Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Rabscuttle  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Rabscuttle
« on: April 04, 2019, 10:32:47 PM »
It's pretty disappointing that Rabscuttle didn't appear in the miniseries, honestly.  I don't even think Bluebell mentioned him during his (interrupted) retellings of El-ahrairah stories.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: Rabscuttle
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 10:33:46 PM »
Rabscuttle deserves more love from the adaptations. Yet another reason why a spin-off about the Prince of Rabbits and his Owsla captain would be amazing!
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 10:34:47 PM »
That could be great :)

I don't remember if you've read TFWD, but
Spoiler: ShowHide
he doesn't do much there either.  I remember a few chapters where El-ahrairah says that he wish Rabscuttle was there because he's lonely, or something like that.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:47:37 PM »
I have read it once but I honestly can't remember anything concrete about it because it's been so long. (that is a bit disappointing to hear but also a cute comment at the same time)
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Campion1

• Great Frith above!
  • Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Campion1
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:48:08 PM »
Same.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 11:48:27 PM »
It might be worth re-reading after the original is finished, but it's really not as good as the original.  There are even a few contradictions between the two books.

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 11:55:36 PM »
I'd like to reread it as well after the original since it's so vague in my mind. And I have only read it in Dutch before, not in English yet.

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 09:11:37 PM »
I love Rabscuttle
I was hoping that elahraira stories would be shown  (besides only hearing parts of them from Bluebell) multiple times in the series because I think they are an important aspect.
By the way how do you imagine Rabscuttle to look. I picture him to be tan in color with blue swirls.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 09:58:25 PM »
Couldn't think who he was for a moment there.  :hannah4

I'm not surprised he didn't. We didn't really even hear much about El-ahrairah as it is!
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Kili

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Kili
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 10:04:09 AM »
The problem is that they were quite limited in what they could put in the mini series due to screen time. They only had four hours, as opposed to a series that consists of 12 episodes. I've found that no matter how well done a series or film is, if it's an adaptation from a book there will always be something that is left out that fans like. I'm more bothered though when you have an important scene left out (like escaping from Efrafa on the boat) than a character from a story inside the story itself, missing out main characters (e.g. Dandelion) or giving too much screen time to a character that was unimportant in the books (e.g Clover.)

The El-Ahrairah stories are nice to read in the book, but I don't think they are really needed in film or tv adaptations.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 11:25:10 PM »
What I find weird is that the miniseries, despite leaving out the Efrafa boat scene and some other subplots, still found the time to add some extra scenes that never happened in the book, especially in episode 3.  Even the 1999 series, despite its extended running time, didn't get many El-ahrairah stories.

Although, it might have been difficult to make them fit in the main miniseries narrative without them seeming out of place...I remember someone (I think @Chibiscuit ?) suggested the possibility of a miniseries focusing exclusively on the El-ahrairah stories.