Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Help Watership the 90’s series get more love!  (Read 951 times)

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Dandelion
  • Aya ~The Bunny Cat ~
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: Help Watership the 90’s series get more love!
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 08:17:20 AM »
Part of me is hoping that with the new miniseries, not only will the book garner more attention, but the 90's series as well. Maybe people go looking online for WSD and find out the 90's series exist and they get interested in seeing it.
(It would be ironic if people who ONLY see the miniseries suddenly complain about Strawberry being male in the book and 90's series)

In this day and age of streaming services, perhaps the best way to give the series more love is if it were streamable on one such service. A service dedicated to older series and show would be amazing too, as I often find that Netflix (when I browse through it using my parents account) doesn't contain much that interests me.
I would definitely get a subscription to a service nme to watch WSD, AOFW, Noah's Island, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, etc. Even better if it also included country-specific classics (like, for me that would be Samson & Gert, but I imagine other countries have their own homemade classic series that you enjoyed as a kid).
~ Join the WSD Community Read! ~
The more, the merrier^^

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2018, 12:14:13 AM »
It's rather disappointing how many networks and streaming services ignore older series.  People are more interested in making new series than making old ones available, no matter how good the old ones may be :(

at least there's BitTorrent

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if a Netflix rival like Hulu or Amazon Prime Video were to put up the 1999 WD series after the miniseries' release, to compete with Netflix :)
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Hickory

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Hickory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 04:42:33 AM »
Part of me is hoping that with the new miniseries, not only will the book garner more attention, but the 90's series as well. Maybe people go looking online for WSD and find out the 90's series exist and they get interested in seeing it.
(It would be ironic if people who ONLY see the miniseries suddenly complain about Strawberry being male in the book and 90's series)

In this day and age of streaming services, perhaps the best way to give the series more love is if it were streamable on one such service. A service dedicated to older series and show would be amazing too, as I often find that Netflix (when I browse through it using my parents account) doesn't contain much that interests me.
I would definitely get a subscription to a service nme to watch WSD, AOFW, Noah's Island, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, etc. Even better if it also included country-specific classics (like, for me that would be Samson & Gert, but I imagine other countries have their own homemade classic series that you enjoyed as a kid).

Well YouTube is kind of an unofficial type of pre Netflix and shows like Watership Down can only thrive there for now because they’re sadly not mainstream popular enough. Granted, a few reviews exist on YouTube for the series and it’s been mentioned in some of the film adaption reviews but it sadly doesn’t have the same popularity as Thomas And Friends.

Although would you possibly be able to participate in a project that utilized all 39 existing episodes of the cartoon? Here’s a link: http://fhc.soopergrape.com/index.php?topic=1856.0
I’m really hoping to get enough to join in

Offline CockatielPony

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2018, 04:50:31 PM »
The Watership down miniseries is the only thing on Netflix that I am excited for.  Chibi is right, Netflix would be way more worth it if they contained old cartoons. I wish Netflix could have had Nick and CN shows back on.
I assume those who are new to the Watership down fandom will stumble apon the old series since it's easy to find on YouTube.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2018, 08:48:37 PM »
"Giving it some love" totally depends on who owns the rights, and I'd assume that is Martin Rosen.  I don't even see Watership Down on Netflix at all so my guess is that no digital rights for the film or series have been worked out.  The mini-series that will be on Netflix is probably a whole set of different digital rights; its partially the only reason I'm keeping my Netflix account active.

Offline Hickory

• Hlessi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 11:49:44 PM »
"Giving it some love" totally depends on who owns the rights, and I'd assume that is Martin Rosen.  I don't even see Watership Down on Netflix at all so my guess is that no digital rights for the film or series have been worked out.  The mini-series that will be on Netflix is probably a whole set of different digital rights; its partially the only reason I'm keeping my Netflix account active.

I’m still sad that with the cult following it has, no attempt at getting the 2 adaptions Of Watership Down on Netflix has happened.

Nice to see you Hawkbit again! Any chance you could contribute to some fan projects for assisting the 90’s Cartoon Watership series to a higher status? :pipkin

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2018, 11:48:41 AM »
Sorry no, I'm "retired" for a reason. ;)  Full-time teacher, part-time tutor, part-time coach....just too much on the plate.  If I do any projects of my own (art or otherwise) it'll probably be something special or something I created.  I don't usually do things of commercial creations.  Sorry.

Offline Gothicmonocle

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Gothicmonocle
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
  • Favorite WD media: The series
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2018, 01:09:30 PM »
If you find this interesting, I am working on a 2D RPG game that serves as a sequel to the Watership Down series. It's mostly a redemption arc for a certain Villain that has survived (*cough cough* this guy -> :vervain *cough*) And starts off with Pipkin as the playable character.

I will be posting 

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2018, 05:39:58 PM »
Oooh, that sounds very exciting :D I'm looking forward to playing it :)
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline CockatielPony

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2018, 10:41:11 PM »
Oh that sounds so much fun to play. Please do send more info about the game soon!

It's nice that all the episodes are still on YouTube. Another way to get it more viewers if people see a few amvs of the series. I remember sometimes i would see an animash using an interesting cartoon I've never heard of and love ok more into it.

My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Hickory

• Hlessi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2018, 09:19:11 PM »
Oh that sounds so much fun to play. Please do send more info about the game soon!

It's nice that all the episodes are still on YouTube. Another way to get it more viewers if people see a few amvs of the series. I remember sometimes i would see an animash using an interesting cartoon I've never heard of and love ok more into it.

It’s quite nice to have a bunch of underrated cartoons and you could look at YouTube almost like an unofficial Netflix with the selection to choose from.

The game sounds nice. I do hope I can still help with my idea to get the 90’s series some much needed love which it doesn’t get enough of. Using another famous show with storylines created by fans and bringing attention to an underrated show hopefully can be good too.

Offline Hammy

• Silver
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 04:23:03 AM »
If you find this interesting, I am working on a 2D RPG game that serves as a sequel to the Watership Down series. It's mostly a redemption arc for a certain Villain that has survived (*cough cough* this guy -> :vervain *cough*) And starts off with Pipkin as the playable character.

I will be posting
Seeing as Vervain is best rabbit, I highly approve of this. Very interested to see what you come up with.