Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Search for a cure  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Search for a cure
« on: October 06, 2012, 07:05:20 PM »
I declare this RP started. :)

---

„This doesn’t look good,” Midon said, looking at the mass of soil that was filling whole width of the Great Tunnel. In its heyday, this tunnel had gone on and on through entire Aceroston Warren and farther, ending finally somewhere in the woods. It had been built primarily as a way to lessen traffic in other passages and secondly as an escape route. Now, it barely served its main purpose.

“That’s an understatement,” Caledine, a brown-furred doe, responded with a snort. She was somewhat of a digging expert in Aceroston and she was the one who had informed Midon, that he should take a look at the Great Tunnel. “As you might have noticed,” she continued “We are not even close to the exit in the woods. This tunnel shouldn’t be buried at this point.”

“Is only this section filled or is entire tunnel buried from here to the exit?”

“Your guess is as good as mine,” Caledine said, turning around and hopping away. Midon followed. It took them a while to return to the main body of the warren and a few times they were forced to literally squeeze through narrower parts of the tunnel. Once upon the time two big rabbits could had hopped through this run side by side, but not anymore.

Eventually, Midon and Caledine got to more used part of the Great Tunnel, but even this section wasn’t in much better shape

“If we don’t do anything about it, then sooner or later the whole run will look like what we’ve seen back there,” Caledine said, cleaning her fur of dirt.

“Then I must inform Chief Rabbit, that we need to start some major repairs,” Midon sighed. In Aceroston you couldn’t do any digging without first getting permission. It was a security issue, or at least it was according to Chief Rabbit. Sometimes Midon thought, that Chief simply enjoyed having that much control over his subjects.

“Let’s hope he will agree, because this work needs to be done. Not just for our comfort, but for our safety. If it ever gets too dangerous to stay in the warren, then a functional escape tunnel might become very useful.”

“I’m not sure, if I will manage to convince him to allow any digging, Caledine, but I’ll try,” Midon said, thinking of arguments he could use at the meeting with his Chief. “In meantime, could you start assembling some rabbits to help you with the digging?”

“Help me?” Caledine asked, feigning surprise “I was going to sit down and watch others do all the work. Oh, and I would have shouted at them to hurry up from time to time.”

Midon chuckled, “I’m sure you’d have been great at that.” Then, after saying goodbye to the doe, he went along another run, which led him to Chief Rabbit’s burrow. Midon could only hope that Chief would be able to receive him. Lately, the leader of Aceroston hadn’t been feeling well and he had been spending less and less time outside of his lair…  

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 07:21:38 PM by Myrkin »
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline KiddCampion

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by KiddCampion
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/KodaikProductions
Search for a cure
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 09:45:44 PM »
Far above the ground level of the warren, Kladd sat soldier-like at the top of one of the large rocky uppercuts that towered over the Aceroston lands, as if he was etched of stone as well. It was his job to look as menacing as he possibly could, for his one purpose as the Captain Owsla was to keep the rest of the rabbits in line. This selfish and arrogant will is the only thing that's keeping Kladd from not obeying the Chief Rabbit, his mind setting itself on his single goal to cause pain and fear. After many months, the chains wrapping around his thoughts were finally beginning to break. Hurting and controlling other rabbits was never what he wanted, and the dull tan buck was finally starting to understand this.  

The Captain's eyes were hooked onto one thing in the whole warren, the creamy pelt of the beautiful doe Ravna. "What good am I to this warren..to you." Kladd whispered to himself, placing his paw over the red berry juice that stained his shoulder to create a symbol of authority. "If I can help you, then why do I sit here any watch you suffer.." He would do anything to Ravna, but the Chief Rabbit strictly forbids anyone to talk to his doe. Yes, this rule was cruel to her, but it was just another thing he did to keep his power strong.

Kladd scraped his small claws into the stone, green orbs flaring up with a toxic acid. "Enough of this. There's no need for me to sit here all day."

