Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Possibilities  (Read 992 times)

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Re: Possibilities
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2018, 04:04:28 PM »
WOW ... After reading chapter 6, I did not expect such a good background of the varvein. His past is not bad, because it is never explored in the book. You can tell that you admire Hipster-Roo a lot.
His life, his friend, past and present future ... The poor rabbit must have lost his reason with so much suffering.
I thought I would read more chapters, but right now I feel bad. I'll leave it for later ...  :blackberry4
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2018, 06:21:18 PM »
Thanks for the review Acacia.
I'm sorry this chapter made you feel bad...
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2018, 08:37:28 PM »
I did not mean that, remember that my English is very clumsy hehe ... My English stinks.
I'm just saying that Varveiin's past is very sad, and he chose to be evil, just to ensure his safety and position in Efrafa. Even so, he left his beloved behind ...

It is a pleasure friend.   :hawkbit3
I love Watership Down!

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2018, 05:28:21 PM »
Chapters 7 and 8
Now we have a Blackberry that feels useless, even though she always brings the best ideas, for the Watership Down burrow. I really liked the philosophy they gave him, that he needs to do more for his friends in this war against Efrafa. She has a lot of heart and inner strength. HAHAHAHAHAHA And again Dandelion and Hawackbit doing funny things. Now they have the job of babysitters. It kills your interactions XD     :hawkbit    :dandelion     :pipkin
As for chapter 8, I did not expect it to be so dark. With the profound reflections of Captain Campion on the death of his general, he really appreciated it. For something he has so much loyalty. Seeing the black rabbit with its imposing presence, with the voice it has in the series, I find it fascinating to interpret. Campion managed to return from the land of the dead, to fulfill his mission. Your time has not yet arrived ...    :inle-series2      :campion2
Excellent chapters hipster-Roo!     :snowdrop2
I love Watership Down!

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2018, 07:59:39 PM »
Thanks for the review Acacia :fiver

I had a lot of fun writing the scenes with Hawkbit and Dandelion :hawkbit3
There will be more Blackberry, as well as Campion and Inlé, in future chapters :inle-series
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2018, 05:47:22 PM »
I'm back.  I'm resuming this story, with at least one chapter every Sunday.

Chapter 13: Strangers at Redstone!!: ShowHide

“The boldness of asking deep questions may require unforeseen flexibility if we are to accept the answers.”
--Brian Greene, The Elegant Universe

Hazel peaked out of the warren's main entrance.  It had been raining all night, but it was now early morning and the sky had cleared.

Further away, he could see Clover and Cornflower sitting in the grass together.  Cornflower was smelling various plants, and occasionally nibbling some of them.  Hazel approached them.
-”So, how are you liking it here, Cornflower?” he asked.
-”I must say it's really different from the hutch,” Cornflower replied.  “I never felt the wind in my fur before, and it's an amazing feeling.  And this grass, it's very wet.  I've never tasted such wet food in my life.  Not that I mind it, I was often thirsty back at the farm.  The only thing that worries me is the elil.  You saw what happened to Blackavar yesterday, and I'm afraid something like this might happen to me.”
-”Your concern is understandable,” Hazel said.  “Luckily, we can see any elil coming from a long way off, but nevertheless, if I were you I wouldn't stray too far from the warren.”
-”I'll keep an eye out for you,” Clover said.  “Nothing bad will happen to you.  If anything tries to attack you, I'll fight it.”
-”I don't want you to sacrifice yourself for me...”
-”Who said anything about a sacrifice?  I know I don't have any experience in fighting, but I'll still give it my best shot and I'll probably survive.”

Hazel hopped away and looked at the sky.  Blackberry and Primrose were not back yet.  He was not really surprised: the journey to Redstone was a long one, and they would probably stay there a short while.  What he could not understand was why they had decided to undertake such a journey in the first place, especially without telling anyone except Pipkin.  He heard another rabbit behind him; it was Fiver.
-”You're feeling worried, aren't you?” he asked.
-”It's just Primrose and Blackberry.”
-”You don't give them enough credit.  They probably made it to the warren safely.”
-”But what if they didn't?  If they encountered trouble along the way, there is nothing we can do to help them.”
-”Calm down, Hazel.  Worrying won't help anyone.”
-”I know, Fiver.  But sitting here and doing nothing is really depressing.”
Hazel fell silent.  Fiver remained close to him, trying to think of a way to cheer his brother up, until suddenly an idea came into his mind.  Without any warning, he pounced on Hazel, knocking him on his side, and started moving his paws through his brother's fur.  Hazel struggled, but was unable to escape.
-”Fiver, stop!” he said desperately, when it became obvious there was no other way out of Fiver's tickle attack.

