Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Noam Murro interview  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Noam Murro interview
« on: December 13, 2018, 07:17:01 PM »
https://lbbonline.com/news/noam-murros-seven-year-journey-to-watership-down/

He talks mostly about the process of making the miniseries.

Three interesting things:
-The miniseries' soundtrack will be released soon by Universal Music;
-The "Fire on Fire" music video will be released on 22 December
-This one is a spoiler.
Spoiler: ShowHide
“Nicholas [Hoult] reminded me of when we were trying to do the last scene, between Fiver and Hazel. I won’t give anything away but we were both crying for I don’t know how long, we just couldn’t pull it together.”
Hazel's death scene?
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
Re: Noam Murro interview
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:39:33 PM »
Quite an interesting article there. :)

Presumably the film was re-watched in the early stages of production as inspiration, but I wonder if anybody ever bothered to watch the series for an alternative take on the story? Think it was written off as too kiddie or that perhaps they hadn't even heard of it?
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:13:05 PM »
I notice that too meadow, I don't think I've read any articles about the miniseries that mentioned the 1999 series. When people do think about WD they may think about the violence in the movie or the book.

I wonder if the music video will be a mashup of clips of the series with Sam smith singing. I find it cool that he wanted to partake in the series. It makes me happy to see celebrities to enjoy the things I like thus it may be a ticket to getting more attention.
I do know Owl City is a fan of Watership Down. Adam Young did a cover of bright eyes a few years back. He used to be my favorite singer when I was around 10, and he's from Minnesota just like me. I would prefer if he was the one singing the end credits instead of Mr. Smith.

I do hope the miniseries brings an emotional impact to the audience.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 03:28:21 AM »
I notice that too meadow, I don't think I've read any articles about the miniseries that mentioned the 1999 series. When people do think about WD they may think about the violence in the movie or the book.

I wonder if the music video will be a mashup of clips of the series with Sam smith singing. I find it cool that he wanted to partake in the series. It makes me happy to see celebrities to enjoy the things I like thus it may be a ticket to getting more attention.
I do know Owl City is a fan of Watership Down. Adam Young did a cover of bright eyes a few years back. He used to be my favorite singer when I was around 10, and he's from Minnesota just like me. I would prefer if he was the one singing the end credits instead of Mr. Smith.

I do hope the miniseries brings an emotional impact to the audience.
Oh man, I'd kill to have Adam's rendition of Bright Eyes in any kind of WD adaptation. Love him, his voice, and his recent music on Cinematic.

And I'll go a step further and say most of what Adam's done is absolutely much better than this Fire on Fire crap they're passing off on us. I agree with the guy who called it warbling. I'll have to hear the full song, but man, it strikes me as some serious meaningless, unnecessary warbling so far.

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 10:18:06 PM »
At the moment I do not have time to read it, I'll have to leave it in favorites, there are things I want to read and do @ _ @      :silverweed2
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 06:21:56 PM »
I'm really not sure if anyone involved in the miniseries watched the 1999 series.  The fact that Hawkbit has an important role once again leads me to believe at least one person did.

That cover of Bright Eyes is pretty good.

And I'll go a step further and say most of what Adam's done is absolutely much better than this Fire on Fire crap they're passing off on us. I agree with the guy who called it warbling. I'll have to hear the full song, but man, it strikes me as some serious meaningless, unnecessary warbling so far.
According to that interview mentioned in the first post, the only reason the song exists is because Sam Smith wanted to compose something for the miniseries...

Several new articles and interviews have been released.

http://tvfeatures.bradfordzone.co.uk/2018/12/17/watership-down-an-introduction/
http://tvfeatures.bradfordzone.co.uk/2018/12/17/watership-down-an-interview-with-james-mcavoy-hazel/
http://tvfeatures.bradfordzone.co.uk/2018/12/17/watership-down-an-interview-with-nicholas-hoult-fiver/
http://tvfeatures.bradfordzone.co.uk/2018/12/17/watership-down-an-interview-with-gemma-arterton-clover/
http://tvfeatures.bradfordzone.co.uk/2018/12/17/watership-down-an-interview-with-john-boyega-bigwig/
http://tvfeatures.bradfordzone.co.uk/2018/12/17/watership-down-an-interview-with-freddie-fox-captain-holly/
http://tvfeatures.bradfordzone.co.uk/2018/12/17/watership-down-an-interview-with-noam-murro-director/

Honestly, they're not all worth reading.  Everyone is faced with nearly the same questions every time.  They talk a lot about how great the miniseries is, and whether they met any other members of the cast.  Only a handful of details from the plot are revealed.

One of the producers says that the Black Rabbit's gender was never stated in the book.  Except it was.  Like I already said, I personally don't mind the change, but this explanation is pretty lame.  Makes me wonder if they even read the book at all...

The Efrafan does will be singing a protest song, written and performed by Emili Sandé.  And I thought Fire on Fire was the only song we would have to deal with...hopefully this one will be better.

Fiver will be visiting Nuthanger Farm with Hazel.  But Fiver was opposed to the raid in the original version because he thought it was too dangerous!  Why change this?

