Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: WSD side by side  (Read 136 times)

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
  • Love voice acting in cartoons
    • Show only replies by Magic-Rabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
WSD side by side
« on: December 28, 2018, 10:27:06 PM »
Hey all! I found a video with the 1978 movie,, 1999-2001 TV series and the 2018 miniseries all together comparing the same scenes.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."- Lord Frith

Offline Folgrimeo

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Folgrimeo
    • View Profile
Re: WSD side by side
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 10:00:10 AM »
That was pretty interesting, I think all three of them have merit. The movie has the most lively animation and the clearest movements and expressions, the TV show's more vibrant with more kid-friendly depictions and character designs, and the miniseries did a pretty good job looking realistic (there can be an appeal to that, it looks noticeably different from the movie's brand of realism). The character designs are sometimes wildly different, like Cowslip, and each version of the El-ahrairah tale is interesting since they use different art forms that feel like a dip into culture.

Granted a few liberties had to be taken when equivalent scenes didn't exist. The TV series didn't show what happened to Sandleford, so amusingly there was a clip from the "Lost" episode where Hawkbit sees the ground cracking open which was an entirely original episode. I think the only clear preference I have is with the raft scene, I prefer the movie there because Fiver immediately falls off into the water which felt believable.

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
  • Love voice acting in cartoons
    • Show only replies by Magic-Rabbit
    • View Profile
Re: WSD side by side
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 09:03:53 PM »
But some bits are better than others.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."- Lord Frith