Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Writing event #3: Valentine's Day  (Read 225 times)

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Writing event #3: Valentine's Day
« on: February 07, 2019, 01:06:47 AM »
Last year, we held two writing events on the forum.  After the success of these two events, we are organizing a third one!

This month's event is about Valentine's Day.  Here are some keywords that you can incorporate in your entries: flowers, sunshine, giving flayrah, pet names.

All types of fiction are allowed.  You can write a story with your own characters, a Watership Down fanfiction, or a fanfic for another fandom.  Poetry is also allowed.

Some more details:
  • The deadline is 28 February 2018.
  • This is not a contest; no prizes will be given out.
  • You may submit more than one entry.
  • There is no word count limit; entries may be as long or as short as you wish.
  • Stories in languages other than English are allowed; the staff will post a translation afterwards.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions, and have fun :fiver
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Hawkbit
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: Writing event #3: Valentine's Day
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 05:46:36 PM »
Aha! I've been waiting for this! Looking forward to see the entries :)
~ Join the WSD Community Read! ~
The more, the merrier^^

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 10:13:20 PM »
I should have more time to take part in this one! I'll try and make it not WD-themed to add some variety, too. :)
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 08:18:14 PM »
I don't know what to say about this entry
Spoiler: ShowHide
a lie; there is a lot of headcanon infused in this that I could talk about
it is sort of weird, I know, and will feel like two things mixed together. Because it is. There will be a second act (hopefully before the deadline) taking place later which focuses on Rain. I actually had a multitude of possible things to write about and I chose this because reasons.

Oh yes! Important! This is a Miniseries fic though it takes place before the miniseries in Efrafa.
FEAT.  absentKing! :woundwort3 / deFactoQueen! :vervain | excitedKitten! :orchis and totallyNotARabbitVersionOfMyWarriorsOC!Rain
..and some others but those are the main players.

FROM EFRAFA WITH LOVE {ACT I}: ShowHide
The snow had melted around Efrafa and though Frith was still winter-bleak, his rays had grown noticeably warmer the past hrair days. It was ni-Frith. The Neck Mark was outside to silflay and among them hopped a blue tan kitten with bright blue eyes. She hopped around and skidded between the adult rabbits, as she ran as fast as she could. Her mother had told her not to wander too far to silflay but silflay was not on Rain's mind for the moment. She was escaping!

"Halt! Stop right there!"

Rain glanced behind her, calling back, "Not if you were El-ahrairah himself!"

"Escapee! Escapee!" The young buck called out dramatically, followed by a loud, "look out!"

Rain ran on but not for long as she ran straight into something solid and furry. A something that let out a grouchy 'oof'. A bit dazed she looked up and saw Thistle -one of the Mark's sentries- glaring down at her. Putting on as innocent a face as she could, she said,"Hel- oof!" but her greeting got cut off as a weight landed on top of her with a triumphant, "Caught you!"

"Orchis, what do you think you're doing?" Thistle grumbled. "This isn't a game."

"It actually is." Rain replied from underneath Orchis.

"And I won it!" Orchis added proudly.

Thistle nudged Orchis off of Rain. "What would your brother say if he knew, hmm?" Rain wondered how that was any of Thistle's business; he was just a sentry in the Neck Mark with no relation to Orchis or her at all.

"Well done?" Orchis replied sheepishly. Rain snickered; even more so at Thistle's face of disbelief. Then said, "What would Captain Black say if he knew you were arguing with kittens instead of guarding the perimary?"

"The perimeter." Thistle corrected, then looked alarmed as her words sunk in. He cleared his throat and waved them away with a paw, "Well, off you go. I have sentry duty to fulfil."

The two kittens hopped off, snickering to themselves. When they had found a spot to silflay far from Thistle, Orchis asked, "Are you really going to tell your father?"

"Are you going to tell your brother?"

They thought for a moment then shook their heads in unison. "Thistle's not important enough." Rain stated and Orchis nodded, then prompted, "Another game of Owlsafa & Escapees?"

"Can I be Owslafa this time?"

"What? No! I'm Owslafa obviously."

"But you're always Owslafa!"

"Well of course. I'm going to be Owslafa when I grow up so it's only natural. My brother said so."

Rain frowned at that, "So, I'm going to be an escapee some day then?"

Orchis looked appalled at the suggestion. "No! You can't!"

"Afraid I might succeed?"

