Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Which Watership Down character(s) is/are your favorite(s)?  (Read 8482 times)

Offline Felidae

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Felidae
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
Which Watership Down character(s) is/are your favorite(s)?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 05:39:21 PM »
Hyzenthlay is my cup of glory in the novel. Hazel and Bigwig along with Fiver have been my centers of interest as far as the action went, until they got to Efrafa. Honestly, I had sensed Hyzenthlay coming from miles away. She is a strong female character, I would go as far as to place her astonishing self among the strongest feminine instances in all literature (fictional or otherwise). She is a role model and the struggles she faces and all that she has to go through, the burdens she bears, the fear she fights are reasons to admire her; furthermore, the fact that, in spite of all these obstacles, she still harbors the strength to go against the odds make her, by far, one of the best characters out there.
She has that same ability to foresee as Fiver or Silverweed, yet she doesn't go to extremes. I would say that while Fiver is an optimist compared to Silverweed's dark and gloomy premonitions and takes on life, Hyzenthlay is somewhat placed in the middle - she would be the one who balances the visions of the other two. She senses things - not as clearly and vividly as Fiver and not as ominous or disastrous as Silverweed, but she overtakes the two by reading into signs. Her sixth sense is blurred by the difficulties she deals with daily, yet her spirit is still in connection with the superior stages of perception, strongly enough for her to know which way to go and what to do, what plan to fall in pace with and whom to trust.

She strikes me as a very good leader, as well. Hyzenthlay is persuasive and convincing. In Efrafa, Bigwig would not have gathered does and would not have succeeded in his mission without her help. She is an essential part of the victory of Hazel's group. Without the credibility of Hyzenthlay's stand and her encouragements and own determination, the entire Efrafan raid would have ended in disaster and even if Bigwig had somehow managed to escape alone and somehow made it along with Hazel and the others back to safety, there would have been little hope for their warren and future.

Hyzenthlay is a key-character in the entire story (whether we speak about the cinematographic production or the novel). She is a brave spirit and a substantially independent doe, which makes her character all the more surprising. She can stand for her beliefs and challenge her superiors in spite of the consequences and risks she knows she has to assume. What's more, she's able to embrace the unknown and the possibility of failure, punishment or even death in the name of freedom.
In spite of her fighting self, Hyzenthlay is a generous and kind soul. Her wish to break loose is not just her own and not for her own sake, but for that of as many does as possible. Another thing I like about her (and about the way the story was thought, for that matter), is that she doesn't waste time with those who do not wish to be helped. It is a statement on wisdom that so few come to understand.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:45:23 PM by Felidae »

Offline Keith

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Keith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 02:29:42 AM »
Quote from: Felidae on Feb 17 2012, 12:39:21 PM
Hyzenthlay is my cup of glory in the novel. Hazel and Bigwig along with Fiver have been my centers of interest as far as the action went, until they got to Efrafa. Honestly, I had sensed Hyzenthlay coming from miles away. She is a strong female character, I would go as far as to place her astonishing self among the strongest feminine instances in all literature (fictional or otherwise). She is a role model and the struggles she faces and all that she has to go through, the burdens she bears, the fear she fights are reasons to admire her; furthermore, the fact that, in spite of all these obstacles, she still harbors the strength to go against the odds make her, by far, one of the best characters out there.
She has that same ability to foresee as Fiver or Silverweed, yet she doesn't go to extremes. I would say that while Fiver is an optimist compared to Silverweed's dark and gloomy premonitions and takes on life, Hyzenthlay is somewhat placed in the middle - she would be the one who balances the visions of the other two. She senses things - not as clearly and vividly as Fiver and not as ominous or disastrous as Silverweed, but she overtakes the two by reading into signs. Her sixth sense is blurred by the difficulties she deals with daily, yet her spirit is still in connection with the superior stages of perception, strongly enough for her to know which way to go and what to do, what plan to fall in pace with and whom to trust.

