Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Blackavar  (Read 714 times)

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
Blackavar
« on: February 15, 2014, 04:39:19 PM »
I got the idea to talk about Blackavar reading through the book again.  I realized if we're taking the book as the gospel on the WSD tale, then seriously, both forms of visual media really gave him the short straw.

The film: The original film did justice to Blackavar's plight in Efrafa.  Due to a lack of time you don't see much else.  Death by Woundwort?  Definitely over the top, and if you keep to the book, Blackavar probably could've put up quite a fight once his energy was back.  Owsla material he was, so the quick death was blah.  :meh

The series: Total blah...the series did nothing for him, except make him a whiny little brat.  Thankfully once he's out of Efrafa he disappears and you never hear from again.  If they were going to give him more of the same lines, its for the better we didn't hear any more from him.  :yes

Sure we can nitpick every character and how they were adapted for film or tv.  This is just one character that could've been done better, and he was important enough to show up in both mediums.

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Blackavar
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 05:03:03 PM »
IIRC, Blackavar was strong and more a warrior in the book than in the other media.

In the movie, well we saw his death only to show the cruelty of Efrafa resp. General Woundwort.

In the series, I got the feeling he was only included to have another character from the book. Giving Stephen Gately the voice acting part was also a flaw. His cover version of Bright Eyes might not be bad, but as a voice actor, he definitely fails. I almost got the feeling, Blackavar was like he was in the series to use Stephen Gately as a voice actor... a character, cut into the shape of the voice actor :meh

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Blackavar
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 05:55:57 PM »
Quote from: Quote:on 
In the movie, well we saw his death only to show the cruelty of Efrafa resp. General Woundwort.

That and perhaps producers of the movie decided to kill him, so the watchers would doubt in heroes' success or worry that other good guys may die, thus increasing dramatic tension. This reminds me of Serenity and Wash's death.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:56:50 PM by Myrkin »
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
Blackavar
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 11:37:08 PM »
Stephen Gately was as bad a voice actor as Billy Crudrup was for Ashitaka in Princess Mononoke. :rolleyes
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:37:18 PM by Hawkbit »

• Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Blackavar
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »
Quote from: Hawkbit on Feb 15 2014, 06:37:08 PM
Stephen Gately was as bad a voice actor as Billy Crudrup was for Ashitaka in Princess Mononoke. :rolleyes
Then I'm glad I only know the german version  :D

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
Blackavar
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:11:42 PM »
Bad joke, but he delivered a very monotone performance with no emotion for Ashitaka.  Definitely reminded me of what Gately did for tv Blackavar....he phoned it in.

• Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Blackavar
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 12:54:48 PM »
That's the problem when you use a singer who isn't a voice actor  :rolleyes

Offline StoryMing

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by StoryMing
    • View Profile
Re: Blackavar
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 04:00:07 PM »
The film cut out or condensed a number of things. Strawberry’s character, for one, is dropped completely (as are Buckthorn, Hawkbit, Acorn, and Speedwell); Dandelion and Silver are barely there at all.

I have been pondering what difference it makes, having Blackavar die in standing up to Woundwort, versus surviving, as he does in the book. But I am not sure what I think. I prefer him living, but I’m not sure how to understand the impact of one outcome vs the other on the overall story.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: Blackavar
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 08:26:51 PM »
That is my main complaint about the film: several characters and subplots being left out, due to the short running time.  I hope the miniseries can avoid this.

As for Blackavar's death, I find the scene rather pointless, since it didn't happen in the book.  Also, why add something like this instead of focusing on something that actually happened in the book?

But either way Blackavar isn't one of my favourites characters so his death doesn't bother me as much as it would have if it had been Pipkin or Blackberry instead
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!