Orchis grumbled, "You just can't. You need to stay here with me!"

Rain pretended she was thinking about it, enjoying the distress on Orchis' muzzle at the thought of her leaving. "Well, all right then, I'll stay." Orchis looked relieved until Rain added,"if you let me be Owslafa next time."

Orchis glared at her then consented, "Fine. Soon I'll be training for Owlsa for real anyway."

"You don't know that." Rain said. Part of her was afraid that if Orchis became Owsla he wouldn't have any time left to play with her. She'd rather be escapee every time than that!

"I do!" Yet he looked uncertain then. "I mean, I have to start soon right? We're a fly's life short of being adults."

The thought made Rain sad but she also knew how much it meant for Orchis to join the Owsla and make his brother proud. So she shook her own worries away and decided to propose a plan to help her friend instead. "Well, of course, but if you really want to impress your brother then you need to do something impressive!"

"Like what?"

"Like... uhm..." Rain realized she had no clue as to what. He couldn't very well go out on Wide Patrol or stop a real escapee or fight elil; that was all too dangerous and she didn't want him to get hurt. Suddenly Orchis' ears perked up; his eyes brightened, "I know!" he exclaimed excited, "I'll sneak into the Council Chamber!"

Rain wasn't convinced that was such a good idea. "And what will that prove?"

"That I'm sneaky, of course."

"What if you get caught?"

"I won't." Orchis answered, "That's the whole idea, Rain."

Rain didn't like Orchis' tone - like she was some stupid kitten who failed to comprehend basic concepts- and replied, a tad annoyed, "Well just because that's the idea doesn't mean it'll go that way."

"It will. You'll see. I'll follow the Captains so quietly that they'll never know I'm there. Then I'll hop into the Council Chamber and announce my presence and my brother will be impressed that I managed to sneak in and all the Captains will be too and the General will be impressed and then they'll decide I can start my training right then and there!" Orchis moved his paws widely as he explained his plan in one breath.

"Even the General?" Rain echoed in complete disbelief.

"Sure. Not that it matters much."

Rain knew Orchis valued his brother more than any other rabbit but she hadn't expected him to be this neglectful of their Chief. Not that Rain had any higher of an opinion of him; she didn't even know what he looked like. It was rather hard for her to respect or fear a rabbit that didn't even seem to bother coming above ground all that much. Though, judging from the other Mark rabbits' response to the mere mention of his name, she was pretty alone in this thought and so she at least knew she was supposed to fear him. Maybe she'd learn the reason for this once she was an adult? She shuddered; not something to look forward to.

Captain Vervain on the other paw was often among the Marks and if he weren't Orchis' brother, Rain would very much fear him. He had a loud, deep, booming voice and no tolerance for disrespect or slacking off. Rain had witnessed this first-paw. Yet when Orchis talked about him, it was as if he was describing a completely different rabbit. Rain figured not even a rabbit like Vervain was immune to affection for his family. As hard as that was to imagine.

"If you say so." She still had her doubts but she knew better than anyone that there was no changing Orchis' mind now. And when she thought about it, it was at least not really dangerous. If Orchis got caught, Rain was pretty sure his brother would make sure he didn't get punished. So instead of protesting further, she hopped over to a nice patch of grass and began to silflay. Orchis joined her and they silflayed in companionable silence until Black called for the Mark to return to their burrows.

~ :woundwort3 ~

Another day, another Council meeting. General Woundwort had grown tired of them hrair moons ago and thus no longer attended every single one of them. Only on the rare occasion that he himself had called the meeting or he had heard an interesting topic pop up, did he bother to show his muzzle to his captains. Yet he still remained close-by to listen. In the tunnel above the chamber which let to his own burrow, Woundwort now lay as he did almost every meeting, and listened to his captains discussing whatever mundane issue had their attention at the moment. Woundwort didn't really pay much attention to what was being said nor did he bother to listen to any rabbit except one in particular.

"...that means I need an additional patrol to head to the area. We won't tolerate any elil on Efrafan grounds. They need to learn their place." Vervain's voice resounded louder than any of the others. It was deep, commanding, and so nostalgic for Woundwort. When he closed his eyes and listened to it, he could remember a time when he had been younger and sleeping on a soft Man thing near a warm fire. Woundwort had marvelled at the Man's ability to control the flames and bend them to his will, completely overturning the natural instincts of all creatures to avoid fire. The Man would talk to him, slowly, deeply, a bit hoarse- Woundwort had no idea what he said but the sound of his voice had been comforting.