Fiver obeyed, and Hazel got up to catch his breath.
-”Thanks Fiver.  I needed that.”
The two rabbits started to walk towards the warren.  As they were nearing the main entrance, Fiver said:
-”Bigwig, you don't have to hide from us.”
At this, Bigwig peaked out from behind the tree.  He looked at the two brothers, visibly embarrassed at having been caught spying on them.  He attempted to distract them:
-”Uh, Hazel, I've been thinking...now that the war's over maybe we should try to form an alliance with Efrafa.”
-”Always looking for adventure, aren't you Bigwig?” Hazel said.  “But with the way Campion reacted, don't you think we should wait a while longer?”
-”It's already been two days, Hazel.  I'm sure he must have recovered by now.  After all, he didn't send out the whole owsla into the caverns to attack us.  A good thing he didn't, because we couldn't have won such a battle.”
-”But Bigwig, as you say it's only been two days.  After we've been at war for almost a year, it can't end in just two days.”
-”I don't think it would cause any problems if we were to go to Efrafa now.” Fiver stepped into the argument.  “But I don't think we would be able to form an alliance either.”
-”Then what would happen?” Hazel asked.
-”Nothing.  It might make you feel better, Hazel, as it would keep you occupied, but the situation between the two warrens won't change today.”
-”In that case, we're going,” Bigwig decided.  “I don't see the need to bring many rabbits, so let's go just the three of us.  Let's start after silflay?”
-”Sounds good,” Hazel said.
-”YAAAAAAAAAARK!!”
The three rabbits turned at the direction of the noise, to see a large white bird, with a mouse on its back, flaying straight towards them.  They ducked just in time, as the bird crashed into the grass further away, and fell off onto the ground.
-”Oof!” she said, removing the dirt from her fur.  “Ye could at least tray to work on improvin those landins, Kehaar.”
-”Sorry, Hanniah,” Kehaar said, as he got back up and started to clean his feathers.
-”What's going on?” Hawkbit asked, having arrived at the scene following the noise.  “Oh, it's you again.”
-”We're glad to have you two back,” Hazel said.  “How was your trip to the...Big City?”
-”Oof, twas bad,” Hannah said.  “Full o noise and hrududil and humans and de air stink so bad.”
-”Ya.” Kehaar agreed.  “Kehaar not going back there soon.  Hey vat did I miss?”
-”Many things,” Hawkbit said.  “Many things...”

==========

It took a while for Primrose and Blackberry to reach Redstone.  By the time they had arrived, their fur was soaking wet.  There were no other rabbits outside, and the two does simply wandered into the first empty burrow they could find, where they fell asleep.

Blackberry awoke a while later, her fur mostly dry.  Primrose was still asleep in the far corner of the burrow; Blackberry debated whether she should wake her friend up, eventually deciding against it: Primrose couldn't really enjoy her stay at Redstone if she was exhausted.

Blackberry got out of the burrow and started to wander throughout the warren.  She had never been to another warren since she had left Sandleford the previous year with Hazel and the others; visiting Redstone was a fascinating experience.

Redstone was a very different warren from Watership Down: it contained many more runs and burrows, but they were smaller on average, and there was no large central chamber like the Honeycomb.  The number of rabbits was similar, with bucks and does in seemingly equal numbers.

But what struck Blackberry the most was how everyone seemed worried, to varying degrees.  She couldn't understand why: unlike Cowslip's warren, there were no snares there, or any other major dangers.  While in their previous warren they had every reason to worry, here they had none.  They had been living there since early the previous fall, so they should have gotten used to this new life by now.  Was there an unseen danger that she ignored?

After a while, Blackberry went above ground.  When she had first arrived in the middle of the night, it was too dark and she was too tired to take a look at the warren, and now that she did, she was concerned by what she saw.  The Watership Down warren was well hidden, but Redstone was plainly visible.  The rocks (which, despite the warren's name, were grey) stood out against the grass, and the holes were extremely easy to see.  Blackberry remembered how a few weeks before, several rabbits had visited the warren after the birth of Marigold's litter, and upon his return Bigwig spent a while complaining about how lax their security was.  She had initially dismissed this as him overreacting like he often does, but now she saw that he had a point.  This was made even worse by the fact that Redstone, unlike Watership Down, was on even ground, making it nearly impossible to see approaching elil before they had reached the warren.

