Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Apple's expensive products  (Read 467 times)

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
  • Love voice acting in cartoons
    • Show only replies by Magic-Rabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
Apple's expensive products
« on: June 30, 2017, 01:09:21 PM »
Now firstly I own a 160GB iPod Classic and it was worth the money and I will have to upgrade it to a 240GB hard drive in the future.

What I mainly want to talk about is the very well know fact that a lot of Apple products are hugely expensive and yet most of the time it's not for much of an upgrade.

Now Apple have eliminated the 3.5mm headphone jack from the iPhone 7 for good because it took "courage" and now you need an adapter just to connect your headphones/earphones to the phone.

As well as the lightning port earphone which is even more ways to get money out of the customer.

The new wireless earpods are also annoying because for £300/$300 you are literally throwing your money down the drain if you continuously lose a pair.  

I believe that the general public are essentially paying too much for very little sometimes and the annoyance of Apple Mac's being upwards £1000/$1000 each is truly money grabbing at it's finest.

Now if you're going to ask me if the public will continue to buy Apple products in a consecutive  round? The yes they will.

But do I think that the prices on some products are worth paying a lot of money for? Not really.

Also they charge people for every new piece of hardware such as a cable because they keep changing the connectors or a charger.

And that is why I mainly stay away from Apple products. :)
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."- Lord Frith

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »
I have, what Apple would think of it as, an 'ancient' mac mini. It's needed some kind of upgrade for years now but I'm wary of doing so. If I did go in a store (there aren't even any very close) I'm not even sure the staff there would be trained about my ye olde mini. I can imagine whatever their knowledge they would try and make me buy some new, expensive thing, but that is not what I want. I just want a little upgrade to put on my dear little mac, but realise due to its 'ancientness' it won't be able to update very much. I'm worried even an upgrade package might muck up what I've already got on there and I really do not want to do that...  And so it still sits there, un-updated. :D

But yeah, don't intend to spend much on Apple products if I can help it. Bothers the heck out of me that things aren't built to last when really they could do so, that everything has to be upgraded after practically a few months due to greedy companies. Grrr!
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 05:13:10 PM »
Well some fans take it to the intense levels of buy every phone the day it comes out year after year and the same Apple laptop year after year.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."- Lord Frith

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 05:45:43 PM »
I don't have any Apple devices, and I don't intend to buy any.

What I really don't understand is why people feel the need to buy the latest iPhone every time a new one is released.  Seriously, you still have a working phone, why do you need a new one?  And it's not as if it brought any new revolutionary features, sometimes they even remove features, like the audio jack Magic mentioned in the first post.

It's not like the phone magically stopped working once a new one is available.

I'm afraid you're right, Meadow, that not upgrading your current mac mini is the best possibility :/
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:04:15 PM »
My iPod is as far as I've got and is as far as I'm going to go.

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 05:44:24 AM »
Quote from: MeadowRabbit on Jun 30 2017, 12:41:32 PM
I have ... an ... mac mini.
I would say: It's all your own fault. :p

Sorry, by ex-boss had an iPhone, my nephew has an iPhone since he's about 6 years old.

And I have absolutely no understanding for this. Especially, when my nephew comes and says "I want a new iPhone, mine's too old!! Buy me one!!!"

The iPhone has bugs (didn't start ect.), it has a crappy interface and I'm pretty sure, you can't install alternate launchers to customize the interface.

An iPhone has nothing, an Android-device would have in a better way.

Sure, Android has some security lacks. For example: I bought the 1C Keyboard app. And this app installed adware on my phone!! So I wasted my money to buy crap.

But all in all, with android you get more service for less money.

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »
3 things come to the mind of iPhone 7 users:

Picture 1:

Picture 2:

Picture 3:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:23:35 PM by Magic-Rabbit »

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 03:07:56 PM »
Do Mac Minis even exist as a product any more? :D Back in 2008, or whenever I got it, it was given to me free with a few programs (imagine that - a free Apple product! all the money I saved!), so I'm not going to knock it! and intend to continue to get as much use from it as I can. :D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:10:19 PM by MeadowRabbit »

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 09:21:19 PM »
Quote from: Darkling Nocturnal on Jul 2 2017, 01:44:24 AM
Especially, when my nephew comes and says "I want a new iPhone, mine's too old!! Buy me one!!!"
:bigwig2
Seriously, his old iPhone probably wasn't even that old, and probably still functional.  Well, as functional as possible; it's still an iPhone :irony

Magic these are funny :D

I remember reading an article somewhere, about a new Mac computer that had no ports.  At all (except the charger).  Want to use another keyboard?  A mouse?  External hard drive?  Sorry, you can't.  Get a new one that uses Bluetooth.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 09:28:58 PM »
So you couldn't even plug in a USB stick? That's ridiculous!

I'm so behind the times with technology. I have little clue about stuff from the past 10 years or so.  :hannah4

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 06:49:18 PM »
iPhone X... Who wants to waste £1000, $1000, €1000?

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 07:55:18 PM »
It's over 1300$ in Canada :fiver2

But seriously, if you already have a working phone, why buy the latest generation?  It's a waste of money, not to mention the environmental impact of throwing away all these perfectly-functional phones that aren't the latest model...