But the man had been old and one day he did not wake again and Woundwort had to leave that home and live in the natural world again. Yet he had refused to give in to the natural order ever again. Like the man controlled fire, he would control the elil, and nothing would he ever fear ever again.

"That concludes that. Now-"

"Brother!"

A small high-pitched voice cut through Vervain's deep one, startling Woundwort from his reverie. Snickers filled the Council Chamber; something obviously amused the Council and Woundwort angled his ears to listen more carefully.

"Is your little brother the next point on the agenda, Vervain?"

Ah. The little brother Vervain so doted on. What was he doing here? Woundwort waited, deciding not to intervene and see how Vervain would react to the interruption. He always acted as if Orchis was just another Efrafan around every other rabbit but Woundwort had heard the pride and affection in Vervain's voice when he spoke of his little brother. Not to mention he spend almost every free moment visiting the kitten, much to Woundwort's annoyance. And yet- on some level Woundwort understood -he had had brothers once- and so he let it slide.

There was a pause, short but noticeable, before Vervain spoke again. "Orchis." His voice was calm, neutral, yet his gaze must tell his fellow captains more than words for they became quiet again. "How did you get here?"

"I knew there was a meeting when Captain Black was called away and followed him here." Pride laced the kitten's words and Woundwort knew he was expecting his brother to praise him for his actions. The other captains however would be expecting the complete opposite: this insolent kitten needed to be disciplined. The General waited to see what Vervain's judgement would be but all that followed was silence. Heavy, uncomfortable silence. Woundwort was tempted to go look but he wanted to stay out of this. If he showed up he'd have to send the kitten away harshly and he knew Vervain would get him back for that somehow.

Orchis broke the silence with a quivering, "B-brother?" and that was Vervain's queue to speak as well.

"Return to your Mark with Captain Black, Orchis." There was shuffling as the two made to leave. "Oh and Black? We will have a word later."

"Yes sir." Black responded dutifully before leaving with Orchis. When the sound of their paw-steps had faded, Vervain addressed the rest, "As for everyone else, make sure such an interruption can never happen again. These meetings are not for every rabbit to join as they please." And with that he ended the meeting and dismissed every other member before they could protest. Woundwort waited until he was sure every captain had left before entering the Council Chamber. As expected, Vervain had remained behind, seated atop his high rock from which he could overlook the entire Council. He stared into the distance, a small smile on his muzzle.

"Careful now Captain. One might start to suspect you've grown soft." Woundwort commented as he hopped over to the rock Vervain sat on.

Vervain's smile fell. "I have not." He replied, "I am simply glad to see such great potential in an Efrafan kitten."

"You're proud of your little brother, you mean."

"I am merely stating it is impressive for one so young to sneak past Efrafan captains unmarked."

"Vervain, if it had been any other rabbit- kitten or not- that had stumbled in here you would have berated the intruder instead of praising him."

Vervain didn't reply. Woundwort moved even closer and put a paw on Vervain's, bringing his muzzle close. "Did I hit a sour spot? Or a soft spot rather?"

Vervain briefly closed his eyes, lifting his paw away from Woundwort's touch. "Yes, I care for him and I plan on personally training him so he can become the greatest officer Efrafa has ever seen." He opened his eyes again and looked straight at Woundwort. "You've known this. Why protest now?"

Woundwort was taken aback by Vervain's straightforward reply. Moments of candid honesty were rare between them; Woundwort recalled a cold, snowy evening in his burrow when Vervain had told him more than he had ever before, or long trips in the woods in summer before Efrafa was founded when Woundwort had found in Vervain a kindred spirit and told him of his plans and ideas. Those were the moments this happened in; not simple everyday conversation.

"You have gone soft." Woundwort replied. Vervain snorted, clearly annoyed, not hiding his emotions as well as he usually did.

"If I had, Efrafa would have fallen into disarray." Woundwort didn't reply; they both knew he was right, that without Vervain Efrafa would be an organizational mess since Woundwort had little interest in dealing with everyday business.

"Or do you have reason to complain?" Vervain asked and Woundwort knew the same old Vervain was back. And that he was not expecting an actual answer. So Woundwort answered. "I fear I have noticed a certain neglect in your other ... duties..." Woundwort moved closer until their fur brushed together. "Not very acceptable for my Head of the Owslafa."

