Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: The Vision  (Read 769 times)

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
The Vision
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 01:49:10 AM »
I think such an episode would be a good idea.  In the actual series, at the end of episode 9 Hazel announces he will be a father, and by the beginning of episode 10, Primrose has given birth and the kittens are old enough to eat solid food.  This leaves a few months between the two episodes, and exploring what happens in the meantime would be great, and would make it possible to have some cute Hazel/Primrose moments.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!

Offline Hickory

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Hickory
    • View Profile
The Vision
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 02:09:42 AM »
Quote from: Chipster-roo on Feb 19 2018, 08:49:10 PM
I think such an episode would be a good idea.  In the actual series, at the end of episode 9 Hazel announces he will be a father, and by the beginning of episode 10, Primrose has given birth and the kittens are old enough to eat solid food.  This leaves a few months between the two episodes, and exploring what happens in the meantime would be great, and would make it possible to have some cute Hazel/Primrose moments.
Hi there. If anyone is still commenting, I’ll throw in my 2 cents. :aspen

The montage itself was a bit strange especially with showing footage from Season 2 that hadn’t aired yet. Now another popular British property called Thomas The Tank Engine does have a familiar pattern of showing clips from past episodes too but they only do it from previous episodes and not episodes that haven’t aired yet though in that show’s case, reusing footage was common likely to save money and just showcase the engines working. At least it was the only time an episode of Watership Down had that weird montage combination of past and not yet aired clips.

Probably my Favorite part of this episode was the introduction to Captain Broom. A series exclusive Captain character with a knack for telling stories, is able to trick Woundwort later on in Season 2 and a great performance by the late Richard Briers! :captain-broom

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
The Vision
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 01:26:08 AM »
That's really interesting; I didn't know about this :)

Captain Broom is probably, along with Spartina, my favourite series-only character.  It probably would have been nice if Richard Briers had received a mention in the opening credits like John Hurt though...
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Offline Hickory

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Hickory
    • View Profile
The Vision
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 02:45:34 AM »
Quote from: Chipster-roo on Mar 31 2018, 09:26:08 PM
That's really interesting; I didn't know about this :)

Captain Broom is probably, along with Spartina, my favourite series-only character.  It probably would have been nice if Richard Briers had received a mention in the opening credits like John Hurt though...
Yeah. Going back through the series, Rik Mayall and Jane Horrocks were always credited in Season 1 And 2 regardless if only one of them was in an episode so it’s weird that Richard Briers never was named after the episode title was introduced for any of his appearances. Though he did receive billing in the standard credits so it’s not like no one forgot there.

One thing I’m puzzled about is did this episode have one or two morals? It seemed like the storyline with the defence on the weasel might have been along the lines of blaming others for things they can’t control doesn’t solve anything and the journey to check Redstone implies perhaps sometimes a little bit of hope can keep you strong in some of your toughest times?

If anyone could maybe help me on this, I’d appreciate it

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
The Vision
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 10:36:40 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if this episode had two morals; it wouldn't be the only episode to do that.

I think I'll create a new thread to elaborate on this...