Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: About "Shipping" names...  (Read 919 times)

Offline Indi-Rah

• Silver
    • Show only replies by Indi-Rah
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
About "Shipping" names...
« on: March 07, 2014, 02:46:11 AM »
So, I used to be a Warriors fan. Pretty logical - it's a bit like WsD in a few ways. So, I used to be apart of this fansite - called Warriors Wish - for the series. So, I had stumbled upon this site, Warriors Wish, and, being the little shipper I am, the shipping category of the forum had caught my eye. Well, these people had set up this system in which every warriors pairing they'd come up with was named a certain way, each distinct.

Every. Single. One. And in warriors, that's not exactly an easy feat. So, it should work for Watership Down, too. I thought I'd want to try it when it occurred to me that coining a mixed name for Spartina/Bigwig or Thethuthinang/Bigwig would not be easy. So here's how it works...

You take the desired couple and look at the dynamics. Let's use Blackberry/Campion, from the series, for example - you could look at just the names, Blackberry and Campion, which are both flowering plants. Blackberries bloom white, and Campion is actually a moss-plant that blooms pink. It's kind of a light flower, so if I liked it a lot, I could call this pairing "Paleship" or "Paleshipping." But if I didn't want to go that route, I could also look at how Campion treats Blackberry in Darkhaven and go for "Nobleship/ing" if I liked that one.

Another example, "Battleship" for Spartina/Bigwig, for obvious reasons. xD Plus, it's Battleship.

This is just a thought, but I definitely thought it might be worth mentioning to you all since I know you all like shipping, too. xD

Here's Warriors Wish's total list of shippings:
http://www.forum.warriorswish.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15722
"My chief rabbit told me to defend this run... And until he says otherwise, that's what I'll do."

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 09:51:42 PM »
Quote from: Quote:on 
Another example, "Battleship" for Spartina/Bigwig, for obvious reasons. xD Plus, it's Battleship.

:spit

This is just a thought, but I definitely thought it might be worth mentioning to you all since I know you all like shipping, too. xD

Indeed. :) Shipping characters can be fun, although it can sometimes get a little tense when people disagree on what people should become a couple. In WSD fandom, for instance, some thought that Primrose should be Campion's mate instead of Hazel's. And some thought she should be nobody's mate, saying she is selfish and manipulative. However, I believe we can do this without setting fire to the forum. ;)

I have to admit, that I was only acquainted with a way of naming couples that involved mixing parts of their names. For example: the pairing of Blackberry and Vervain would be called Verberry or something like that. Your way seems to be more flexible, since we can use more elements than just characters names.

I think we could call Hazel/Primrose pairing "Starship" (I have a feeling that somebody already did), because their relationship starts to grow during "Thank You Stars" song. Then again, when I remember the episode "Escape from Efrafa" and how Hazel and Primrose stop for a long time to look in each other's eyes (which almost allowed Efrafans to caught them), then I'm thinking of naming it "Stareship". :p  

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Indi-Rah

• Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 10:58:51 PM »
[/quote]
Shipping characters can be fun, although it can sometimes get a little tense when people disagree on what people should become a couple. ...  However, I believe we can do this without setting fire to the forum. ;)

I think we can, too. I mean, I definitely see how it could go terribly wrong - just see Harry Potter for that one - but this isn't about which ships are 'right' or 'wrong,' it's about giving them names - Whether it be Bluebell/Nelthilta, Hazel/Primrose, Bigwig/Hyzenthlay, or even Fiver/Dandelion. xD

I think we could call Hazel/Primrose pairing "Starship" (I have a feeling that somebody already did), because their relationship starts to grow during "Thank You Stars" song. Then again, when I remember the episode "Escape from Efrafa" and how Hazel and Primrose stop for a long time to look in each other's eyes (which almost allowed Efrafans to caught them), then I'm thinking of naming it "Stareship". :p  

I like those two. xD Now, the way that the other forum did it, they had gathered up people's name ideas and took the favorites, then held a poll. For that, though, we'd probably want a shipping sub-forum so that it doesn't flood the other forum areas. xD
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:04:50 PM by Indi-Rah »
"My chief rabbit told me to defend this run... And until he says otherwise, that's what I'll do."

Offline Keeralie Starflight

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Keeralie Starflight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 01:12:15 AM »
I think it's a good idea. I'm no good with coming up with names...but I think Starship does sound cool, even if I'm not a big fan of the Hazel/Primrose pairing. :) *goes to think* XD
"What would you give to save your friends? To save Watership Down?"

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 09:30:38 PM »
Now, the way that the other forum did it, they had gathered up people's name ideas and took the favorites, then held a poll. For that, though, we'd probably want a shipping sub-forum so that it doesn't flood the other forum areas. xD

That can be done. :) Should shipping sub-forum be devoted to discussing romantic couples only or could we talk about other kind of relationships (like rivalries, friendships and so on) in there? What do you think?
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Indi-Rah

• Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 03:02:17 AM »
I think it'd be interesting for it to also have other relationship types too, but I feel like those fit fairly well in other sections and are less commonly discussed.

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 06:59:47 PM »
True. What should this sub-forum be called then? "Shipping Forum"? "Relationship Discussions"? "Pairings"? Something else?

Offline Indi-Rah

• Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 10:07:44 AM »
I'd say shippings, and if anyone has something for other types of relationships, they can post 'em there, too.

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 01:07:51 PM »
Done. :)

Now we will have to think up more names for pairings.

Offline Tien

• Hlessi
  • I'm pretty spry when I need to be ya know!
    • Show only replies by Tien
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
  • Favorite WD media: The book
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 02:08:43 AM »
I don't really Ship Spartina with anyone to be honest but I'm not gonna make a big case out of it LOL People should be able to ship what they want. People have different opinions, that's what makes us unique. It's those types of unique views that can bring us together.
♥♦◆ • Bigwig & Campion are BEST rabbits  • ◆♦♥