"Is that so?" Vervain chuckled; the sound sent a shiver down Woundwort's spine. So lovely. "We all have our soft spots, don't we, Woundwort?" Vervain moved closer, reaching out with one paw to put it over Woundwort's just as he had done earlier. "But I suppose I must redouble my efforts in giving my attention where it is most desired." He brushed his muzzle against the slightly larger rabbit's. A deep rumbling purr resonated through the Council Chamber. Vervain was all too familiar with that sound. Woundwort made to move closer; his voice thick as he mumbled Vervain's name.

"And so-" Briskly, before Woundwort had a chance to react, Vervain pulled back; his paw leaving the General's, the distance between them more than a yona's length once more. "- I shall now go make an extra round around the Marks to see if everything is in order." He jumped down a few rocks, ignoring Woundwort's frustrated growling. At the entrance, he stopped to look at him again, "As the Head of the Owslafa should, right, General?" - before hopping off.

"VERVAIN!" Woundwort shouted. "That Inlé-cursed-"

"Sir?" Campion had hopped to the Council Chamber as soon as he'd heard the General shout. "Is something the matter?"

Woundwort ignored the question, "Tell Captain Vervain I expect a full report on his patrol as soon as possible."

"Understood Sir." Campion replied. "Should we call a meeting to-"

"No." Woundwort interrupted him. As much as he enjoyed listening to him talk, another dull Council meeting was the last thing he wanted Vervain to spend his time on. "Now leave me be."

~ :orchis ~

"Rain! Rain!" Orchis ran across the grass towards his friend who was siflaying with her brother Reed. When Reed saw Orchis approach, he turned to his sister and whispered, "Remember what father said."

Rain nodded sadly and Reed sighed, "Go on. I won't tell." He hopped off and Rain mentally thanked him.

"Rain!" Orchis said again as he skidded to a halt in front of her.

"Rain? Nonsense! Nothing but sunshine all day!" Rain answered. Orchis ignored her pun as he excitedly hopped round her. "Guess what?"

Rain didn't answer; she already knew Orchis had successfully sneaked into the Council Chamber. Her father had told her when he'd returned Orchis to his mother. Orchis seemed completely unaware of the trouble he'd gotten her father in. She refused to believe he didn't care- as her father and mother had implied.

Orchis stopped, a bit disappointed at her lack of reaction, so she said, "They were so in awe of your stealth skills they made you a Captain on the spot?"

"Almost." He paused dramatically, "My brother was so impressed that he said I could start my training tomorrow! And he's going to train me!"

"I'm happy for you." She answered and she genuinely was but then Orchis spoke again and his next words hit her hard.

"And he said Captain Mallow will take me in as an aspiring sergeant!"

"You- you're changing Marks?" Then how can I stay with you?

"We'll still see each other." Orchis tried to assuage her worries but Rain knew better. Marks didn't mingle with other Marks and changing Mark was only done at the order of the Owslafa. It just wasn't that simple, not even for rabbits in such privileged positions as they were. She looked down sadly; her chest hollow at the thought of losing her best friend. Well at least my parents will be pleased, she thought bitterly. Orchis hopped closer and nuzzled her. "Don't worry, Loseer. I'll come visit and when I'm Owslafa I'll get you into my Mark."

Rain looked up uncertainly, "You won't forget me?"