It seems that Holly and Hyzenthlay will get shipped together.  That's horrifying.  Clover will also be getting a romantic subplot, but no indication who she will end up with (although, based on the trailer, I speculate Hazel).

I don't even know what I think anymore.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 11:00:38 PM »
Some of the interviews were quite interesting.
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 12:05:47 AM »

The Efrafan does will be singing a protest song, written and performed by Emili Sandé.  And I thought Fire on Fire was the only song we would have to deal with...hopefully this one will be better.
Wait... so there's rabbits singing, but why? And why pop singers? This kind of reminds me of Beasts of England, and song made up by the characters from the book Animal Farm. I do think Emili Sande is a lot better singer than Sam Smith (you have to admit he sounds like a girl), though I don't think either of their styles fit Watership Down's story. I hope  they don't try to make it a magical moment with a spotlight on a singing rabbit bursting out into song, but more of a background song.
If watership Down was a musical I imagine all of their songs would sound like Les Miserables.

My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 11:15:49 PM »
Wait... so there's rabbits singing, but why? And why pop singers? This kind of reminds me of Beasts of England, and song made up by the characters from the book Animal Farm. I do think Emili Sande is a lot better singer than Sam Smith (you have to admit he sounds like a girl), though I don't think either of their styles fit Watership Down's story. I hope  they don't try to make it a magical moment with a spotlight on a singing rabbit bursting out into song, but more of a background song.
If watership Down was a musical I imagine all of their songs would sound like Les Miserables.
You make a lot of valid points @CockatielPony.

This isn't even something like the Bright Eyes scene in the 1978 film; here it's actual singing rabbits.  I think that a Watership Down musical would be a good idea, but a single song coming out of nowhere could easily feel out of place.  Especially if they try to make this a "magical moment" of sorts.  I too hope it will be a background song, but sadly I don't think that will be the case :(

A new interview has been released.
http://dramaquarterly.com/down-the-rabbit-hole/
This one features Noam Murro (director), Tom Bidwell (screenwriter), Rory Aitken (executive producer), Matthew Read (former BBC drama commissioning editor) and Larry Tanz (VP of global originals at Netflix).

This interview does not contain any spoilers; instead it is more about the behind-the-scenes work that allowed the miniseries to happen.

Here are some highlights:
  • Netflix initially approved the series before they were available worldwide.
  • Tom Bidwell read the original book.  Matthew Read saw the film a dozen times in the 1970s, and also read the book.
  • Tom Bidwell says there weren't many changes apart from reducing the number of characters and addming more female ones.
  • Tom Bidwell says that if "[he] added something to the script that wasn’t in the novels and people think they remember that from the book, that’s the win of adaptation for [him]".  That doesn't convince me.
  • There are no deleted scenes.
  • Two scenes were animated every week.
  • While the rabbits are CGI, the backgrounds are paintings.  It's the only way they could have pulled it off with the budget.
  • They admit that the rabbits all look the same, but they say it's not a problem because of the voices.
  • Rory Aitken says that "rabbits’ eyes are on the sides of their heads, and if you bring them too far to the front, they start to look like dogs or weird animals. In drama, you find emotion in characters mostly through the eyes, but rabbits’ real eyes are completely black. They don’t have pupils, so in almost any animation with animals, you get human eyes because that’s how we understand eye line and emotion".  BUT IT STILL LOOKS HORRIBLE YOU KNOW?
  • Federico Jusid's score is 1000 pages long and was written in three months.
  • There are at least 10 different dubs, including Italian and Spanish.  @Leo-rah also said a German dub is available, @Chibiscuit saw Dutch and French ones, and @Varjokani reported a Finnish version on Twitter.
  • The miniseries is the first primetime animated drama on TV, and they hope the success of the miniseries will inspire more such series.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 11:28:23 PM by Chipster-roo »

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 12:04:58 AM »
So I was reading an interview with the series director and he described being at the New York Museum of Natural History and being really inspired by the dioramas there. And I'm just like, "Oh. So that's why the backgrounds look kinda weird and flat."

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 12:05:20 AM »
The backgrounds are flat.  I think one of the producers said in an interview that they are 2D paintings because that's all the budget allowed.

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 12:05:46 AM »
Yeah, that'll do it. Which suggests to me that something else was eating the inflated budget.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 12:06:12 AM »
The celebrity cast.

Offline Crackers

• Junior Owsla
  • Hawkbit
  • TICK TOCK ON THE BIG CLOCK!
    • Show only replies by Crackers
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 12:06:51 AM »
Sam Smith and his icky song?? I mean what - yes - Definitely the great cast
Kitties are shaped like friends ~ A close friend

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 12:07:36 AM »
The celebrity cast.
Ye.

Sam Smith and his icky song?? I mean what - yes - Definitely the great cast
God, I hope they didn't spend much on the song. It's like something Sam Smith wrote for an album, and just handed to them off-hand. It's alright, but it ain't Watership Down, or this miniseries.

Cha-ching.