Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: How do you feel about Kickass Torrents being shut down?  (Read 260 times)

Offline Claws

• Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
How do you feel about Kickass Torrents being shut down?
« on: July 23, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »

I honestly feel AWFUL about it... and for more than a couple of reasons.

I used to be really addicted to that site because it was FULL of people who worked really hard to get releases of, well, everything out as fast as humanly possible. This was especially notorious when it came to cartoons like The Loud House (good luck finding the new episodes on cartoon sites... they mostly take their sweet time and the releases aren't nearly as good) and some movies which were hard to find or were offered in the most ridiculous formats. But even if that wasn't the case, the files looked like a lot more effort when into them and the presentation was nicer and nicer when it came to downloading shit: covers, text files explaining the details, extras... and -of course- virus-free content were some of the stuff that made the site stand out amongst its equals.

The community felt great too. And while I never actually paid them a visit, the forums seemed like the kind of place you would want to belong to. The "last forum threads" feed on the right was always changing and the topics looked fun and interesting to look at, not the kind of stuff you would actually expect to see on a piracy site. It kind of breaks my heart to know that it is all gone, now that I will never get a chance to be there, even a guest. I bet I was going to have fun.

But my biggest complaint about having the site gone is... this whole damn witch hunt.

Look, I realize that piracy is a crime and that it SHOULD be punishable, but this is taking everything a step too far. It happened with MegaUpload and it kind of made sense because they were allowing people to upload piracy directly into their site with no extra care on the matter, but we have come a long way since and I thought that these days were over. Now cartoon pages and other such sites have the actual content uploaded elsewhere (mostly third-party flash players) and they only, casually, link you to them thru their sites. Good luck suing them now that they have that disclaimer pasted all over their layouts.

With torrent sites that's a little bit more difficult to pull off because the files exist within the same site, but I still thought that we were safe due to the liability going to the users who uploaded the torrents rather than to the actual site (which DID encourage it thru its forums, but never blatantly so).

KickAss Torrents wasn't exactly small and it managed to hold off better than pretty much anyone else, so its sudden disappearance comes off as more of a warning than anything else. If this continues, we would be soon back to the stone digital age, where finding something you liked newer than ten years old would become a treasure hunt. And I'm not even trying to exaggerate, that's how I honestly feel about the whole thing.

Oh, and the four or five "replica" sites that came out in the last few hours are mostly fake (except the one which depends on IsoHunt, but that's quite buggy and also feels incomplete).

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 08:27:15 PM »
I didn't know about it before I read about it here...

Bummer!

I used the site a few times, although I didn't have an account.

I understand that some people want to stop online "piracy", but shutting down sites like this is going too far.

I hope a decent mirror will turn up.  Even the onion address is down...
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Bright Side

• Brighty
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Bright Side
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 12:09:57 PM »
Is it just me, or can people get a bit too stingy with their copyright? I mean, I wouldn't know; I haven't researched it. But that's a vibe I'm getting.
Thank you to Chipster-roo for the avatar!

Offline Hazel

• A wave in the ocean
  • Junior Owsla
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Hazel
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 03:17:51 PM »
I'm upset. I get a lot from there. I'm the type of person who loves owning physical/official copies, so it's never a danger of me not investing either! :(
"People’s souls are like gardens. You can’t turn your back on someone because his garden’s full of weeds. You have to give him water and lots of sunshine."