"I promise, vahra voith varu ma."
~~~~

Apologies once more for the roughness. I'm beginning to think I don't like beta-reading and editing my own writing much  :pipkin2
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:58:25 AM by Chibiscuit »
The more, the merrier^^

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 09:43:26 AM »
That's fun story. I like it. Who knew that Vervain would be the one to govern Council when it comes to every-day routine business, not to mention that he could be such a tease? :D

I'm curious though what that sentence in Lapine translates to? I think there is a word for friend in there, but other than that I'm not sure what it means.
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Carnation264

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Carnation264
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 11:54:32 PM »
So I finally had enough motivation and whatnot to make something for this event. It's short, and the idea's probably stupid for this series but I thought it'd be pretty cute pff- And it's been awhile since I've written something, so I'm probably a bit rusty here with that and it might not be as good as my writing usually would be. Hope y'all enjoy this Fiverweed drabble thing regardless-

Spoiler: ShowHide
They took their time going back to the warren, keeping their eyes and ears open for any possible elil.

Nearly all of them kept the carrots in their mouths, making sure not to drop even one. All they could hear were birds chirping around them as their paws went on and off the grass. The chilly wind hit up against each of the rabbits' fur, going in the direction that they were walking.

Looking to the side, Fiver saw some flowers near a few trees. More specifically, he saw pink and red anemone flowers next to them. All danced within the wind that brushed up against them as it did with the rabbits.

The seer then remembered back where they got the carrots where man were giving one another flowers and a strange heart shaped object. He figured it was a sort of special human thing for the day, as they said something along the lines of 'happy Valentines day' when they did so if he was correct.

While he, nor any of the other rabbits, would participate in days man celebrated in for whatever reason, the idea of giving someone a flower or more seemed sweet. He was slightly hesitant at first, being unsure on whether or not to grab one, but he decided to go grab an anemone. Fiver didn't wish to grab too many, but he wanted to at least get something for Silverweed.

He then speed walked back to the other rabbits, who didn't realized he stepped away for a second, staying right behind them. Soon afterwards, they got back to the warren without any trouble whatsoever.

Fiver looked around for Silverweed, but he was nowhere to be seen from the front. He left Hazel, Hawkbit, and everyone else to find him. After walking around for a bit, he saw Silverweed lying down on the ground. There was a yellow and orange butterfly on his nose, resting like how he was. Its wings went up and down only slightly.

The silver buck was smiling, causing Fiver himself to smile and blush. He walked on over to him with the flower in his mouth.

"Hey Silverweed." Fiver said.

Silverweed looked away from the butterfly and onto Fiver. He then moved to get up, making the butterfly fly off of his nose.

"Hello, Fi- ...Why do you have a flower in your mouth?" He raised his eyebrow.

Fiver put his forehead up against Silverweed's. "I thought maybe you'd like it?"

Silverweed tried his hardest not to, but he started laughing, causing the orange buck's ears to go back. His laughter died down some so he could speak.

"I apologize, but Fiver, you didn't have to do that." He rested his head on Fiver's, "it was a sweet of you though."

Fiver quietly sighed through his nose with relief and smiled. He put the flower down onto the vibrant green grass.

Afterwards, he cuddled up with him.

Also I didn't know how to end it so uhh yeah um XD Whoops-
Too much art in paws

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 03:34:07 AM »
You both made great entries :)

@Chibiscuit I like how you explore three relationships in this story: Orchis and Rain, Orchis and Vervain, and Woundwort and Vervain.  Orchis and Rain is pretty cute, and I like this portrayal of Vervain :vervain2 Campion's scene was also nice.  Near the end, Orchis cals Rain "Loseer" because that's her Lapiné name, but for a moment I thought Orchis was calling her a loser :pipkin-oh
I'll be looking forward to the next chapters.
@Myrkin I think the Lapiné sentence would be "my best friend" or something like that.

@Carnation264 this was really cute and well-written :glowingfiver :glowingsw I like how Fiver seems to be borrowing a human tradition.  I don't mind the ending, the thought of these two cuddling is really cute :fiver

Here is my entry.  It's a sequel of sorts to my entry for December's writing event, about Hyzenthlay and Thethuthinnang.  This one takes place the spring after the events of the miniseries.  It's really not my best (I rushed it in three days) but hopefully you will all like it :)

The Prison in Spring: ShowHide
