less violent than the 1978 film are popular complaints.  The series isn't perfect, the season 2 fillers and the magic plotline were bad ideas, I think, but I still liked the series overall.  People should at least give it a chance before rejecting it; some of them might be positively surprised.

Also, it seems that unlike Thomas, the WD TV series didn't get that much airtime.  As far as I know, it has not aired in the UK since the end of season 2.  And according to Wikipedia, it never aired in the US...
Hopefully someone or some company kept them safe. I don’t think it’s productive of any company to destroy their broadcast copies of any show whether it’s liveaction or animated because it hasn’t gotten new airtime for years.  :blackavar

I actually discussed the BlackBerry doe idea to another member of the Fivers Honeycomb group on twitter on how it worked. He seemed to enjoy hearing how interesting it was when I brought up how it works in the series Favorite because Bigwig seems to dislike really being fast at adapting to new ideas like being forced into having to dig like does with the other males. It ties well into his stubborn nature at not getting things to go his way which especially comes back to bite him in the bunny butt after nearly strangling himself to death at Cowslips Warren from a bush snare when refusing to listen to Fiver warning him of a danger that area. From that near death experience, he learned a lesson of the easy way isn’t always the right answer in life and became a bit more open to new ideas. :bigwig3

Being less violent than the 1978 film probably might be the number one factor to which most fans of the other Watership versions reject the show but I think they substituted some good alternatives such as character development and nice visuals. I mean can most people think Cowslip staring into your soul in The Easy Life from Fiver’s point of view not a nice visual moment that can work on a similar level of the film’s bloodshed? Ok sure, the Season 2 fillers can be hit or miss but they weren’t mind numbing to the point of stupid. Though if I had to pick one bad story despite having a great love for the cartoon, I’d have to say The Invasion. Mainly because it’s story didn’t seem that exciting with its moral Of not judging a book by its cover and just seemed to mostly consist of the rabbits trying to get the sheep off their Hill.

Does the UK have some inconsistent way of airing select series because I’ve heard from some comments on certain episode uploads that they never broadcast the third season in the ??
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:24:01 PM by Chipster-roo »

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please.
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 04:17:42 PM »
It isn't generally inconsistent, but it seems that if a show doesn't get a big enough audience then they can just pull it from being aired. Usually before the next series has been made, mind, yet obviously it didn't stop them with this series. Also wouldn't've thought a children's programme in a couple of hours of children's programming they'd really be that worried about audience amount. Apparently so in this case.

It is unfair not to give those who did like the show a chance to see the final series; especially when parts of it were even created in this country!

I do understand that it is really unlikely it would be shown on TV again, though. Older children's shows used to be repeated more through the '90s, but doesn't seem to be such a thing to do now.
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Hickory

• Hlessi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 03:08:32 AM »
Quote from: MeadowRabbit on Apr 18 2018, 12:17:42 PM
It isn't generally inconsistent, but it seems that if a show doesn't get a big enough audience then they can just pull it from being aired. Usually before the next series has been made, mind, yet obviously it didn't stop them with this series. Also wouldn't've thought a children's programme in a couple of hours of children's programming they'd really be that worried about audience amount. Apparently so in this case.

It is unfair not to give those who did like the show a chance to see the final series; especially when parts of it were even created in this country!

I do understand that it is really unlikely it would be shown on TV again, though. Older children's shows used to be repeated more through the '90s, but doesn't seem to be such a thing to do now.
They were able to air the 1st 26 episodes and we have to remember that season 1 tried to follow the book with its own twists which came before Season 2 which to me felt like a bit like they wanted to cool down after 13 episodes of finding a new home, rescues from Woundwort and dodging weasels. Any network that had a good line up could just be thankful that the viewers tune in for a whole bunch of programming.

What’s even worse about the 3rd season not getting aired is back then, The Homecoming which finished off Season 2 was considered the “last” episode of the show to the British even though that’s not true. Kind of feels in the same way ReBoot back in the day was let go by ABC after Season 2 ended despite a 3rd season airing on YTV in a few years. Was that a thing in the 90’s for cartoons that crossed borders where they dont air a final season for strange reasons in a certain country even if it aired already there previously?

Gravity Falls gets some repeats for example. Despite some decreases, repeating older shows isn’t a dead tradition.

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 10:30:37 PM »
The only explanation I can think of is that CITV and ABC weren't satisfied with the ratings for the first two seasons of WD/Reboot, and therefore didn't acquire the rights to the third seasons.

