Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Watership Down in Donnie Darko  (Read 497 times)

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Watership Down in Donnie Darko
« on: October 17, 2015, 09:45:40 PM »
Quote from: Quote:on 
2001, director Richard Kelly shoot his movie "Donnie Darko". Watership Down exerted an significant influence on this movie as well.

In the movie, Donnie is able to travel into a parallel universe, where he has to accomplish serveral orders to finally save his universe. He's lead by Frank, who appears Donnie as a kind of huge zombie rabbit. According to Richard Kelly, this idea is based on the book Watership Down. This is not really surprising, because Frank could go for an anthropomorphic version of the Black Rabbit of Inlé.

All Infos on HighLonelyHills.com
Well, it could be said, that Donnie Darko wouldn't be possible without Richard Adams' Watership Down, or at least, it would be a different movie. And because Watership Down takes a bigger part in Donnie Darko, I think, Donnie Darko could have a place here in Fiver's Honeycomb.

I wrote down the influence of Watership Down to this movie on my website, And as a Watership Down fan, you've self-evidently watched Donnie Darko.

What, you haven't heard about Donnie Darko before? You are curious and want to buy now the movie? But first, let me help you, finding the right releases, as there are:

• The cinematic version of the movie: This is for people who wants to riddle. You must know, that Richard Kelly has written a small book, called "Philosophy of Time Travel". You need this book and its information to understand the movie. Usually, it's part of the bonus-features on the DVD.
  • The director's cut: This version is easier to understand, because the elemental parts of the book are shown within the movie. Less David Lynch like, but easier to watch. I prefer this version of the movie.
  • The soundtrack: If you like the 80's, then you need the soundtrack! It's a double cd and contains also the amazing score of the movie.
  • The movie book: Haven't understand something or even missed something? The movie book is the written version of the movie. It also contains the book "Philosophy of Time Travel".
  • The sequel: Yes, there's a sequel of the movie, called S. Darko. I don't think, it's so awful like everyone says. It's nice to watch, but not comparable with the original. Richard Kelly dissociated from the movie, because Donnie Darko is finished with his version.

Now, you should have all information, you need. Give the movie a try, and share your thoughts about it here in Fiver's Honeycomb. No, we're no Donnie Darko-forum, but when Watership Down has such a huge influence on a movie, I think, we can discuss it here in our community (otherwise, my writing here was for nothing :p )

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 09:57:39 AM »
Another movie classic I haven't gotten around to watch. I'll have to fix that one of these days. :)
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

• Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 10:03:49 AM »
Remember: If you want to have the Watership Down bonus, watch the Director's Cut :fiver
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:04:00 AM by Darkling Nocturnal »

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 10:29:11 AM »
Okay. I'll remember. ;)
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

• Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 03:44:30 PM »
Man, it's sad, that no one else seems to have seen that fantastic movie. Frank is fantastic! :inle-series