The rays of sunshine had melted all the snow, and the flowers had started to grow again.

Hyzenthlay was lying near the edge of Watership Down, nibbling an early primrose.  During the previous winter, she had very rarely left the warren, but now that it was spring, this was about to change.  She wanted to explore the area around the warren, a privilege she never had in Efrafa.

Efrafa.  She thought back about how she almost never experienced freedom from that horrible warren.  Her group of friends had been infiltrated by a spy, Nettle, who, through her leaks of information, nearly sabotaged all the plans.

However, just before Hyzenthlay left, Nettle spoke with her one last time.  She seemed to be expressing remorse for what she had done.  But Hyzenthlay did not reply, and left her there in the rain.

Hyzenthlay had never thought about this afterwards, until very recently.  The war, the reconstruction and Holly's death had kept her mind occupied.  But now that life had returned to normal and she had found another mate, she had more time to think.

Her thoughts were interrupted as she was playfully tackled by another rabbit.
-”Good morning,” she said, nuzzling her attacker.
-”You look especially beautiful this morning, Hyz,” Thethuthinnang replied.
-”So do you.”
Thethuthinnang hopped off, allowing Hyzenthlay to get back up.  She returned to the primroses, and her girlfriend joined her.
-”You know,” Hyzenthlay said, “I've been thinking recently.”
-”What about?”
-”Nettle.”
-”Oh...”
Thethuthinnang looked down; this clearly wasn't an easy subject to discuss.
-”I'm sorry...” Hyzenthlay started to say.
-”No no no, don't apologize, you didn't do anything wrong.  What about Nettle?”
-”I was just wondering what happened to her.  None of the Efrafan officers mentioned her during the battle.  From what Kehaar says, Campion is the new leader of Efrafa, but who knows what happened to her?”

Thethuthinnang remained silent for a few moments, reflecting on the situation.
-”What should we do?” she eventually asked.
-”I think the only way to know what happened for sure would be to go to Efrafa and see for ourselves.”
-”Are you sure that's a good idea?”
-”It may be the only way to get an answer.”
-”I suppose you're right.”

With that, the two does continued their silflay.  Nobody brought up the subject of Nettle again until the next morning.  They both woke up at around the same time, but they didn't get up, preferring to remain tightly pressed against each other.  They exchanged a kiss.
-”We're leaving today after silflay,” Thethuthinnang suddenly said.

==========

After silflay, the two does left the warren as planned.  They did not tell anyone about their secret plan, as they knew that some rabbits would not approve.  As they reached the bottom of the Down, however, they were ambushed.
-”Where are you two going?” Hawkbit asked.
Hyzenthlay and Thethuthinnang looked at each other, debating whether they should tell the truth or not.  They whispered intensely, before Hyzenthlay spoke:
-”We're going to Efrafa to see...”
-”I want to go with you,” Hawkbit replied.
-”Why?”
-”I need to prove to Bigwig that I'm brave.  And, uh...yeah, to prove that I'm brave.”

It was plain to Hyzenthlay and Thethuthinnang that there was more to Hawkbit’s story than he said.  For the past few months, several bucks had tried flirting with them (especially Hyzenthlay), hoping they would mate with them.  After Hyzenthlay and Thethuthinnang settled together instead, the flirting largely stopped, but Hawkbit was one of the few bucks who kept trying.  Nevertheless, they had no reason to reject his offer to accompany them to Efrafa.
-”You can come.”

==========

The journey was slow, and it seemed as if the does were in no particular hurry.  They frequently stopped to frolic in the open fields, and at one point Thethuthinnang made a flower crown for Hyzenthlay.  Hawkbit was not given many opportunities to flirt, and spent most of the time on the lookout for elil; they met none.

They reached Efrafa around sunset, and the shadows of the ruins were disturbingly long.  There did not appear to be any other rabbits above ground.
-”Well...this is it,” Thethuthinnang said.  “We're here.”
-”Just know that, no matter what happens in there, I love you,” Hyzenthlay said with a kiss.
-”Are you sure you want to go ahead with this?” Hawkbit asked.  “It's not too late to turn back.”
-”I don't think Bigwig would be very impressed if we turned back now,” Hyzenthlay said.  This was exactly what Hawkbit needed to hear to agree to go underground.

The three rabbits went through the warren's largest entrance, which lead to the council chamber and Woundwort's former living quarters.  Hawkbit had never been there; Hyzenthlay and Thethuthinnang had only been there a few times, when they were in trouble.

They weren't sure what they expected, but the burrows had changed very little since their last visit, apart from weed growth along the walls.  In the old days, being forced to eat these weeds was a common punishment for outskirters; clearly no rabbits had been punished this way recently.  This was a good sign.