She strikes me as a very good leader, as well. Hyzenthlay is persuasive and convincing. In Efrafa, Bigwig would not have gathered does and would not have succeeded in his mission without her help. She is an essential part of the victory of Hazel's group. Without the credibility of Hyzenthlay's stand and her encouragements and own determination, the entire Efrafan raid would have ended in disaster and even if Bigwig had somehow managed to escape alone and somehow made it along with Hazel and the others back to safety, there would have been little hope for their warren and future.

Hyzenthlay is a key-character in the entire story (whether we speak about the cinematographic production or the novel). She is a brave spirit and a substantially independent doe, which makes her character all the more surprising. She can stand for her beliefs and challenge her superiors in spite of the consequences and risks she knows she has to assume. What's more, she's able to embrace the unknown and the possibility of failure, punishment or even death in the name of freedom.
In spite of her fighting self, Hyzenthlay is a generous and kind soul. Her wish to break loose is not just her own and not for her own sake, but for that of as many does as possible. Another thing I like about her (and about the way the story was thought, for that matter), is that she doesn't waste time with those who do not wish to be helped. It is a statement on wisdom that so few come to understand.
If all the critics thought the way you do, we wouldn't have all these jerk-offs saying the book is sexist, a criticsm I find to be completely retarded.

As for Hyzenthlay herself, I can't say I'd agree with you 100%, but I still love the character a a lot, easily one of my favourites. I absolutely hated how they changed her name to Primrose in the series.
"Mercy is for Fools, the dead shall lie where I powned them!!"

Youtube Channel
My Tumblr
My Facebook
My Twitter
My Blog

Offline Kornblume

• Silver
    • Show only replies by Kornblume
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 10:01:38 PM »
Of course I like so many...but I gave my vote to Campion.
The other day when I was walking through the woods, I saw a rabbit standing in front of a candle making shadows of people on a tree.

Offline Skip

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Skip
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »
I like Dandelion because he knows alot of the El-Ahrairah stories which are really entertaining, though he dosn't have that much character that I can remember.Bigwig because he is the warrior and the fact that he starts to respect Hazel over the journey makes him more intresting, and Hazel because he's clever and a good leader which makes him a good choice for Cheif Rabbit.

Offline Amy Remorso

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Amy Remorso
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 10:24:42 PM »
i votet for
 hazel: for his leadership in book,series and film,i like that he always take care for his friends

Bigwig: hes such a brave rabbit and i like his fur-head
Hawkbit: he maked the series more funny
Woundwort: because hes the best antagonist ever and i love the way he looks in the first two parts of the series,his black fur combined with the red eye  !!! (yes,i know,my definition of a beautyfull rabbit is very special...)

Offline Bigwig

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Bigwig
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »
I chose:
Hazel - because, like many said, he was a great leader and also I think he was really nice to Fiver
Fiver - he was quiet and mild
Kehaar - he was hilarious and added a lot of fun to the story
Bigwig - he seemed to have a dry sense of humor and of course was very brave and daring, but also I think he had a softer side to him
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him will not persih, but have eternal life. John 3:16

Offline Queen Susan

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Queen Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 03:52:45 AM »
Fiver is my favorite! I don't know why, he's just the first that I liked.

Offline bumblebee

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by bumblebee
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 11:41:24 PM »
I put Fiver, Bigwig and Blackberry(buck), but one of my favourites was missing from the list. I love Bluebell, it's refreshing to see a bunny making jokes in such a scary world :P Plus he made it from Sandleford with a wounded Holly, you've got to give him credit for being so loyal.
"Hoi, hoi u embleer Hrair, M'saion ulé hraka vair."

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »
Bluebell would've been the real comic relief in the film or tv series if he was included.  You wouldn't need Keehar to be amusing or Hawkbit's dry wit.

Offline bumblebee

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by bumblebee
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 03:32:56 AM »
Aye, he would have been such a fun character for the series. It's a shame they didn't include him. Would have loved to have seen him interacting with Hawkbit and his sarcasm :P
"Hoi, hoi u embleer Hrair, M'saion ulé hraka vair."

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 03:48:07 PM »
Quote from: Quote:on 
Would have loved to have seen him interacting with Hawkbit and his sarcasm :P

I second that. :D
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Silverweed

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Silverweed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 12:22:59 AM »
El-ahrairah isn't on the list!

