Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: [Song Discussion] On Watership Down (Folk Theme)  (Read 872 times)

Offline Claws

• Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
[Song Discussion] On Watership Down (Folk Theme)
« on: November 06, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
(Reviewed by Darkling Nocturnal on The High Lonely Hills).

A calm song, that can be heard from time to time in the series. Unavoidable you think of Kehaar, who's flying in the air during this melody. The song is rather decent and emphasizes the calm scenes in the series. Very nice to hear and really relaxing.

But then, this song raises with a pompous arrangement and again Mike Batt could caught in perfectly the atmosphere of Watership Down on CD. The middle part is calmer, only to raise again during the end, creating a phantastic atmosphere, that gives Watership Down an epic, where some other series can dream of. The song ends calm and creates an impressive picture of Watership Down in the listener's head.

4/4

----------------

Review by Hawkbit, founder of Fiver's Honeycomb:

4 – On Watership Down (Folk Theme) : I’ve seen all of the seasons of the show, and yet have heard this amazing piece only once—in the last episode of season three when all the rabbits decide to stay and save Watership Down from the advancing Woundwort. Granted there are snippets of the opening part with the oboe placed throughout the series, but the meat of this piece is the huge symphonic crescendo in the middle which gives the impression of accomplishing something great. What a shame to use that powerful music only once.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 11:20:14 PM by Silverweed's Claws »

Offline Minesweep

• E3 is coming up!!!
  • Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Minesweep
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
Re: [Song Discussion] On Watership Down (Folk Theme)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 06:02:38 AM »
To anyone who might know,

Is there a difference between the song "On Watership Down (Folk Theme)"
and the song "On Watership Down"?

During my research I have found numerous listings for cd's of the soundtrack that all have the song "On Watership Down (Folk Theme)" listed as a track
Examples:
https://www.amazon.com/Watership-Down-Mike-Batt/dp/B000055XBX
https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/294246562

But other than CD listings there only appears to be a song with the title of "On Watership Down"

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVxXEd74ELc&list=PLb50fPsk2OD7ZkQQVDJorHviDZok3Quea&index=2

Are there two different songs or was that just a simple name change?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

-Minesweep
“I wonder why progress looks so much like destruction.”- John Steinbeck
"We never thought the day would come and when it did everything changed" -Unknown
"Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is a nightmare." -Takemura

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 09:16:26 PM »
I think it's the same song.

There appear to have been two full releases of the soundtrack: one in the UK (the cover featuring everyone's shadows climbing the Down) and one in Germany (the cover can be seen on the Amazon link).  The two releases feature the same tracks, but with slightly different names, it seems.

That Amazon link does have a mistake though: it lists Angela Morley as the the composer.  She composed the soundtrack for the 1978 film, but not the 1999 series.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Minesweep

• E3 is coming up!!!
  • Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Minesweep
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 11:03:24 PM »
I think it's the same song.

That's what I was guessing I just wanted to be sure

There appear to have been two full releases of the soundtrack: one in the UK (the cover featuring everyone's shadows climbing the Down) and one in Germany (the cover can be seen on the Amazon link).  The two releases feature the same tracks, but with slightly different names, it seems.

That would make sense to have slightly different track names between releases in different countries.

That Amazon link does have a mistake though: it lists Angela Morley as the the composer.  She composed the soundtrack for the 1978 film, but not the 1999 series.

Good eye! I didn't even notice until you pointed that out. I wonder if amazon just got the soundtracks from the movie and the series all muddled up...
“I wonder why progress looks so much like destruction.”- John Steinbeck
"We never thought the day would come and when it did everything changed" -Unknown
"Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is a nightmare." -Takemura