Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Your first contact with Watership Down  (Read 4377 times)

Offline Hyzenthlay69

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Hyzenthlay69
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
Your first contact with Watership Down
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2015, 11:10:12 AM »
Oh, gosh. I've been  a fan since...forever. I was about ten years old when the movie came out, and I saw it with my parents in a theatre in San Fransisco, California. I think my parents, like so many others, thought  this movie was going to be more like a "Disney" movie, but in fact, they ended up liking it far more than any typical children's venue, and I did as well. Even at that young age I was fully aware this was a story that involved some political aspect, the totalitarian Efrafa versus a democratic free society led by Hazel and company. I enjoyed the great beauty of the animation and the scenery. Looking back on it now, it's amazing that everything was painted and drawn by hand and so realistic.

There wasn't a lot of merchandise connected with the movie so all I remember getting was the Film Picture Book.  

Interesting enough ( and I don't believe in luck or coincidence. I am  a firm believer in fate and destiny) some years later, when I was in summer prep school, my English teacher introduced us to the film AND the book. We wrote essays about the complexity of the characters and what the true message of the book and the storyline was.

I never lost interest in WSD and I reread the book again about three years ago or so.  Then I began collecting things like crazy, including the Royal Orleans items and managed to get an extremely rare set of the four original plushies from the UK that came out in 1978. I met someone on the Yahoo WSD group who sold me that set. I am still collecting, and wanted to have an entire room devoted to WSD and decorated to match that  English countryside style.  It's a work in progress.  I also would love to buy some animation cels and drawings from the original movie.

Now, even better, I met someone on my blog whom I corresponded with and I noticed that this friend lived in OVERTON, which was on the small map in the book. Well it turns out he is but five minutes away from the River Test. I wanted more than anything to SEE the real Watership Down and the other landmarks of the story. And I will get there one day.

Offline Hrair-Writer

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Hrair-Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2015, 08:47:29 PM »
First post here. To tell the truth I first encountered Watership down as a small child, was terrified, HATED it. But it became this 'awe' in my childhood, too - my relative told me the story of The Black Rabbit and El-Ahrairah before I could even read the book, and I became a fan when I was older when I read it myself, watched the series and so on. The lore and vocab is the best part for me, and in the film I adored the way the rabbits spoke - just their voices, it was very different than American centered films from Disney that I grew up with; I found Hazel and Fiver had much nicer, quieter voices.

I got into the series after being a bit against it when I was younger; I watched the Christmas special and despite my dislike of the violent bits in the actual film, I complained about the different character designs. But, I grew to love the series as a separate thing.

Though my first contact was of the infamous typical first contact: We watched the film as youngsters hoping for happy bunnies, got horrific life lesson instead and nightmares. But, stuff like that made me more of a mature person.

Offline Hyzenthlay69

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2015, 10:13:05 PM »
Quote from: Hrair-Writer on Jul 16 2015, 04:47:29 PM
First post here. To tell the truth I first encountered Watership down as a small child, was terrified, HATED it. But it became this 'awe' in my childhood, too - my relative told me the story of The Black Rabbit and El-Ahrairah before I could even read the book, and I became a fan when I was older when I read it myself, watched the series and so on. The lore and vocab is the best part for me, and in the film I adored the way the rabbits spoke - just their voices, it was very different than American centered films from Disney that I grew up with; I found Hazel and Fiver had much nicer, quieter voices.

I got into the series after being a bit against it when I was younger; I watched the Christmas special and despite my dislike of the violent bits in the actual film, I complained about the different character designs. But, I grew to love the series as a separate thing.

Though my first contact was of the infamous typical first contact: We watched the film as youngsters hoping for happy bunnies, got horrific life lesson instead and nightmares. But, stuff like that made me more of a mature person.

Hey welcome to the forum. I am a new member myself as well.  I was about 9 or 10 when the movie came out. I thought the characters were a lot more complex than the Disney ones too.

Offline Blackavar

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Blackavar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »
I watched the series of WSD in czech (We call it "Long way for home"). I was three or four, I think. But during the years, I forgot.

Last summer, I found it again. I realized WSD is not just a cartoon for small children, but also a movie and a book FOR ADULTS. I thought it can be very realistic and tough story and I wanted to know more.
Rabbits became my favourite pet.

In spring (march, maybe), I watched the movie (in Czech) and I definitelly fell in love with WSD. I really wanted to read a book, but it's quite old story and I found in Czech, this book doesn't exist anymore.
I bought a book in english and I tried to read the first part. I didn't understand everything but I was excited.
Right before the end of schoolyear, my teacher brought me the novel WSD in Czech. I couldn't believe that! :D During four days, I have read the whole book and I was absolutelly enthralled. In August, I bought a baby bunny (male) and named him Blackavar (Because Blackavar is my favourite character) and I have a small piece of Watership Down right next to my desk. :D

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2015, 05:39:56 PM »
My first contact with Watership Down was probably in 2007.  My mother was talking to a friend about books she could buy me, and the friend told her not to buy Watership Down because "it would scare (me) stiff!"

