Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: The Suggestion Thread  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
The Suggestion Thread
« on: February 26, 2015, 05:12:17 PM »
In my opinion, we are currently at a point, where the forum is suffering from lacking activity.

When I look in the member list, I'm wondering where is Bluebell, Embemxrabbit, Fivergoalkeeper, Foxbrow, Keeralie Starflight, Kornblume or madame-baggins? All members, that have been active some time ago.

But now, the Honeycomb has gotten silent. And I simply think: What can we do to motivate the hlessill to come back to the warren.

One thing, that has been added (and that I would like to see within more user-profiles) is the "Favorite WSD-Media"-selection.

Another thing could be special content, that's reachable through the forum (why not some more Honeycomb-wallpaper :) )

We have an RPG-Section and a Caption Corner. Any ideas, what we could add (and what's WSD-related) to motivate our members?

This should be some kind of brainstorming, what we can do to increase the activity.

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
The Suggestion Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 05:52:23 PM »
I would move this topic to public section of the forum. Let the people say what they would like to see on the forum. It's not much of brainstorming, if we are the only two who do this. ;)
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
The Suggestion Thread
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 06:03:22 PM »
I agree. This is now more a brain breeze than a brain storm.

Moved the topic to the Coarkboard.

Also dear members: What do you want to see here in the Honeycomb? Come and participate :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:03:47 PM by Darkling Nocturnal »

Offline Silverweed's Claws

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Silverweed's Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
The Suggestion Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 06:50:14 PM »
I'm worried about the lack of activity too. This is a great place but it is getting more and more silent with every new day.

I will voluntarily donate one Steam Key (I still have to choose which one) if we make some kind of contest to encourage new members to join and stay (let's say... you need up to 10 post to enter the competition).

EDIT: And yes, I'm aware that one measly key is just too little, but It is all I can give... I don't really buy games that often.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:52:01 PM by Silverweed's Claws »

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
The Suggestion Thread
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 07:47:53 PM »
If I remember correctly, Gang of Five forum has a yearly event, when people vote on the people in several categories, like Best Roleplayer of the year, Best Discusser, Best Topic Starter and so one. When a person wins in one of those categories, they receive a nice picture/banner with their won title, which they can put in their signature, so everybody will know about their achievements on the forum from that particular year.

Perhaps we could do something like that? What do you think?
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • I speak:
The Suggestion Thread
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 09:35:40 PM »
Quote from: Myrkin on Feb 26 2015, 02:47:53 PM
If I remember correctly, Gang of Five forum has a yearly event, when people vote on the people in several categories, like Best Roleplayer of the year, Best Discusser, Best Topic Starter and so one. When a person wins in one of those categories, they receive a nice picture/banner with their won title, which they can put in their signature, so everybody will know about their achievements on the forum from that particular year.

Perhaps we could do something like that? What do you think?

But what kind of award can we give in order to lure members in? Rookie of the Year or something?

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • I speak:
The Suggestion Thread
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:47:09 PM »
Also... we should totaly have a "Fiver's Honeycomb/High Lonely Hills" thread at GoF.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:47:21 PM by Silverweed's Claws »

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
The Suggestion Thread
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 09:53:50 PM »
If it's welcome there, that wouldn't be the worst idea. I must confess, that I've got all the movies but anyhow, I'm not the LBT megafan and to be honest, I haven't the desire to register to the GoF forum (may Frith protect me from Hawkbit's revenge!).

But the idea sounds good and I would be glad, if someone, who's also registered there would take charge of it :)

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
The Suggestion Thread
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 02:20:49 AM »
Keeping activity alive has been a challenge for *any* Watership Down forum in the past ten years.  The last Watership Down forum I was a member of had a four year streak, and just died like that.  We'll close in on four years in April I think.  Hate to say history repeats itself, but the fans come in spurts it seems and then nobody wants to talk again.  I really don't get why.  I get the show isn't for everyone, the film isn't for everyone (many seem to say how they are traumatized by it), but its pretty popular overall, so I'm baffled to say the least having been running around forums for thirteen years now.