At the end of the tunnel, they reached the council chamber.  It was deserted at the moment, although judging by a few clusters of hraka, rabbits had been there recently.  However, there was a faint, worrying smell of blood.
-”If anyone tries to hurt you two,” Hawkbit shouted, raising his front paws, “I'll claw them to bits!”
-”Quiet,” Hyzenthlay whispered.  “I think I hear someone.”
Thethuthinnang and Hawkbit raised their ears, and soon noticed the faint moaning too.  They cautiously approached the source of the noise.

In a small burrow, they found two rabbits.  The first had a horribly deformed face and was bleeding from one of his front paws.  In the old days, he was tasked with marking the outskirters using one of his claws, which was much longer than any claw ever should be.  Clearly, this claw had recently broken off, injuring him.  The second rabbit was in better physical shape, and was trying to lick the blood off; it was Campion, and he looked up at the three strangers.  It was plain that he recognized them.
-”What are you doing here?” he asked them.  “I assume you decided to come back home?”
-”Never,” Thethuthinnang said sternly, moving in front of Hyzenthlay to shield her should Campion attack.  “Our home is at Watership Down.”
-”Then why are you here?”
-”We're here to see Nettle.”
-”Who?” Hawkbit said, plainly confused.  “You didn't say anything about anyone called Nettle before.”
-”Oh, the former spy?” Campion said.  “What do you want with her?”
-”Just talk,” Hyzenthlay said.
-”She may be a prisoner and all, but how do I know you wouldn't try to kill her?  That doesn't sound too unlikely, considering your past history together.  I can't let you see her unless I'm with you.  But, as you can see, I'm rather busy now.”
-”Campion, you fool!” Thethuthinnang was clearly furious.  “Hyzenthlay is not the type of rabbit who would murder anyone in cold blood.”
-”Relax, darling,” Hyzenthlay said, nuzzling her friend, before turning back to Campion.  “You can come with us, Hawkbit here will take care of him in your absence.”
-”Who, me?” Hawkbit asked in disbelief.
-”Yes, you.”
Hawkbit grumbled, and as soon as Campion had left the burrow, he took the captain's place.
-”She's in the prison pit,” Campion said.  “I'll lead you to her.”
-”How long has she been there?”
-”Since her arrest soon after the war.”

Hyzenthlay and Thethuthinnang looked at each other sadly.  The prison pit was perhaps the worst punishment in Efrafa.  There was no way out, no food, no roof.  Rabbits there frequently passed out from the heat in the summer.  In the winter, it was even worse.

==========

Eventually, the three rabbits came across a pile of bricks; two other rabbits, clearly owsla officers, were standing in front of it.
-”Here we are,” Campion said.  “She's under there.”
-”This isn't the prison pit,” Hyzenthlay said.
-”The structure collapsed soon after your escape.  This is all that's left of it.  But, if anything, it's even harder to escape from there now than before.”
Campion pushed a few bricks away; despite his strength, it was clearly difficult.  Beneath the bricks was a small hole, a burrow entrance.

One at a time, Hyzenthlay, Campion and Thethuthinnang entered the burrow.  It was very rough, and there was barely enough room for everyone.  Nettle was lying in a corner, visibly underweight, her eyes closed.
-”Nettle,” Hyzenthlay said.
The small doe slowly opened her eyes, and look at the strangers.
-”Oh no, they caught you?  After so long?”
-”No, we came voluntarily.  We're here to visit you.”
-”Visit me?  But why?  I betrayed you.”
-”We're willing to forgive you.”

==========

The conversation between the three does went on until the middle of the night.  Campion remained in a far corner, struggling to stay awake.  At one point there was a change of guards.  Eventually, however, Hyzenthlay and Thethuthinnang went back above ground, and so did Campion.
-”Would you want to take her to your warren with you?” he asked.
-”I thought you were afraid we were going to kill her.” Thethuthinnang said.
-”After hearing you talk to her, I don't think you would.  In fact, you would be saving her life.  Taking care of her requires lots of owsla time, but nobody is willing to let her become a regular outskirter.  A frustrated officer might kill her.”
-”We're taking her,” Hyzenthlay said.
-”What about the Marker?” Thethuthinnang asked.  “What's going to happen to him?”
-”He'll probably be back to normal in a few days.  But he won't be marking anyone in the future, that's for sure.”

==========

The trip back to Watership Down took even longer than the trip to Efrafa: Nettle got tired very easily and frequently had to take breaks.  During these breaks, Hyzenthlay and Thethuthinnang went on small escapades of their own, leaving Nettle alone with Hawkbit.  Despite leaving Efrafa the morning after their arrival, they only reached the bottom of the Down in mid-afternoon the next day.  They were greeted by Strawberry.
-”I was wondering where you three had gone,” she said.  “You look pretty cute with that flower crown, Hyzenthlay.”
-”Thank you.” Hyzenthlay giggled.
-”Who's that with you?”
-”Strawberry, meet Nettle,” Thethuthinnang said.  “She's an old acquaintance from Efrafa.”
-”Hello,” Nettle said shyly.