A few years later, she heard that it "wasn't that bad" and bought me the book.  It took me a while before I actally decided to read it, but then I loved it.  I found out about the series because it was mentionned in the Wikipedia article on the book.  It took me a while to decide to watch it, as I was sceptical due to the numorous changes.  I finally started to watch it on Youtube earlier this year, and I liked it.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Hyzenthlay69

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2015, 09:28:13 AM »
Quote from: Chipster-roo on Oct 24 2015, 01:39:56 PM
My first contact with Watership Down was probably in 2007.  My mother was talking to a friend about books she could buy me, and the friend told her not to buy Watership Down because "it would scare (me) stiff!"

A few years later, she heard that it "wasn't that bad" and bought me the book.  It took me a while before I actally decided to read it, but then I loved it.  I found out about the series because it was mentionned in the Wikipedia article on the book.  It took me a while to decide to watch it, as I was sceptical due to the numorous changes.  I finally started to watch it on Youtube earlier this year, and I liked it.
Have you seen the 1978 movie?

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2015, 04:54:27 PM »
Quote from: Hyzenthlay69 on Nov 10 2015, 04:28:13 AM
Quote from: Chipster-roo on Oct 24 2015, 01:39:56 PM

Have you seen the 1978 movie?
I saw it.  Overall, I think it was a very good adaptation of the book, with the exception of a few minor characters being left out.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Dragonskull

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Dragonskull
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2016, 11:00:24 AM »
I first watched Watership Down-the series when I was little. In my country, dubbed series is... well, let's just not go there (I now see the series on my mother language and I want to kill the dubs group. For example, they translated the title to "Rabbit Adventures"). Anyway, when I was little, I liked it, but, like my name, passed forgotten in time. Then, now I am 15, and I have officially become an otaku, I listened the words "Watership Down" on a video on YouTube, and I remembered that these words were on the title screen of a series I liked. I found the episodes in English, they were AWESOME, and then I watched the movie. I haven't found the book yet, but when I do, I am going to read it no matter what
Dragonskull, the Warrior with the forgotten name
My warren lost. My Identity of zero importance. All I have is the skull I wear on my head. This gave me my nickname, the name I am now called

Gamer - Writer - Magical Creatures Investigator

Offline DarkOne

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by DarkOne
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2016, 04:18:59 PM »
I saw the Movie when i was 8 or 9 years old.
I liked the General a lot but i sayed to myself forget him you will never see him again.
That was true i thought but in novembre 2012 i saw him again i hated him and the whole Film.
Now i know he is here with me and the Movie doesn't fears me again.
If i saw the Movie at first i had Nightmares for many nights. I told my Mother how the Dog scared me.
And she sayed i have never to watch this Movie again.
Now i have the DVD and if i'm strong i watch it but when Woundwort killed Blackavar(my favorite Scene) i stopped watching it. The series is not my i don't like it because Bigwig looks like a Grandpa and Woundwort is just ugly. Sorry
Greetings
DarkOne
I love you more than anybody ever loves a Rabbit!

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2016, 04:30:31 PM »
Quote from: DarkOne on Mar 9 2016, 11:18:59 AM
Woundwort is just ugly.
:woundwort

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Hazel

• A wave in the ocean
  • Junior Owsla
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Hazel
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2016, 06:47:32 PM »
When I was little, I watched the film and adored it (I was a tad scared too!)
And I also religiously watched Watership Down on CITV. It was my favourite show as a child.

I also had the books that were based on the TV show. (These ones!)

I didn't read the novels until later on. I bought the TV series boxset a few years back, and was surprised at the third season that I never got to see when I was little due to it not being shown!

I still well up when I listen to Bright Eyes. :(

When I was young, my favourite character was Pipkin. Probably because he was also young. Now I'm torn between Blackberry and Fiver. I see myself in both of them. :)
"People’s souls are like gardens. You can’t turn your back on someone because his garden’s full of weeds. You have to give him water and lots of sunshine."

Offline CockatielPony

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2016, 02:56:31 AM »
I watched the movie first. The only thing I knew about it was I heard it was violent, and I thought it sounded interesting. 2 years ago was the first time I watched it and I loved it. I next read the book, and then finished the series. My favorite medias are the book and the movie. I then became a fan of other Richard Adams books and read tales from watership down, the plague dogs, shardik, girl in a swing and traveler.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Strifer

• Jackrabbit
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Strifer
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »
I first met Watership Down about a year ago, a friend of mine suggested it to me. I saw the movie version and I immediately took interest in it. I've been digging around a bit to try and find some other things related to it, but because of money reasons I have not watched the series or read the book. Shame on me, I know.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 04:12:46 PM by Strifer »
“I am hopelessly and forever a mountaineer,” “Civilization and fever and all the morbidness that has been hooted at me has not dimmed my glacial eye, and I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature’s loveliness.”  -John Muir

Art & Nature - all at Strifer's Art and Strifer's Photographs

Offline Claws

• Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2016, 04:15:11 PM »
Hey JoshClockwrk, it's a pleasure to have you here :)

I know that tracking both individual DVDs and/or boxsets of the series can be really expensive, but you can watch it for free on a number of places (including YouTube) and trust me, it is a worthwhile experience. All you gonna need then is a load of free time... because it's gonna hook you in a way that only few series can accomplish :)

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2016, 04:28:19 PM »
And don't be put off because of the fillers (especially in season 2). Season 3 is worth the endurance. :woundwort3

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)