Quote from: Quote:on 

Those awards are a catch-22 with me.  We started them when the forum was small, and it was small and fun.  We only did like five or six awards.  Now its large and time consuming and eventually as things got busier in my life and I retired from the GOF as head admin I couldn't participate in those because I didn't know the new people.  We would more activity here for them to make sense though...I think there's like six of us here that are active...we would basically be giving ourselves pats on the back at this point.  I would think coming across as some sort of clique would keep people away rather than encourage them to join in.  Just my two cents on it.

I haven't the desire to register to the GoF forum (may Frith protect me from Hawkbit's revenge!).

I'm retired staff at this point over there so no, there's no wrath of Frith coming down on you if you don't join that group. :p  I'm very surprised that place has held on for as long as it has.

So yeah, I wrote all that and wrote no ideas. :S

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
The Suggestion Thread
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 11:06:34 AM »
Yes, I come now with my tunnel vision :p

Why not create more Wallpaper with the identity of the forum Like here

I could show them on my website, post them on Facebook ect.

So maybe people, who've been just looking for WSD-designs would find a hint to the forum and visit it.

Virtually a (very) huge banner.

Edit: Added a banner. Maybe, this topic get's now a bit more attention :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:23:56 PM by Darkling Nocturnal »

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
The Suggestion Thread
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 08:01:39 PM »
Quote from: Hawkbit on  
Those awards are a catch-22 with me. We started them when the forum was small, and it was small and fun. We only did like five or six awards. Now its large and time consuming and eventually as things got busier in my life and I retired from the GOF as head admin I couldn't participate in those because I didn't know the new people. We would more activity here for them to make sense though...I think there's like six of us here that are active...we would basically be giving ourselves pats on the back at this point. I would think coming across as some sort of clique would keep people away rather than encourage them to join in. Just my two cents on it.

Good point. We should wait with doing that kind of competition till we have more active users or some of old ones return. ;)

---

Quote from: Silverweed's Clawson 
Also... we should totaly have a "Fiver's Honeycomb/High Lonely Hills" thread at GoF.

Good idea. :) I think Hawkbit created a topic there once. Perhaps I could use it to remind people there we are still alive. Is that kind of advertisement okay on GoF, Hawkbit?

---

Quote from: Darkling Nocturnal on  
Why not create more Wallpaper with the identity of the forum Like here

I could show them on my website, post them on Facebook ect.

So maybe people, who've been just looking for WSD-designs would find a hint to the forum and visit it.

Virtually a (very) huge banner.

That's another good idea. :)

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • I speak:
The Suggestion Thread
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 08:33:56 PM »
Nice effort on the banner, Darkling!. Very nice job... let's just hope that it drives some attention to our cause :)

Also, I suggest that we get rid of Darkling :P

And as for the GoF thread... I think that Myrkin should be the most appropriate member to do it... I'm just too new in there to do that.

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
The Suggestion Thread
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 09:28:42 PM »
Nice effort on the banner, Darkling!. Very nice job... let's just hope that it drives some attention to our cause :)
Thank you, Claws :)
Also, I suggest that we get rid of Darkling :P [/spoiler]
You'll never get rid of the bat. My wings will haunt you into your darkest dreams. And when you think, you can sleep calmly, you'll hear the noise: Flap Flap Flap!!!  :angry

And when you wake up, bathed in perspiration, in the dead of night, you will realize: It's Time to visit Fiver's Honeycomb  :neener

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • I speak:
The Suggestion Thread
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 09:37:18 PM »
Quote from: Darkling Nocturnal on Feb 27 2015, 04:28:42 PM
Thank you, Claws :)
Also, I suggest that we get rid of Darkling :P
You'll never get rid of the bat. My wings will haunt you into your darkest dreams. And when you think, you can sleep calmly, you'll hear the noise: Flap Flap Flap!!!  :angry

And when you wake up, bathed in perspiration, in the dead of night, you will realize: It's Time to visit Fiver's Honeycomb  :neener
Jajajaj :D

You are such an awesome dude, Darkling. Don't ya ever change! :)

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
The Suggestion Thread
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 09:51:29 PM »
Thank you :) I haven't the desire the transform into a squirrel or something commensurable  :D

And it's good that you're part of this warren, Claws  :exactly