-”Great to see a new rabbit joining us!” Strawberry said excitedly.  “By the way, do either of you have any idea what that pile of...”
-”Shh, it's supposed to be a surprise,” Hyzenthlay suddenly whispered.
-”A pile of what?” Thethuthinnang asked.
-”Come, I'll show you,” Hyzenthlay replied.

The two does reached the top of the Down.  In front of the warren's main entrance, there was a large pile of lettuce and carrots.
-”Wha...” Thethuthinnang started to say.
-”It's for you, my love.  I gathered it while you were asleep last night.”
-”Oh Hyz...”
Hyzenthlay found herself tackled once again, lying on her back with Thethuthinnang on top of her.  They exchanged a deep, passionate kiss.
-”I've been searching for a doe to mate with for months now,” came the voice of Hawkbit, “but all the does in the warren end up choosing someone else.”
-”Well,” Hyzenthlay glanced at Dandelion, who was at silflay further away, “who says that your mate can't be another buck?”

THE END
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Offline Carnation264

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Carnation264
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 04:09:14 AM »

@Carnation264 this was really cute and well-written :glowingfiver :glowingsw I like how Fiver seems to be borrowing a human tradition.  I don't mind the ending, the thought of these two cuddling is really cute :fiver

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it! I wasn't too sure how the ending was, but I couldn't think of anything else and I didn't want to stay on it too long so there's the ending pff- I really need to write more Fiverweed stuff sometime in the future.

Here is my entry.  It's a sequel of sorts to my entry for December's writing event, about Hyzenthlay and Thethuthinnang.  This one takes place the spring after the events of the miniseries.  It's really not my best (I rushed it in three days) but hopefully you will all like it :)

I haven't read the first one, which I gotta do that sometime, but this was pretty good for it being rushed! That ending tho, should we be expecting more on that sometime soon?
Too much art in paws

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 12:15:38 AM »
Looking forward to more Fiverweed! :fiver :silverweed3

Glad you liked my entry Carnation :) I'll probably write something about Dandelion and Hawkbit next time :dandelion

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 02:41:01 PM »
 :strawberry2 I thought I'd replied to this but apparently I have not.  :vervain-facepalm

@Myrkin Glad you liked it! :D I could not resist making Vervain a tease. Miniseries!Vervain is pretty much a blank slate so I can write whatever I want about him and the thought was just too much fun.^^ As for running Efrafa, I just got this impression of Miniseries!Woundwort that he wasn't really all that involved in his own warren. He also seemed rather unaware of what was going on. Just the impression I got and so I picture him like an absent king.

And like Chipster said, the Lapiné means "my best friend". Well, literally, according to that bit and bobstones website, it would mean "my most favourite friend" but you know that's basically the same.

@Chipster-roo  Glad you liked it too^^ The Vervain-Woundwort scene was originally a separate idea from the Rain story but I decided to combine them since I could pick what to write about.

Haha yeah honestly when I saw loseer in the dictionary I laughed because I thought it said loser too.  :hannah4

Let's hope those next chapters will get written at some point...  :fiver3
The more, the merrier^^

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 03:55:10 PM »
Apologies I have only got to this months later!

Chibiscuit - For some reason the first time I read a little extract from this story my mind read 'kitten' and imagined a feline kitten bounding around with the rabbits. I know rabbits are also baby bunnies, so I'm not sure why my brain did that. XD

Sweet story with Orchis and this Rain character as youngsters. It's a believable friendship; nicely written. I thought he called her a 'loser', too. Haha. It ties in nicely as a pre-story to the miniseries. :D

Carnation264 - Short and sweet!  :pipkin I'm glad that after laughing, Silverweed did really appreciate Fiver's gift, as random a gesture as it might have seemed to him! Nicely written. :)

Chipster - I do like the idea of exploring what did happen to Nettle? And it's a curious ending that must definitely be explored! :D For a moment I was thinking Hawkbit might try and get with Nettle. (Maybe he'll still try before he explores the buck alternative? :p) Well-written.  :strawberrydoe
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:56:42 PM by MeadowRabbit »
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 02:17:38 AM »
Thank you Meadow :) Glad you liked that story :)

I did explore that ending in the Easter writing event ;)

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 11:47:33 AM »
@MeadowRabbit Thank you!! :) Haha it seem most people read it as 'loser' at first glance xd

Aaand the rest of the chapters have still not been written... though I do have parts of them written scattered around.
The more, the merrier^^