Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Poll

What do you think about writing stories about un-canonical pairings?

If they will be written well, then I have nothing against them. ;)
0 (0%)
I'm not really interested in any romantic stories.
0 (0%)
Let's stay canon. Why write something that didn't happen?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Non-canonical couples  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Non-canonical couples
« on: November 19, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »
As you may know, many fan communities like to play matchmaker with fictional characters from their favourite books, movies, tv-series, etc. I was wondering, if that also applies to our community here? Are we willing to write or read about stories, where (for example) Campion and Primrose end up together? Rr where Dandelion and Fiver become more than friends? Or where fanfic author creates a new character, which falls in love with someone from original cast? Or where canonical couple will become a couple, but in a different way, that it was shown in original work?

What are your thought on this?

Quote from: ZB poll results
If they will be written well, then I have nothing against them: 23 (88.5%)   
I'm not really interested in any romantic stories: 2 (7.7%)   
Let's stay canon. Why write something that didn't happen?: 1 (3.8%)   
Total Votes: 26
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:43:35 PM by Chipster-roo »
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
Non-canonical couples
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 02:28:54 PM »
Quote from: Quote:on 
Rr where Dandelion and Fiver become more than friends?

:o :o :o :o

That's just........ :x

I don't care for fanmade relationships.

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Non-canonical couples
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 04:36:23 PM »
I wanted only to give an example of fanmade couples. I didn't want to upset you, Hawkbit. Sorry for that. :(
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
Non-canonical couples
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 02:01:36 AM »
You haven't upset me personally.

Offline Folgrimeo

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Folgrimeo
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
Non-canonical couples
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 04:05:59 AM »
If it's written well, then go for it. I'm thinking there's plenty of unexplored scenarios and alternate timelines that can be looked at, given how short the official stuff is. As for a pair being more than friends... well, one of my favorite films consisted of an unlikely pair who were willing to leave their homes and risk their own lives to be together. All the rabbits have a close bond to each other, a common goal to live long enough to see tomorrow, so a friendship or romance between any of them can definitely work. Personally I'd want Bigwig to be with someone, something to tame that tough exterior.

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Non-canonical couples
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 09:13:45 AM »
Well... He was with Spartina in tv-series and it didn't tame him much. :p

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
Non-canonical couples
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
Spartina was too much like him, that's why she couldn't bring him down. ;)  I don't think Bigwig would've been able to have  a relationship with a rabbit who was too soft, and clearly the opposite of himself.

Offline Embemxrabbit

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Embemxrabbit
    • View Profile
Non-canonical couples
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »
I'd like it depending who it is of course, I think making a new character and putting them together with another character is hard for the reader to accept. In my case I put Fiver with Ivy, because i thought it was time he had a mate and i had to create her since there were no other does suitable. As long as they don't change too much, I like it :)
'I'd go with the Black Rabbit if it meant freedom and peace for all of us,' - Blackberry
Warrens of Watership Down

Offline MightyFiver

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by MightyFiver
    • View Profile
Non-canonical couples
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 07:55:03 PM »
I'm SO glad to see that people are easy-going when it comes to "odd" Watership Down stories.  Who know, maybe Peter Rabbit and Hzenthlay...
Or...
Is that going a bit far?  :/
;)

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Non-canonical couples
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 09:38:05 PM »
That, I believe, would be a crossover. And it would be interesting to read about interaction between such different kinds of rabbits (one more anthropomorphic than the other). :)

Offline Speedwell

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Speedwell
    • View Profile
Non-canonical couples
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 12:17:58 AM »
Quote from: Myrkin on Nov 19 2011, 04:52:48 AM
Rr where Dandelion and Fiver become more than friends?
Nope, have to do it now.

Fiver looked at the soft, golden fur the crept up along side Dandelion's back, travelling in the illogical pattern of a sandstorm. His heart filled for a moment, his entire body in a quiver.
"Y'alright?" asked the slender golden buck, his eyes turning to his little friend with care.
After a moment, Fiver let loose his breath and whispered, "You've heard the story of Rabscuttle and the Prince of the Tundra, haven't you?"
Dandelion took a moment to recall it. Yes, he'd heard the story, but in secret whispers. The tale had been banned in a great amount of warrens in Watership Down's countryside by fussy does who refused to allow their kittens to be introduced to the prospect of two bucks finding love with one another.
"I know of it. Why, Fiver?"
Very gingerly, Fiver pressed his nose against that of the warren's storyteller, letting the emotion surge through him. "Because I think I love you, Dandelion."

... xD Hi there errybody.

In truth, I definitely dig some WD pairings, though most of the canon ones work for me. As for non-canonical I rather liked the idea of Hawkbit ending up with Nelthilta, but that was taken from Sharks Potter's fanfiction. :P I also wouldn't mind seeing a fling between our two favorite bucks, Hawkbit and Dandelion- not because they like it, but just because they need it.
Oh, Lord. I might just go write a fanfiction now... :|
;)

Offline MightyFiver

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by MightyFiver
    • View Profile
Non-canonical couples
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »
Hi Myrkin, ah, obviously I misunderstood the meaning of "non-canonical."  All right then, how about General Woundwort and Vervain?  I reckon they'd make a good pair.  ;)
Speedwell, LOVE IT!  I reckon you should get into Fanfiction now.  :D

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Non-canonical couples
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 03:33:35 PM »
Not bad, Speedwell. :)

I also wouldn't mind seeing a fling between our two favorite bucks, Hawkbit and Dandelion- not because they like it, but just because they need it.

I'm curious. Why do you think they need it?

---

Hi Myrkin, ah, obviously I misunderstood the meaning of "non-canonical."

I made that comment about crossover in matter-of-factly manner. I didn't want to suggest, that we shouldn't bring characters from other books/movies/etc. into this discussion. :)

Offline Speedwell

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Speedwell
    • View Profile
Non-canonical couples
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 01:59:27 AM »
Quote from: MightyFiver on Jun 18 2012, 10:52:14 AM
Speedwell, LOVE IT!  I reckon you should get into Fanfiction now.  :D
Lol, MightyFiver...

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1634785/Journalist793
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4749302/1/May_Belle_On_Watership_Down
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6142733/1/Down_the_Rabbit_Hole
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4919241/1/The_Dream_Lives_On_Our_Unanswered_Questions
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5346137/1/Hawkbit

I dominate WD fanfiction xD
Lol, and flattered by the appreciation. ^_^

I'm curious. Why do you think they need it?

Two teenage best friends who can't seem to score and end up falling for each other. I saw a play like that once. My mind es theatrical, so don't be minding me and my... ways.

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Non-canonical couples
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 10:58:33 AM »
I didn't know you have more than one account on fanfiction.net, Speedwell. :p

---

All right then, how about General Woundwort and Vervain? I reckon they'd make a good pair. ;)

I guess it would be a long road for them, from being "one charismatic brutal and a bit insane leader, and one cowardly servant, who is ordered around by the former" to becoming "a couple of very good friends with a chance for romantic love between them". A very long road.