Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Your first contact with Watership Down  (Read 4391 times)

Offline Claws

• Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
Your first contact with Watership Down
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2016, 04:30:20 PM »
Quote from: Darkling Nocturnal on Apr 5 2016, 12:28:19 PM
And don't be put off because of the fillers (especially in season 2). Season 3 is worth the endurance. :woundwort3

Endurance? It's not a chore, mate :P

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2016, 04:38:32 PM »
Quote from: Silverweed's ClawsonApr 5 2016, 12:30:20 PM
Quote from: Darkling Nocturnal on Apr 5 2016, 12:28:19 PM
And don't be put off because of the fillers (especially in season 2). Season 3 is worth the endurance. :woundwort3

Endurance? It's not a chore, mate :P

You're right. It's more a punishment  :hannah

No, I honestly think, that the fillers are watchable. Unfortunately, most of them are put at the end of season 2.

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Claws

• Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • I speak:
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2016, 04:40:21 PM »
Season 2 tends to be the weak spot of animation... check out Animaniacs'.

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2016, 03:28:13 PM »
Quote from: Hazel on Apr 1 2016, 02:47:32 PM
When I was little, I watched the film and adored it (I was a tad scared too!)
And I also religiously watched Watership Down on CITV. It was my favourite show as a child.

I didn't read the novels until later on. I bought the TV series boxset a few years back, and was surprised at the third season that I never got to see when I was little due to it not being shown!
It was not on. Not on at all that CITV didn't show the third series! Supposed to be a UK-Canada co-production and we don't even get to see the result in the UK. Guess I might eventually give in to getting the boxset out of curiosity... as long as it's inexpensive. xp :hazel2
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline AndreofHazel

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by AndreofHazel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2016, 08:00:20 PM »
How did I become a Watership Down fan?

Well, let me tell you. It was on a rather warm, for the time, afternoon in autumn of 2008. It was either October or November, on a Wednesday or a Thursday, I can't really remember. Anyway, after coming back from primary school, having some lunch and doing a bit of my homework, I switched on the TV to see some cartoons while having a snack. The channel I watched cartoons at, was mainly broadcasting Nickelodeon programmes but it had recently switched to more vintage and classic toons.

(I posted this by mistake, therefore it's incomplete. Check back in a few days and you may find the whole story.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:17:51 PM by AndreofHazel »
What is the most awe-inspiring thing you have ever seen and why is it the face of the Black Rabbit of Inle?

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Hawkbit
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2016, 04:43:04 PM »
I first came into contact with WSD when I was still young (that makes me sound so old) and they showed the Dutch dub of the TV series on TV. It was one of my favourite shows (together with Animals of Farthing Wood) back then and they like reruns here so I saw it a lot. At about the same time (I think?) my father used to read the book (also in Dutch) to me before bed. I really loved both.
Still I kinda forgot all about it (maybe 'cause we had no internet back then and I didn't know other fans or something idk).
Somewhere in between I bought the film and watched that. I remember I was confused because I was expecting the TV series' designs.  :blackberry-buck
Then a few years ago I suddenly wanted to read the book again (I forgot why, probably looking up books with animals and saw/recognized the name) but I couldn't find our copy any more so I bought the English version and read that. I really loved it a lot (even though my memory is now very foggy on it). :hannah2
And last month I was feeling nostalgic and so I re-watched the TV series (I was really surprised there's a season 3! They never showed that here) and it was even better than I remembered! I fell in love with it all over again, or maybe even more.

And that's that. :dandelion
~ Join the WSD Community Read! ~
The more, the merrier^^

Offline AimaMuffin

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by AimaMuffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2016, 08:18:35 PM »
I found the book at a local library and I got obsessed with it  :strawberry

Offline Carnation264

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Carnation264
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2017, 01:05:56 AM »
I found out about Watership Down from my best friend sometime last year, in 2016. She talked about it and I was basically like "Ooh, what this be about" and well, when we watched the movie, I fell in love with it and then we got to watching the TV series a few months after watching the movie. I loved watching both a lot, well besides the ending to the third season haha, but loved both nonetheless and I can't wait for the miniseries.
Too much art in paws

Offline Ulysses

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Ulysses
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2017, 02:13:21 PM »
From the TV series.

Offline Hyzenthlay69

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Hyzenthlay69
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2018, 12:32:50 AM »
I've been absent for quite some time,  but had a strange ( actually three over the last months) WSD theme dreams, so I thought, maybe I should get back into things, opened up my box of collectibles and lo and behold here I am again :)

Offline Tien

• Hlessi
  • I'm pretty spry when I need to be ya know!
    • Show only replies by Tien
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
  • Favorite WD media: The book
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2018, 12:22:21 AM »
Quote from: Myrkin on May 20 2014, 06:22:50 AM
Darkling is right. Watership Down tv-series is quite good, once you get to know it. ;)
I'm sorry. I couldn't really get into the TV series. I didn't like all the unnecessary changes they made or the extra characters they added in. I thought with a series they had a better chance to showcase the full story that was from the book. Including the missed characters and some more of the stories Dandelion told. And while some of the characters that weren't in the movie did in fact appear, there was just far to much straying from the story for my taste.

Although I admit what attracted me was the fact that the art style was quite interesting. It was more kid friendly yes but I liked the wide spectrum of color and shapes they gave some of the rabbits. Although there were a few questionable design choices mixed in in my opinion but hey.

ANd personally I feel the only redeeming quaility the TV series had was that they did include Campion's character to it's full degree. I was a little sad in the movie when he didn't show his redeeming side, but for time constraints I understood. Campion is my one of my favorites right after Bigwig. SO I was pleasantly surprised by that.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:25:57 AM by GrimNoxPrincess »
♥♦◆ • Bigwig & Campion are BEST rabbits  • ◆♦♥

Offline Beegirl24

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Beegirl24
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2018, 06:06:18 PM »
I became a Watership down fan because were currently reading watership down in English class and the story got to me I really find it interesting on how the author made the characters and their life story is so amazing

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2018, 11:49:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum Beegirl :) I hope you will like it here :)
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Gothicmonocle

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Gothicmonocle
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Your first contact with Watership Down
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2018, 12:53:52 PM »
My introduction to Watership Down was pretty silly. There was this Greek channel called "Channel 9"   

:sarcasm (Really original you guys) 
And it used to be ALL cartoons. Other than Spongebob and other mainstream cartoons, there were some other, more obscure ones like some weird kid's show called "Bo on the Go" and a low budget flash animation called "Jidou sports". Fun times.  :irony

But from within the heaps of mindless garbage, there was a show that me and my older sister would never miss an episode from. I don't even remember how we started watching it or how old I was when I was initiated. (I don't think I was even older than a third-grader). Fast forward to my teenage years. I had fond memories of who the characters were, but I didn't remember what was even going on in the series (Mostly because the episodes were out of context because... who needs continuity, I guess.)  So I decided not remembering the plot my all time fav was a blasphemy and I rewatched the whole thing on youtube.

I fell in love again. And here I am scavanging the internet for people who like this show as much as I do and spewing out countless pieces of fanart that very few people will even notice sEND HELP.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: Your first contact with Watership Down
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2018, 05:42:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum @Gothicmonocle I hope you will like it here :)

Your avatar is really nice :vervain2 :pipkin Do you have a deviantArt account?
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!