Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: WSD Mini-Series-How was it?  (Read 2031 times)

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
Re: WSD Mini-Series-How was it?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2019, 06:42:02 PM »
Some interesting and thorough reviews there! :D
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2019, 01:45:17 AM »
Yesterday I was at home sick. My advisor knows that I love watership down with a pasion, so jokingly when I came into the our advisory room today he said, "Carolyn you missed it! Yesterday we had a deep discussion analysing Watership Down. It was the best thing ever."
haha that's a lie you can't have a bunny discussion without me!

Anyway my teacher also said he watched the first two episodes of the series so far and is really enjoying it.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Kili

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Kili
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2019, 11:46:20 PM »
I managed to catch this recently, and over all, I enjoyed it. I liked it better than the cartoon, but I can't really say for certain if I like it better than the film or not, as there are aspects about this series that I didn't like. (When compared to the film, though, I guess what really is the film's biggest weakness is the running time of it - having to squeeze a lot of things in that when compared to the book, it seems rushed.)

Aesthetics wise, I like it, mostly. I think they did a good job with the scenery and backgrounds and some of the scenes (particularly the scene at the church) are very well done. I like the atmosphere that they conjure. I know that most people think that the film is scarier, but as I watched the film today, I didn't find it all that bad. There's a lot of violence in it, sure, but when compared to the miniseries, I find the miniseries to be scarier. The gothic atmosphere of the church scene, the bleakness of Efrafa and the oppression of the does and the marking scene are parts that stand out to me in this sense. (There's quite a lot of manipulative psychology inflicted on the does in Efrafa and that I think is worse than the violent scenes we see in the film.) In all, I think the miniseries is darker in tone, and as the producers had more running time to play with, these scenes seem to last longer. (I don't mind this, though. It's probably one of the things I like about it.)

Now, what don't I like? As people have already mentioned - the way Clover is portrayed, and the importance given to the character over Hyzenthley, and taking over Fiver's role after Hazel's been shot in finding him. Holly and some of the rabbits going to Efrafa without Hazel's knowledge doesn't make much sense, and neither does the 'knowledge' of Efrafa's existence before Keehar discovers it as it's done in the book. The kidnapping plot is rather unnecessary and overshadows the rest of the miniseries too much. I can't help but think that the expansion of Clover's role in the miniseries is an attempt at giving a bigger role to a female character that what we get in the book, but this role could have been filled by Hyzenthley - if there was some need to have a strong female character in the miniseries adaptation it could have focused on her and Thethuthinnang's struggle to get permission to leave the warren instead and it would have been a more interesting storyline (and more faithful to the book.)

The ploy Bigwig uses to get into Efrafa doesn't really fit into his character, and I find that in comparison to the book, Bigwig's time in Efrafa is weak. (This happens in the film too, and I find that the way it's done in the book it's more intense - when I first read the book as a teenager, I found reading it that I felt a lot of tension and nervousness as the rabbits themselves might have felt - I don't get that in the film - it's glossed over too much, and the cartoon's portrayal of it is the weakest of all the adaptations. The miniseries' portrayal of Efrafa is bleaker and probably the best out of all the adaptations aside from the book, but I would have preferred it have been closer to what we get in the book than we get in the miniseries.

Missing the boat from the escape is one of the worst omissions in the miniseries because I consider it to be one of the most important events in the book. As the cartoon missed out the beginning of the book, missing the boat escape is the miniseries' equivalent of it.

To a lesser extent I'm not that keen on the romances in the miniseries. I don't see them as all that relevant and perhaps part of the problem of Clover having more screen time than she should have done.

I think causal viewers of the series would have enjoyed it as it is, but if you know the book, it lessens your enjoyment of it because all you do is notice the 'mistakes' and deviations from it.

One final thing which I didn't like was the difficulty in telling the rabbits apart. Some where easy (like Bigwig) but others not so. More should have been done to make them stand out from each other rather than trying to get them to look as realistic as possible. You need to be able to follow it easily.