This, however, was not the most shocking thing about the area: the grass seemed to be scarce.  There were several patches of ground without vegetation, and where the grass was growing, it seemed thinner than at the Down.  There were a few rabbits at silflay, but some of them had to go far from the warren to find decent food.  One of them, a yellow-orange doe, was looking carefully around her.  Blackberry approached her; the other doe sniffed her carefully before starting to talk:
-”You're not from here, are you?”
-”No, I come from...”
-”Welcome to Redstone warren.  You're free to live here if you want.  There isn't as much food as we would like, but we manage to make the best of what we have.”
-”I'm not coming to live here, I'm...”
-”That's all right.  You're free to leave any time you want, but you will always be welcome...”
-”No, I'm a visitor from Watership Down.”
-”Oh...I'm sorry, I thought you were a hlessi, I wasn't thinking.  It's always nice to have someone visit us from Watership Down.  I don't think I've met you before...”
-”I'm Blackberry.”
-”I'm Marigold.  It's nice to meet you, Blackberry.  How are things at your warren?  Did you come alone, or did...”
-”One question at a time.  I didn't come alone, I brought Primrose, I'm sure you remember her.”
-”Yes, I remember her.  Where is she now?”
-”The last time I saw her, she was still in the empty burrow where she fell asleep when we arrived in the middle of the night.  Anyway, I have great news: the war with Efrafa is over.”
-”Really?  That's amazing!  How did it happen?”
-”It was really unexpected to all of us.  A few days ago...”
While Blackberry was telling Marigold all about the end of the war, Primrose was slowly waking up.  Her first feeling was one of confusion: why was she in this cramped, damp burrow, and why was she alone?  It took her a few moments to clear her mind and remember that she was at Redstone, and that Blackberry had come with her.

She remained motionless for a while, thinking about her problems.  She tried to push them out of her mind, but they kept forcing their way back in.  There did not appear to be any obvious solution; she would have to ask someone else for advice, but she didn't know anyone who would be able to provide an unbiased opinion.

She slowly walked out of the burrow, up the run and outside.  Judging by Frith's position in the sky, it was already late in the morning.  She walked further away and started to nibble a small patch of grass.  She had not eaten anything in over a day; she had no idea how to resolve her problems, but until then, there was no point in starving.

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 03:38:36 PM »
WOW Chapter 9 and 10 was great with three different stories!
I did not expect Hazel to be trapped by the farmer's daughter with such a hidden trap and now she is locked in with the same rabbits, with whom Clover lived. It's very funny to see how Hazel deals with them while they smell it hahaha. While the loyal Bigwig does his best to rescue him.      :bigwig  :hazel     

It still takes me by surprise that Blackberry wants to learn to fight to join the Owsla, it was wise to ask Captain Broom. Even so, she is still the most intelligent of all Watership down and the most useful, I still do not understand why she wants to demonstrate her value, she is an invaluable element for everyone in the hutch. WD is what it is for her. Even so, it's great to see where this issue is going with Primrose who is sad and needs a break to be encouraged.     :blackberry      :primrose

And as for the story of dandelion HAHAHAHAH He has surpassed himself, step of telling stories has a theater play. And poor Hawkbit is still the victim of all XD jokes. I agree 100% with Clover, it is the cutest and lovable bunny of Watership Down, only after Silverweed x3     :dandelion
I think pipkim has a lot of fun with all this hehehehe      :irony       :pipkin
I love Watership Down!

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 07:45:07 PM »
Thanks for the review Acacia :) I'm glad you liked these two chapters :buttercup

It is true that Blackberry is one of the most useful rabbits in the warren :blackberry2 Hopefully she and Primrose will feel better when they return from Redstone... :primrose

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2018, 03:10:46 PM »
Those girls will have an interesting adventure x3

But there is something very important that caught my attention ... It is just the rabbit hutch where Hazel is caught. It makes me very sad that their masters do not take better care of them and have more love for them. Having food with mold and contaminated water.

- It's the only thing we have.

