Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Hyzenthlay ships  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Cowslip

• Rad Thorns
  • Silver
  • Oops! You stepped in a snare.
    • Show only replies by Cowslip
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
Re: Hyzenthlay ships
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 12:21:52 AM »
Yup.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 12:22:12 AM »
Writing romance is easy.  Writing convincing romance is very hard.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 12:24:06 AM »
Holly's potential as a good ship for Hyz for me is that if they had interacted more in Efrafa and formed a bond whilst Holly was there, then I could see it potentially being a good tragic ship. But Holly's stay in Efrafa is so brief and their interactions so sparse and factual that it fails to have the impact that I think they were going for.

I honestly find writing any romance hard^^ But I think that it is harder to write a convincing romance between two characters who meet for the first time during your narrative because then they obviously start from scratch. Going for love at first sight is often the easy route then but whilst I believe it does exist (my parents tell me it was the case for them too), it is hard to sell, especially these days.

You instantly fabricate a connection where before there was none when without love at first sight it would take time and devolpment for there to even be the beginnings of one.

On the other hand, if you write a romance between characters who knew each other before your narrative starts then you have the advantage that there is that connection from the get-go and you don't need to show it being formed. Childhood friends, for example, are very convenient for a writer and make it much easier to get away with showing limited scenes showing a forming bond. If they had established for example that Hyz had known Holly before and that they were friends then their meeting would take on a whole new dimension and even if they kept largely the same scenes, it becomes easier to get away with saying they loved each other without it seeming too sudden. It wouldn't be perfect or even necessarily great of course just easier.

Hammy, Holly's idea to make Hyzenthlay smile was in the end to just tell her how beautiful she is.
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 12:24:41 AM »
Hammy, Holly's idea to make Hyzenthlay smile was in the end to just tell her how beautiful she is.
I mean. I guess they're rabbits, you're kinda limited in terms of romantic gestures. But damn, Holly, that's kinda lame.

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 12:25:07 AM »
Honestly the look Hyz gives him made me think she thought it lame too but felt sorry for him so they lean into each other anyway.
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 12:25:29 AM »
"Welp, turns out my new boyfriend is a nerd. Oh well, won't last long."

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 12:25:45 AM »
She was not wrong.

Offline Carnation264

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Carnation264
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 12:26:07 AM »
Wow XD But I can understand that honestly, since I'm pretty iffy on the whole "love at first sight" sh*t as I never believed in it and always felt it was a bit too quick, like I never got it honestly but idk it could just be me really.
Too much art in paws
She/her, they/them, and any pronouns that isn't he/him and it/its.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2019, 12:26:40 AM »
That's a pretty interesitng analysis, Chib :)

You make some valid points that Hyzenthlay/Holly would have been more convincing if they had interacted more.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Kili

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Kili
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 08:49:26 PM »
Blackavar and Hyzenthlay.

Why? In the book, they knew each other in Efrafa and if the does had been allowed to leave Efrafa, he would most likely have gone with them. As Hyzenthlay finds being in Efrafa very stressful and can't live a normal life there doing what does do (digging, being able to produce a litter instead of having it absorbed into her body and not getting enough food), it seems natural that they would get together. With Blackavar not being a full Efrafan rabbit and having resentment put into him from his mother (as she was a Nutley Copse rabbit), and being discriminated against when he wants to join the Owsla, I can see him being quite sympathetic towards the plight of the does, and possessing a spirit of rebellion because of it. Their discontent would bring them together initially and their relationship grows from that. I'm also a bit of a sucker for stories where one part of the pairing is imprisoned/suffers and is made to be apart from the other.

The only other one I can see is her and Bigwig, but the tale of Hyzenthlay and Blackavar is stronger with them having been living together in Efrafa.