With that, the dull brown, tan and chocolate pelted buck skidded down the rock with perfect precision, bearing not a single scratch from the stone's sharp etches. He knew that the Chief was ill, and would have no knowing of Kladd talking to his doe. He bounded up to Ravna, his small tuft of hair between his ears blowing sideways due to the chilling yet peaceful winds that flowed through the spaces between the giant rock pillars. "Mis- uh, Ravna." Kladd spoke strongly, trying to keep his ears perked up straight and full of dignity. The creamy doe looked up at the Captain, her pale pink nose twitching in utter surprise that Kladd was finally talking to her. She too, had feeling his him, but it was forbidden for her to go around any other buck who wasn't the Chief.

"Hello, Kladd." Giving him a small nod, Ravna lowered his baby blue eyes to the ground to keep herself from blushing in his presence. "What urged you to talk to me, knowing it was against our rules?"

Kladd blinked his marshy green eyes, hesitating at her simple yet challenging question that needed a sound answer. "I..I was wondering if you knew anything about the Main Tunnel. It's been getting smaller and smaller, now hardly one rabbit can fit in it. Have the does not been doing their jobs?"

"Why, you should know I can't provide you with an answer, Captain Kladd. Being the doe of the Chief it is not my duty to dig in those wretched holes. You're asking the wrong doe." And with that, Ravna turned around and hopped off into the dense foggy grassland that made up most of the warren, her heart sagging with regret to why she stormed off on the one person she truly cared about.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 03:03:58 PM by KiddCampion »
Roleplaying Characters: Arrow ~ Kladd

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Search for a cure
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 06:25:13 PM »
Before the entrance to Chief’s burrow Midon was stopped by a guard. A creepy-looking guard. His both ears were torn to shreds, his right eye was blind and his black-furred body was marked with many scars. Nobody knew how he had gotten those terrible injuries or where he had lived before he had come to Aceroston. Even his real name was unknown to everybody in the warren, maybe with exception of Chief Rabbit. Because of his appearance, all rabbits called this guard Inle. He didn’t seem to mind it.

“Ah… Midon. Welcome. I’m afraid Chief is resting and can’t receive you at the moment,” Inle said. Those who had expected that his voice would be as creepy as his looks, had been usually surprised how warm and friendly it was. One only needed to talk with him once to see past his scars and realize Inle was just another rabbit and not incarnation of the spirit of death.

“I have to talk with him though. It’s important.”

“Unless we are being attacked by another warren or elil, I don’t think he is going to be happy to be woken up,” Inle said. “He told me to let nobody in, including myself, until he tells me otherwise.”  

Midon knew that Chief Rabbit wouldn’t be too pleased with being disturbed from his sleep for what he would consider a matter of lesser importance. Still, it had been very difficult lately to find a time when he hadn’t been resting.

“Could you at least ask him, if he would receive me, Inle?”

“I suppose so,” Inle said with a sigh and entered the Chief’s burrow. Midon stood by the entrance and waited…
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Embemxrabbit

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Embemxrabbit
    • View Profile
Search for a cure
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 06:48:03 PM »
Senna tugged the rare bunch of leaves from the sweet smelling tree. True, she had no idea what it was called, but her late mother had told her that this dark, round specimen was a very special medicine and she was not going to let the opportunity to obtain it pass.
She had been pulling so hard, she ended up on the ground. Pleased with herself, Senna picked the important leaves back up in her mouth and cast a frown at the now bare branches. These infection preventing greens were now extinct in this area and the Chief was not getting any better.

Deciding there was nothing that could be done at the moment, the doe returned the long distance home. The scent from the leaves was so delicious, it was an actual chore to prevent herself. Finally, Aceroston warren loomed in sight and she was greeted with a picture that made her feel guilty.

One of the captains was talking to the chief's doe! The chief's! The thing that surprised her was that it was Kladd. A hard and cold rabbit, one that had never shown her or any of her friends any kindess....ever, was talking to another rabbit.
"Huh," she muttered. It didn't cross her mind to tell on them to the chief, to whose burrow she was heading, because he was too ill and anyway she was not a tattle tail.