That dialogue broke my heart, poor beautiful bunnies = (Their lives are boring in cages, they were born there.) At least they could have better care and food from the daughter of the farmers.      :vilthuril :violet :snowdrop :pipkin2 :snowdrop2 :strawberry2

I have 3 rabbits at home: Every day I give them fresh food and water, I talk to them, I play with them, I pet them, I kiss them. I show you all my love and I give you the maximum happiness that is possible for me.
It makes me sad to see that many masters are careless with their pets.
That part in specimen is sad, poor bunnies. I wish you the best.
 :hazel   Hazel, be more understanding they have lived their whole lives locked up x3
I love Watership Down!

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2018, 06:37:53 PM »
You really take great care of your rabbits Acacia :clover

Unfortunately, not everyone is like this, and rabbits like those in the hutch with Hazel suffer because of it :(

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2018, 05:23:56 PM »
Chapter 14: How Not to Train an Owsla.: ShowHide

““He can occasionally see to an enemy," she conceded. "If he manages to get his sword pointed in the right direction and the enemy does him the favor of falling upon it in precisely the right way.””
--Lynn Kurland, Star of the Morning

-”WAKE UP!”
Woundwort walked a little further down the run, before putting his head inside the next burrow and repeating what he had previously said.
-”What's all the racket?” Cowslip said, having arrived from another run, alerted by the shouting.
-”I'm trying to get them to wake up,” Woundwort explained.  “An owsla must have discipline.”
-”Ah, yes.  The owsla.  Do you really intend to carry out this project?”
-”Absolutely.  You didn't seriously think I was joking, did you?”
-”No, but I think you should learn how to relax.  Ever since you have arrived, you have seemed tense and angry, at everything and nothing.  Why don't you learn to appreciate the simple things in life?  Fresh flayrah every day...”
-”I've never seen such a sloppy lot.” Woundwort was profoundly annoyed at how Cowslip kept repeating the same things, always very slowly, and cut him off.  “Seriously, have they absolutely no discipline?”
-”They wake up and go to sleep whenever they please.  We have no need for a precise sleeping schedule.”
As the two leaders spoke, a few groans came from a nearby burrow.  A rabbit poked his head into the run and briefly looked around, before returning to his burrow and going back to sleep.
-”If any of them want to be part of the owsla, everything will have to be stricly monitored: sleeping, eating, training, everything,” Woundwort explained.  “Now, go and find everyone who is already up, and bring them all outside.  I'll wake up a few others.”
Cowslip hesitated, briefly questioning General Woundwort's sanity.  He quickly came to the conclusion that any rabbit who doesn't experience the benefit of daily flayrah and poetry is crazy, but hopefully Woundwort would mellow down after a while.  Still, now was not the time to anger him, so he might as well follow the instructions.