It's true that ancient shows don't really air very often these days :( In most situations, a reboot is made instead of re-airing the original series.  That's what's happening with WD, ReBoot and Animaniacs, among others shows.  It's not necessarily a good thing...
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Offline Hickory

• Hlessi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 05:30:23 AM »
Quote from: Chipster-roo on Apr 26 2018, 06:30:37 PM
The only explanation I can think of is that CITV and ABC weren't satisfied with the ratings for the first two seasons of WD/Reboot, and therefore didn't acquire the rights to the third seasons.

It's true that ancient shows don't really air very often these days :( In most situations, a reboot is made instead of re-airing the original series.  That's what's happening with WD, ReBoot and Animaniacs, among others shows.  It's not necessarily a good thing...
That would make sense but for Watership Down, why not just move the 3rd mature season to a different network? CITV could then air the 1st 2 Seasons without issue and while I’m one of those guys who thinks children deserve a bit of quality, if the network there chooses to focus on more family friendly programming, I’m not going to give them crap over that decision. The UK could then get the complete experience!

Same goes for ReBoot though I’d recommend watching the 2009 reboot panel to get an idea of what it was like making episodes that met the standards what was allowed to show.

I don’t understand why older shows can’t like have a special block on networks for retro television. In 2 decades, advertising has come a long way and social media has become a great marketing place. It’s also a lot cheaper than spending thousands on a new version and having to hire new animators, a voice cast and composers for music

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 05:26:10 PM »
I'd love a channel, or at the very least an allocated few hours on some channel, for pre-2000(ish) children's programmes! That would be brill!

Online Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Magic-Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »
That would actually be kind of awesome.

For programs between 1990 and 2005.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."- Lord Frith

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 08:32:47 PM »
I'd like to see children's shows that are even older than that, as well! Don't make them like they used to... :D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:34:44 PM by MeadowRabbit »

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
Quote from: Hickory on Apr 27 2018, 01:30:23 AM
That would make sense but for Watership Down, why not just move the 3rd mature season to a different network?
I don't know why that didn't happen.  It would have been nice if it had...

I like the idea of a channel that would show older TV series :)

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »

I think that a channel with old series is not profitable, for that reason there are no channels like that. Since the series of today are made exclusively to sell products and merchandise, for that reason the old series do not take them out ... It's unfortunate. I wish that Watership Down would pass it on Netflix in the Latin Spanish language. So I could record it, it would be great.
Right now I found a jolla from the 90s, which has me completely crazy and its protagonist, an adorable mouse named Max. A series that is strong for the standards of today, but I love it.   :buttercup       :blackberry3  :aspen

I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Hickory

• Hlessi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »
Quote from: Acacia Heartstrings, May 6 2018, 09:24:53 AM
I think that a channel with old series is not profitable, for that reason there are no channels like that. Since the series of today are made exclusively to sell products and merchandise, for that reason the old series do not take them out ... It's unfortunate. I wish that Watership Down would pass it on Netflix in the Latin Spanish language. So I could record it, it would be great.
Right now I found a jolla from the 90s, which has me completely crazy and its protagonist, an adorable mouse named Max. A series that is strong for the standards of today, but I love it.   :buttercup       :blackberry3  :aspen

That picture looks a lot like something I’d find on deviantart, that’s a real show :bigwig2

Even though time has kind of pushed this adaption to the side, could a 4th Season be made to include more characters from the book like Buckthorn, Violet, Speedwell, Silver And Bluebell if they could find a good way to explain why they haven’t been mentioned or seen since the entire run of the 39 episodes already made?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:42:41 PM by Chipster-roo »

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
Quote from: Hickory on May 15 2018, 11:05:53 AM
Even though time has kind of pushed this adaption to the side, could a 4th Season be made to include more characters from the book like Buckthorn, Violet, Speedwell, Silver And Bluebell if they could find a good way to explain why they haven’t been mentioned or seen since the entire run of the 39 episodes already made?
It would be great to see these characters show up, especially Bluebell. (Violet didn't appear in the book, only in the film) As for where they were during the 39 other episodes, I suppose maybe they also survived Sandleford's destruction, but didn't manage to catch up with Hazel and the others until after the war with Darkhaven.

It would also be nice to have some more Efrafan characters like Thethuthinnang and Vilthuril (and Hyzenthlay).  A fourth season would be a nice way to have all these characters :)