The warren, once so magnificent, was just satisfactory to say the least. A sigh raised in her as she realised she would be asked to dig sooner or later. It wasn't that she disliked it, just that she had more important things to be doing. Like keeping the chief alive.
"Here sir, I've brought you some more infection preventer." But she was stopped from entering for the meantime and got rather annoyed about it.  
Muttering dark profanities, she got a quick glimpse and knew time was running out. Fast.
He was getting worse.

Myrkin- while I was writing this, your most recent part had not yet appeared and after I posted mine, I realise some of mines contridicts yours, sorry :( such as no one else being allowed in, which is akward....do you think he could make an exception for a healer? :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:59:56 PM by Embemxrabbit »
'I'd go with the Black Rabbit if it meant freedom and peace for all of us,' - Blackberry
Warrens of Watership Down

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Search for a cure
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »
(Perhaps you could have the healer wait with Midon and let Dandelion decide what Chief is going to do? :) )

Offline Embemxrabbit

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
Search for a cure
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:57:07 PM »
Rito, I'll edit
'I'd go with the Black Rabbit if it meant freedom and peace for all of us,' - Blackberry

Offline Dandelion

• Storyteller
  • Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Dandelion
    • View Profile
Search for a cure
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:36:13 PM »
The chief rabbit was indeed getting worse, his body shook with chills, dried mucus was crusted around his nose, he was as weak as a newborn kitten. He crouched in his burrow, shivering and sniffing constantly. He heard shuffling and talking outside the burrow, but was too weak to respond, he only passed droppings and ate these days, almost anything else was too much effort.

Inlè had came in and reported the healer waiting to enter, The chief rabbit raised his head and spoke with great effort, "For Frith's...sake, let, her...in." and slumped down, to weak to go on. In his prime he would of snapped at the guard for not doing the obvious thing and send the healer in when he was sick, and, he hated to admit it, dying.
'If we ever meet again, Hazel-rah, we'll have the makings of the best story ever.' ~Dandelion

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Search for a cure
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 08:30:13 PM »
"Yes, Sir," Inle responded, leaving the burrow. Though he saw him every day, even Inle was shocked by how weak Chief had become. If he won’t get better, he will eventually meet the real Black Rabbit.

“You may enter, Senna,” guard said to doe, moving quickly to the side, so she could enter without delay. He glanced at Midon with a look that was saying: you’ll have to wait for your turn. The advisor nodded.

Do you have a name for Chief Rabbit, Dandelion? :)

Offline Dandelion

• Storyteller
  • Pipkin
    • View Profile
Search for a cure
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 03:29:10 AM »
Not yet, I'll think of one soon.
'If we ever meet again, Hazel-rah, we'll have the makings of the best story ever.' ~Dandelion

Offline Embemxrabbit

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
Search for a cure
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 08:03:14 AM »
Senna nodded politely at Inle and dropped her load at the entrance. Going in, she quietly and quickly checked his pulse and temperature and asked how he was feeling. Getting a bit of a crabby answer in return, she turned to the pile of herbs and took one off the top. "Sir, eat this."
In case he say that he didn't have time for flayrah she added rapidly, "I call it anti infection." After a moment of thinking, she gave him several more leaves. He would need them.
For the first time in her life she had to admit that her medicines were not doing as much good as she had hoped, and her ears flattened, depressed.
A herb from her kittenhood suddenly popped up in her mind. It was a very rare herb, and the only place she had seen it before had been the farmers greenhouse, until that farm was abandoned and all his greens died.  Her mother had called it the shooting star, as it had been rare and made wishes come true. It could cure almost anything. If there had been blood poisoning all one had to do was crush a little of this and put it on the wound, if a disease like arthritis, one just had to eat a couple of these and his bones would strengthen.
Senna shook her head. No use thinking of this anymore as it couldn't be obtained. The most the chief could hope for was to die peacefully and in as much comfort as possible.
She exited the burrow, shaking her head sadly.