As Cowslip walked away, Woundwort looked into the next burrow.
-”WAKE UP!” he shouted yet again.
The only rabbit inside, an undersized silver white buck, did not stir.  Woundwort briefly wondered whether he was dead, but there was no smell of disease.  He approached him and cuffed him in the ears.
-”WAKE UP!”
The small rabbit stretched out his hind legs, and moved one of his front paws through his whiskers.  He slowly got up and opened his eyes, before staring intensely at Woundwort, who found this rather unsettling.
-”Good day, General Woundwort,” he said suddenly.  “What's on your mind?”
-”How do you know my name?”
The young rabbit was about to answer, but Woundwort cut him off:
-”Never mind.  What's YOUR name?”
-”Silverweed.”
-”All right Silverweed.  You are to follow me at once.”
-”Where are we going?”
-”Outside.  You're in the owsla now, and you must train.”
Silverweed was confused by this, but nevertheless followed Woundwort outside.  Cowslip had already gathered a small group of rabbits, and was waiting with them.  A squirrel was sitting on a branch near the top of a nearby tree, watching the scene unfold.
-”Is that all you got?” Woundwort asked.
-”Not many rabbits are up at this time of day, General Woundwort.”
-”Well, this will do, for now anyway.  All right everyone!  You're in the owsla now!”
-”What's an...owsla?” asked one of the rabbits.
Woundwort stared at the crowd in shock, appalled by this random rabbit's ignorance.
-”An owsla is a group of rabbits who fight to protect their warren and maintain the glory of their Chief.”
-”That sounds nasty,” another rabbit said.  “I don't like fighting.”
Woundwort sighed loudly.  These rabbits were clearly not interested in being part of an owsla, and unmotivated rabbits are perhaps the hardest to train.
-”Everyone, arrange yourselves in pairs.”
The rabbits stared at him, before carrying out the order.  However, it took a long time for everyone to get organized.  A rabbit would come across one potential partner, only to decide do resume searching for another one.  This went on for quite a while.
-”Fools,” Woundwort mumbled, before turning to Cowslip.  “Now, show me the location of the shining wires.”
Cowslip stared at Woundwort awkwardly for a few moments.
-”We have fresh flayrah every day, and...”
Suddenly, he found himself grabbed by the neck.  Woundwort's front paws held him tightly, not enough to choke him, but tightly enough for him to be unable to get away.
-”Where.  Are.  The.  WIRES!”
-”If...you'll let me go...I'll show you...General...”
Woundwort let go; Cowslip rubbed his neck before going into the undergrowth, with Woundwort following him.  Near the roots of the bush was a single shining wire.  Woundwort struck it with his paw; the peg was ripped out of the ground.
-”This is all a lie!” Cowslip said.  “There can be no escape from the shining wire!  This is the truth, the answer, the solution, fo...”
-”Perhaps,” Woundwort replied, before Cowslip could finish his sentence, “but I don't want to waste any time training other rabbits only for them to get snared.  Lead me to the other wires.”
Cowslip and Woundwort spent a long time wandering around the warren, with the General destroying every snare Cowslip showed him.  After hrair snares had been removed, they went back to the warren, and saw that the rabbits had finally manged to assemble in pairs as they had been ordered.
-”All right, everyone.  Now your first task for today: fighting.  Each one of you is to try to fight the rabbit you are paired with.  Your goal is to put them in a situation they can't escape: keep them pinned to the ground with your claws at their throat.  When that happens, don't finish them off just yet, call out to me.  Any questions?”
All the rabbits stared at Woundwort.  One of them started to talk, but decided it would be better to remain silent.
-”ATTAAACK!!!” Woundwort ordered.
The rabbits attacked.  In the first pair, both collided painfully with each other and collapsed.  In the second pair, one rabbit succeeded in pinning his opponent easily, but sneezed, allowing her to get away.  One of the rabbits in the third pair had run away, and the other one had no idea where he had gone or what to do.  In the fourth pair, one rabbit tried to pounce over the other, but ended up jumping over him and crashing in the grass behind him.  Silverweed stared intensely at his opponent, who was unable to escape his gaze.  She ceased to move and eventually lied down, before Silverweed approached her and closed her eyes, allowing her to fall asleep.

Woundwort was horrified by what he saw.  How was he to turn this sloppy lot into a decent owsla that could defeat the outsiders?

Meanwhile, the squirrel was still looking at the rabbits.  At first, she had been horrified at how the one Cowslip called “General Woundwort” wanted everyone to fight, but after she saw them try, she sighed in relief: they clearly had no idea what they were doing, so there was no way anyone would get hurt.

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2018, 04:39:23 PM »
It seems that the fatal fate has marked Blackavar, in the movie as in this fan fic. Now Pipkim's theatrical work and what he learned from Dandelion's story have much more meaning. "Collecting souls is a sad task, but it is more sad not to enjoy life" or something like that. One can regret not doing worthwhile things.
And with this pain in her heart Hazel regrets not being cautious.
And poor bunnies that stayed in the cage, that's the life they know ...
Good chapter 11   
R.I.P. Blackavar. 
I love Watership Down!

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2018, 02:58:02 PM »
Thanks for the review Acacia :)

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2018, 04:03:06 PM »
Woundwort was able to return to his burrow in Efrafa to be in command ... I guess for now he fears for his life or an immediate betrayal by his companions, so he had the difficult decision to return with the infamous Cowslip and his damn burrow . I'm glad to see my favorite rabbit Silverweed x3    :silverweed3
Blackberry and Primrose have their little adventure as friends and Efrafa has worse and worse problems, with only Moss to fix things and make important decisions. Where is this campion?      :campion     :moss
Good chapter 12 hipster roo x3

And once again ... Rest in peace Blackavaer. A brave and excellent rabbit. 
I love Watership Down!

Online Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2018, 02:13:28 AM »
Thanks for the review Acacia :) I'm glad you liked this chapter :)

Silverweed will play an important role in the next chapters at Cowslip's warren :glowingsw

As for Campion, I'm afraid he won't show up for several more chapters :campion2