Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: New tv series in the making?  (Read 10164 times)

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
New tv series in the making?
« on: August 28, 2014, 11:05:29 AM »
I found this article on Broadcast website:

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/bbc-to-make-watership-down-animated-series/5074023.article

The BBC is developing an animated television series based on classic children’s novel Watership Down.

Tom Bidwell, who adapted hit E4 comedy drama My Mad Fat Diary and has penned episodes of EastEnders and Casualty, is writing scripts for the series.

It is being produced by management company 42, which recently struck a first-look distribution and development deal with ITV Studios Global Entertainment.

The company has a background in feature film production, with credits such as 2008 urban drama Shifty, and looks after several well-known actors including Michael Caine, Christopher Lee and Emily Mortimer.

Although development of the Watership Down series is at an early stage, it is thought that the project is being lined up for a family friendly slot, potentially on BBC1. The move is the latest example of a nostalgic commissioning boom in children’s television and follows the revival of Teletubbies, Danger Mouse, Thunderbirds, Bob The Builder and The Wombles.

That's not much to go on, but I thought you might find this interesting.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:22:50 PM by Chipster-roo »
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:10:45 AM »

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:38:43 AM »
Indeed. If they make new tv-series, it might bring awareness of Watership Down franchise to new people and increase numbers of fans. Hopefully.
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

• Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:08:36 PM »
Imagine, A series with the epic broadness of the 1999 tv series combined with the darkness und brutality of the movie  :wub

I know, that brutality is no quality indicator, but the movie lived from it's dark and brutal images.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:09:04 PM by Darkling Nocturnal »

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 12:17:07 PM »
Something like rabbit version of "Game of Thrones"? That would be a dream come true. :)

However, since this series is supposed to be put in family friendly slot (IF they actually make it), I don't think it will be very brutal or dark.

• Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 12:22:14 PM »
But maybe more book-orientated. Even, if it's only 13 episodes, you could create something really nice with the right story writers :)

Offline s-tlk

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by s-tlk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.s-tlk.org/
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 09:22:38 PM »
Wow, that's awesome news. I hope this time they begin at the beginning and don't start, like the series, in the middle of events. ;)

I was also wondering what happens to this rumor about a CGI remake of the movie, but maybe they replaced it for this new series, because you can't find any information anymore.

Offline Keith

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Keith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:53 PM »
Interesting, If this is for real and official, I'll be looking out for it.

Quote from: Quote:on 
Something like rabbit version of "Game of Thrones"? That would be a dream come true

That's what I'm talking about! Assuming they aren't gonna try to make it family friendly. But if this combines what the 1999 TV series got right with the darker tone of the book/film, I'm all for it! Then again, I'm all for it either way.
"Mercy is for Fools, the dead shall lie where I powned them!!"

Youtube Channel
My Tumblr
My Facebook
My Twitter
My Blog

Offline CaptainCampion

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by CaptainCampion
    • View Profile
    • http://captain-bigwig.tumblr.com
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 11:09:34 PM »
I heard about this a long time ago on Tumblr. I sincerely hope they follow through with this! Maybe it'll invoke new merchandise and new fans. America will probably continue to be left in the dark, but anyone lucky enough to live in the UK might reap the benefits. If they really do go through with this, I would cry with joy. Even if they made it overly-kiddie or overly-simplified, it would still warm my heart at the thought that new people can get into our fandom.

Offline Embemxrabbit

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Embemxrabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »
Okay I saw this tonight and was about to rush to this forum and tell you all because I was really excited. But you all found out months ago *hides in embarrassment* I'm really happy they re making a new series of course but it seems like a bit of a waste to just leave the other one. Isn't three versions of Watership down a bit much?
'I'd go with the Black Rabbit if it meant freedom and peace for all of us,' - Blackberry
Warrens of Watership Down

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 09:13:44 PM »
I guess it might get a bit confusing when we will be discussing two tv-series instead of one (assuming they are actually going to make this new tv-series), but I don't think it's going to be a very big issue.

As for not continuing the old tv-series... It has been a long time since the end of 1999-2001 series, so making a completely new show might be more practical than trying to create a new plot that would pick up right after the end of third season.

Offline Clover

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Clover
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 01:05:41 PM »
I happened to check the forum out (I forgot all about checking it like I said I would due to having to worry about graduating high school and then getting a job right after) but I'm glad I did now or else I'd probably not heard about it.

@Myrkin: Who knows? Making it a direct continuation to the old series could work out. I think that is going to happen with Red Wall. Last I read about that, there was going to be a new season based on Mossflower (I think that's the name of the book, it's been a while).

But either way, I can't wait to see it. Hopefully I don't forget all about Watership Down again, haha. I guess getting back into Alpha and Omega is the cause of that (not that I'm complaining since the new fourth movie is actually better than the original).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:06:17 PM by Clover »

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 04:08:36 PM »
@Myrkin: Who knows? Making it a direct continuation to the old series could work out. I think that is going to happen with Red Wall. Last I read about that, there was going to be a new season based on Mossflower (I think that's the name of the book, it's been a while).

I think it's easier to do it in case of Redwall, because almost each book has a different set of characters and one doesn't need to have knowledge of events from other books in order to fully enjoy the plot.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:24:52 PM by Chipster-roo »

Offline Claws

• Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 04:44:45 PM »
I'm honestly not that excited about a new show. They did a marvelous job in the previous one (the one with all know and love) and a new one seems like a bad idea to me.

Still, if they make it, I wish it's something worthwhile.

• Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 05:53:43 PM »
Yes, that's one point I'm afraid of. But on the other hand, I hope it will be as much different from the old series than the old series from the movie.