Offline Dandelion

• Storyteller
  • Pipkin
    • View Profile
Search for a cure
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »
Nihral-rah slowly chewed the leaves, forcing his jaws to move, Huh! Senna was treating him like her kitten! His snort quickly turned into a racking cough. She had shook her head, in a slow and sad way. Had Nihral's brain not been preoccupied with the struggle to live, he would of almost immediately connected that shake of her head with his eventual death. But, as before mentioned, it was all he could do to lay and cough, "I heard...anoth-er. Send...him in."

Elay tore across the ground, feet whacking the earth, always with the same intervals between the thumps, like clockwork. As always, she had no idea where she would go, whether it would be to another warren, inland and fighting elil, or out to the sea. Elay was a learned rabbit, but her travels made her wary; she would always leave within the season. Her front right paw suddenly shot down a hidden hole in the ground, sending her head over heels, "Embleer elil!" She screeched. Even the ground was one of the thousand these days.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:45:13 PM by Dandelion »

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Search for a cure
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 06:44:53 PM »
Nidon observed Senna as she left the burrow. Judging by her expression, the Chief Rabbit wasn’t doing well. These days death seemed to be running closer and closer to Nihral-rah, who might not have much time left in this world. There will be some rabbits, who will secretly rejoice at his eventual demise and many who will simply not shed any tears at this event. As much as they or Nidon would like to think otherwise, he knew that their lives won’t get any better after Chief stops running. Not if Claw takes over anyway…

At the signal given by Inle, Nidon entered the Chief’s burrow. Seeing Nihral’s state of health, he almost decided to leave and not to bother Chief Rabbit with digging issue. However, without Chief’s permission they wouldn’t be able fix the Great Tunnel without being stopped by Owsla the moment they try to scratch the ground.

“Nihral-rah. It has just come to my attention that the Main Tunnel requires some major fixing,” he said “If you give us your permission, then we can start digging right away, Sir.”

(Sorry for not posting sooner, but I didn't notice that Nihral had said he could receive Nidon. Sorry for that.)

Offline Dandelion

• Storyteller
  • Pipkin
    • View Profile
Search for a cure
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 11:36:09 PM »
(Haha, no I edited that in, so don't blame yourself. I'll type up a reply when I have more time)

Nihral-rah curled his lip. Midon was faithful, but vain. Couldn't he see that his chief had no time for digging, or, indeed, no time for anything. However, on the other paw, if Nihral gave the permission for the tunnel to be worked on, he might let his tired, tired chief get some rest. Then, on yet another paw, or perhaps an ear, the Owsla would want to confirm it. It was really a catfight, all reasoning hitting blindly. Finally, after a long internal battle, Nihral wheezed what could be interperated as a sigh, "Get digging...Owsla shall, not bother, me. Go." He glared at Midon trying to make his point: 'Leave me to rest or I will kill you as soon as I can move.' He coughed several times, his chest heaving.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:24:59 AM by Dandelion »

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Search for a cure
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 10:38:50 PM »
“As you command, Nihral-rah,” Midon said, bowing lowly. Then he left the burrow without another word, as it was clear that Chief’s patience was almost drained.

As he was hopping through the tunnel leading to the surface, Midon thought of his talk with Nihral. It had been easier than he had expected. Evidently the sickness had taken its toll on Chief Rabbit, if he had been so quick to give his permission for digging. If Nihral was so ill, then it was the time to start thinking about the future of Aceroston Warren. Midon had to find Kladd and talk with him. The Captain of Owsla was probably on the feeding grounds or somewhere close to them, so Midon went in this direction.

Offline Embemxrabbit

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
Search for a cure
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 07:50:18 PM »
I haven't replied in a while, I've been waiting for KiddCampion to continue the story, does anyone know where he is?