Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Hi everyone!  (Read 561 times)

Offline Norma

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Norma
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
Hi everyone!
« on: February 14, 2020, 05:20:59 AM »
I was one of the kids who saw Watership Down the movie on VHS as a child, and was traumatized. My parents thought it was a film about rabbits and they had no idea. I was used to Disney movies that showed violence but no blood. The worst part for me was seeing Bigwig caught in the trap, with the wire tightening around his neck and the flies buzzing around him. Nevertheless, I was transfixed by the film and watched it over and over. I love the soundtrack too.

I discovered this forum when I was actually searching for a Watership Down forum. Found what I was looking for. Sometimes if you're lucky, there's always a website or topic for your interest, no matter how obscure.

Of course, I love other animated movies, like ones by Disney, Fox And the Hound, Lion King, 101 Dalmatians, and ones by Don Blue, Secret of Nimth, All Dogs Go To Heaven.

I should mention I've seen the Plague Dogs too and got it off Amazon.

One of my favorite cartoons is also invader zim. @CockatielPony
And I like other Nicktoons like Rugrats.

And monster collector shows such as Pokemon, Digimon, and Monster Rancher.
And magical girl series like Madoka magica and Sailor Moon.

My favorite book series are Dragonriders of Pern, Chronicles of Narnia, Goosebumps, Fear Street, Warrior Cats, Animorphs, The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld, and other obscure titles that I can't mention because no one has heard of them. If anyone has a beloved book series that they think no one else has heard of, share it with me, I'm looking for new titles to read besides Watership Down.

Offline Alderab

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Alderab
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • I speak:
Re: Hi everyone!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 05:38:43 AM »
Welcome Norma!  Glad you found the forum!  Especially if your in to role playing.  :D

The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld

Wow, it's been a while since I've heard someone else mention this series, this was one of my favorites growing up!  It's such a solid trilogy + 1, and it mixes in just the right amount of sci-fi both be mystical but not totally other worldly.

Have you ever read the Bartimaues Trilogy?  I recently finished it on recommendation of a friend, it was quite the good read.  It's based in an alternate history fantasy setting where magicians were responsible for governing the British Empire by working through demons, and it comes complete with a snarky demon narrator.   If your looking for lighter animal fare, Poppy is a great Newberry award series.
You like writing?  I like writing!  Let's Write!

http://fhc.soopergrape.com/index.php?topic=2357.0

Offline Norma

• Hlessi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 06:59:32 AM »
I love the technology in the Uglies series, I still wish we had hoverboards, nanos that could design the clothes we want, and computer rooms that we could decorate however we wanted. But, there is that creepiness of always being watched.

My favorite part of the story though, was the drama between Tally and Shay. I really wanted them to make up, and I was so hurt that Shay seemed to misunderstand everything about Tally, who was just lost and confused, and not as selfish as she thought.

I love Poppy, it's a great animal book, so much like Secret of NIMH, the animals have such personality, I wish more people had heard of it. I love the grumpy porcupine the owl is afraid of. I love Poppy's courage in challenging the owl. And finding out he's not as brave as she thought and he's afraid of porcupines. And everyone thinks Poppy has done something wrong, but it's the owl that's too blame.

But I haven't heard of Bartimaues Trilogy, maybe I'll give that a try. I love snarky narrators and stories with elements of magic in them.

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 11:33:14 AM »
Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb, Norma!  :vervaincarrot

That's a nice line-up of animated films - 101 Dalmations was my transfixed film when I was a kid. ^^

Dragonriders of Pern!! I love that series! Not obscure (I think?) but still this is the first time I've seen anyone mention it outside my family. Do you have a favourite book in that series? I also absolutely LOVE Warrior Cats. Have you read any other other Erin Hunter series? They're pretty good too. Except Bravelands which is phenomenal; I love it. It's been clocked as a TLK rip-off but it is far from that and, in my opinion, far superior.

The Wolf Chronicles by Dorothy Hearst seems very unknown but I found it amazing. It features wolves in prehistoric times and their relation to man as well. Foxcraft is good too, as is Podkin One-ear. Simple writing but very charming.

There is a thread for book recommendations that you can check out and by all means add your own! I'm always looking for good new reads as well. As I am sure many others are too.  :fiver

You've already discovered the RP section so go wild there!  :orchis3
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 08:18:05 PM »
Welcome my friend.
Glad to see another watership down fan on this site as well as a fan of Nickalodeon cartoons. I've made a few WD Gir characters if you'd like to use them for anything, go right ahead. https://imgur.com/a/8Ksriqh

Oh wow I started that thread a while ago.
There is a thread for book recommendations that you can check out and by all means add your own! I'm always looking for good new reads as well. As I am sure many others are too.  :fiver
Read a book called three bags full about a month ago that's interesting.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Norma

• Hlessi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 08:54:18 PM »
I saw those different versions of Gir. They are so cute. I was thinking of using one as my avatar but went with one from the show instead. I think they would go great with an invader fan character, they all have Gir clones, and nobody has done a bunny one yet. Can I use them on other sites? I am not sure where to put the credit though.

My favorite dragonriders of pern book is actually the original, Dragonflight, even though most people have told me it's boring and it's better to start with the Harper Hall Trilogy. I like that one because it has the scene of Lessa impressing the dragon.

The dragons on the cover are misleading, most books focuses more on politics and power struggles and daily life in a Medieval society than the actual dragons. I heard the dragon plays more of a speaking role in White Dragon.

I recently checked out the Dragonriders of Pern choose your own adventure novels called A Crossroads Adventure, and they were hard to obtain and overpriced, but I am enjoying them.

I'm going to add my own recommendations to the book thread.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 09:07:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum Norma! :clover

You mention some really interesting books and films in your first post.  I'll have to watch/reamost of these eventually, when time allows..
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 07:21:17 AM »
Yes you can go ahead and post them on other sites. Gir's will take over once again on the internet. I remember seeing a bunch of ponies as gir which gave me the idea to start a collection of WD characters. Didnt get too far though.

Never read Dragon rider but looking at the covers I believe my brother read the book years ago. I also hear there will be an animated film of Dragon rider coming out this year. Looks like this year will have quite a few animated dragon films including wish dragon and rays and the last dragon aswell.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 09:37:02 AM »
Welcome to the warren, Norma. :)
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 03:42:13 PM »
Welcome to the world of the bunnies of Watership down ^^   :hawkbit :pipkin
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Hoomandil

• Pipkin
  • OWWWWSLA! - Bigwig
    • Show only replies by Hoomandil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 06:06:02 AM »
Welcome to Fiver’s Honeycomb! I hope your stay in this warren will be a splendid one! :wave
Curious to find where I’m most active?
You can find me at the Gang of Five!
http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?action=profile;u=1224

Offline Hazel

• A wave in the ocean
  • Junior Owsla
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Hazel
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 10:11:25 PM »
Welcome to the Honeycomb! I hope you like it here :)
"People’s souls are like gardens. You can’t turn your back on someone because his garden’s full of weeds. You have to give him water and lots of sunshine."

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 04:25:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Norma! :)
Here lies a signature that has little point.