I wasn't sure who to vote for because there are good points about a lot of them.

I ended up voting for

Fiver : He's just such a great character with his seers sight and how he is often off in a world of his own. I like the fact that he is small in size, but mighty in deeds and that his insight is more than his visions, it's also just pure 'rabbit sense' (as opposed to common sense). He shows a much braver side in the series. I wasn't keen on all his visions being rhymes though. One of my fav. moments from the book is where he takes Hazel away from Bigwig and Hawkbits argument and just sits there silently, saying nothing and staring off towards the high hills. He could say so much with just by being quiet.

Bigwig: He's the key character in getting the does out of Efrafa and I love how in the original book, he refuses to call Hazel chief until the very end point where he tells Woundwort "My chief rabbit told me to defend this run" I hear they cut out the bit where he refused to call hazel chief in later editions. It was suppose to happen right after they crossed the heather and Dandelion refers  to Hazel as Hazel-rah for the first time. Bigwig said "That will be the day when I call you chief, I'll stop fighting that day" or something like that. Not sure why they chose to cut this line in latter editions.

Silverweed: I really loved the poem. Recited it once in a drama competition and won. I also find him a really interesting rabbit to draw, because he goes off into another world when he recites the poem and scares Fiver senseless. Sadly, I can also relate to him and his depression. In the series they give him the role of a mystic which I also can somewhat relate to. I like that he's a tragic figure, often used and abused. He really doesn't want to do the awful things he's told to, but see's no other way to survive. Then he finally gets free on the down only to meet a tragic end. I liked his character design in the series and his voice in season 3.

Offline Keeralie Starflight

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Keeralie Starflight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 08:06:22 PM »
I voted for:

Campion: He was one of the best characters in the TV series in my opinion, brave and true but with lots of emotions, so he seemed more. . .real?

Bigwig: 'Cause he's awesome and somewhat accidentally funny and I love his hair.

Silverweed: He was cute, for starters. And he cared about his friends.

Hawkbit: As has been said, I loved his dry humor.

Obviously, I am hopelessly addicted to the TV series.
"What would you give to save your friends? To save Watership Down?"

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 06:05:32 PM »
Captain Campion is my favorite character, not at least because of his appearance and fate (or call it mission) in season 3 of the tv series. And of course his feelings between Watership Down and General Woundwort.

Then General Woundwort because of his past. I think, it's really good done in the series.

Blackberry (doe). I liked her character very much in the tv series (more than the male one in the book and movie).

At last, I would say: Bigwig. He's strong, brave and fearless. But he also makes mistakes (when I remember in the series, when he was looking after Hannah and got attacked by an owl). And even, when he's bleating, he always wants the best for everyone.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:07:56 PM by Darkling Nocturnal »

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Indi-Rah

• Silver
    • Show only replies by Indi-Rah
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 07:36:21 PM »
Bigwig: I hold him as my most supreme favorite character. He's just great - he's brave, loyal, strong... But not capable of doing everything on his own. And I think the dynamics between him and all the others are what make me love him.

Bluebell: The original Series' Hawkbit. This guy was the one in the book with the dry, sarcastic humor. And he's one of only two survivors of the Sandleford Genocide, and kept the other alive, too.

Holly: I enjoyed his character because he was a lot like Campion. He was very brave and loyal, and clearly not evil - he was only antagonistic because it was his job.

Blackberry: I dunno, he reminded me of a male rabbit version of myself. xD He was the Smart Guy and worked behind the scenes.

Dandelion: Sometimes, I found myself enjoying listening to his stories just as good as the book itself. Though I didn't like Rowsby Woof much, however important it became...

Woundwort: The movie's Woundwort was a very imposing character, and really cool, in my opinion. Also, his voice actor did a really good job with him.

Hyzenthlay: I ship her with Bigwig, yes. But she was a really interesting character to me, a bit like Fiver. And her role in the movie was great - so was her actress! She did an excellent job!
"My chief rabbit told me to defend this run... And until he says otherwise, that's what I'll do."