Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Strawberry  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Alderab

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Alderab
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • I speak:
Re: Strawberry
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 04:10:53 PM »
You're not the only one to have had trouble understanding it.  If the reader knows to look for this detail, her fate shouldn't be too hard to figure out, I think, but on the first reading, it can be easy to overlook.

Oh good, an entire thread confirming that I'm not alone in my illiteracy! :snowdrop2

I wonder that as well, if Nildro-hain's(my copy's spelling as well) demise was the last straw after a long list of grievances, or just one particularly bad one.  I don't remember anything from their previous conversations letting on that Strawberry was otherwise unhappy with the warren.

Her coming along would have probably made the otherwise dearth of does plain more sooner to the WSD rabbits.

You like writing?  I like writing!  Let's Write!

http://fhc.soopergrape.com/index.php?topic=2357.0

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 11:30:48 PM »
I don't remember anything from their previous conversations letting on that Strawberry was otherwise unhappy with the warren.
Neither do I.  In the 1999 series (which erases Nildro-hain from existence entirely), he did appear at least slightly unhappy before Bigwig was snared, but in the book, I can't remember anything like this.

Would he have left if Nildro-hain had died at another time, after Hazel and the others had left?
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Alderab

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Alderab
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 02:03:09 AM »
Would he have left if Nildro-hain had died at another time, after Hazel and the others had left?

He doesn't strike me as sure enough to leave on his own.  I think being able to leave with a group of others made the decision easier for him, hence why he was so eager to catch up with Hazel & Co. despite potential awkwardness.  Would his warren have reacted violently of one of their long standing members tried to leave?  They have been known to go feral...
You like writing?  I like writing!  Let's Write!

http://fhc.soopergrape.com/index.php?topic=2357.0