Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: So... what did exactly happen to Vervain?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
So... what did exactly happen to Vervain?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2016, 11:38:48 PM »
That's an interesting analysis, Chibiscuit.

I read your fanfic in which Vervain ends up living at Buttercup's warren, and that's certainly the best that could happen to him.  As you say, he wouldn't survive as a hlessi (remember The Wanderer), and there is no other warren where he could go.

I can easily see Granite joining the Watership Down warren.  While some rabbits, such as Hawkbit, would probably object, Blackberry would probably be able to convince Hazel that he's all right.  And besides, what would he have to gain by going back to Darkhaven?  The entire army was destroyed.  The others would probably think he is insane, lying and/or a coward (he says the Black Rabbit of InlĂ© took the army with him?  He must be crazy/That's the worst excuse for defeat I've ever heard).

And I really do wonder what happened to the Speaker of the Past, her students, and any other rabbits who may have stayed behind.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Dandelion
  • Aya ~The Bunny Cat ~
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 01:47:04 PM »
Thank you, Chipster. :)

Now that I think about it... I was only thinking of how the other rabbits might react to the Speaker after the defeat but how would the Speaker herself react to the news? Assuming she truly believed in the prophecy, she must've become disillusioned, I think. Or maybe she'd deny the loss, not believing the survivors at all, and expecting the Dark One to return at any moment.

Now I think it unlikely that this was the case but what if she didn't actually believe the prophecy? What if she had just been using it as a means to control the rabbits of Darkhaven? If so, she would risk losing her grip on the warren and might want to think of new ways to control them.
Like I said, I don't think this was the case but it would be an interesting scenario to explore, I think. Heh, I can just imagine her staring at Woundwort when he arrived and just thinking :speaker-of-the-past : "Oh hraka, he actually showed up." :p
~ Join the WSD Community Read! ~
The more, the merrier^^

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2016, 11:02:53 AM »
Well... Spartina said that promise of Dark One's return was the only thing keeping Darkhaven together. With that in mind, it could be possible that the Speaker didn't believe the prophecy, but still used it to make sure that the warren keeps on existing (and not necessary for her own benefit/lust for power) instead of dissolving into nothing more than a few groups of hlessi. If she was alive before bad things happened to original Darkhaven (the one when Woundwort was just a kitten), then she would probably want to hold on to last vestiges of her old home even though it turned into horrible place to live in.
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.