Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: WSD game context and design  (Read 513 times)

Offline Mallow

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Mallow
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
WSD game context and design
« on: February 16, 2014, 07:33:55 AM »
After reading a couple topics on existing WSD inspired games, I'm wondering what the community's ideal Watership Down video game experience would be. What context of the story would be used? What kind of design should the game be based?

Personally, I would like to see a roaming rpg style game based on a new set of characters and environment but adhere's to the general behavior, beliefs, and social structure of WSD rabbits where you are a new rabbit and your role is chosen naturally through gameplay. But I also see a point-n-click adventure would be perfect for retelling a story and displaying artwork while keeping the user engaged in what's happening to the protagonists. Or perhaps a strategy game where you're the leader of a new warren and you must balance morale, safety, and survival of your subjects while making efficient use of resources to build a prosperous warren capable of accomplishing some sort of huge task.

The possibilities are virtually endless but this community knows what they like. I want to hear your thoughts.

Please discuss.

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:57:41 PM »
I am not a game person so even if a game is created I probably won't play it. I do agree with the point that roaming rpg is the best method giving users total control over characters and plot.

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 10:10:03 PM »
But I also see a point-n-click adventure would be perfect for retelling a story and displaying artwork while keeping the user engaged in what's happening to the protagonists.

There is at least one Watership Down game of this type. You might be interested in this topic:

http://fhc.soopergrape.com/index.php?topic=313.0
---

As for what kind of design should the WSD game be based on...? Hmm... Each of ideas you mention (and many others you don't ;) ) sounds great, but it is the execution of that idea that matters the most in the end. There have been many games that were going to be - as their developers promised - something amazing, but as finished product they turned out to be anything but (like Aliens: Colonial Marines to use recent example). What I'm trying to say is this: if the game is well designed, fun to play and/or has good story to tell, then I don't care much which particular video game genre it belongs to.

Having said that, I'd vote for RPG or point-n-click adventure. ;)
---

Personally, I would like to see a roaming rpg style game based on a new set of characters and environment but adhere's to the general behavior, beliefs, and social structure of WSD rabbits where you are a new rabbit and your role is chosen naturally through gameplay.

One person on deviantART is working on something like this. Check his gallery here:

http://indiewolf99.deviantart.com/gallery/

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:54:59 PM by Chipster-roo »
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Mallow

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Mallow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:48:51 AM »
I know some of us don't even play games and I'm looking for that response too. Perhaps the biggest point of WSD is the story and it needs no method of interaction. For me, interaction is key in learning more about the world (imaginary or not) and allows people to gain a clearer understanding of a message the artist is trying to portray even if it is open to interpretation.

That being said I'm looking for ideal experience. So let's say the game is well executed and is sure to be a hit. What does it look like?

BTW, I love the deviantart project. In my experience the hardest part of making an rpg is the visuals -- the art.

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 01:08:51 PM »
Quote from: Quote:on 
That being said I'm looking for ideal experience. So let's say the game is well executed and is sure to be a hit. What does it look like?

Hmm... If it was an adventure game, then I'd prefer it to be like The Walking Dead made by     Telltale Games. By that I mean a game focused on story and character development, instead of solving puzzles. I can't say I am a big fan of spending hours on thinking: "should I mix cat's fur with broken glass or use it on statue of Venus de Milo?", which is a standard feature of many adventure games. :D
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.