Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Watership Down > 1972 - The Novel

Favorite scene in the book

(1/3) > >>

CockatielPony:
What is everyone's favorite scene in the book that didn't appear in the movies, series or miniseries. If you can remember what chapter and page the scene is in that would be amazing. I have a fun idea for a project I might like to try out in the future.

A few scenes that sticks in my mind I adore is lazy bluebell wanting to be a slug, chapter 20 hazel saves the mouse, and chapter 40 when hazel and his crew heading back to watership campion and a small team of rabbits approach hazel and ask him to return the efrafins hazel refuses and tells him that his small band of rabbits is no match to the number of rabbits on his side.

Also all the el-ahrairah stories are excellent.

Alderab:
Apart from various clever lines that didn't make it into any of the adaptions like Hazel's boast that he needs to go down to Nuthanger Farm just to prove the ole' chief can still do a thing or two, I really liked the extended river escape scene.  I don't have the book with me so I can't grab the chapter, but the whole scene with the bridge was especially tense.  The drama of one of their number getting injured on the underside of the bridge, and then the great uncertainty of the rabbits deciding whether to trust Kehaar in swimming blindly into the culverts is really good.  I like how its written with the reader having the rabbit's limited information, unlike Kehaar's perfect information of knowing they will be safe if they swim through.  Just very well written.

Chibiscuit:

--- Quote from: Alderab on March 15, 2020, 04:31:39 AM ---Apart from various clever lines that didn't make it into any of the adaptions like Hazel's boast that he needs to go down to Nuthanger Farm just to prove the ole' chief can still do a thing or two, I really liked the extended river escape scene.  I don't have the book with me so I can't grab the chapter, but the whole scene with the bridge was especially tense.  The drama of one of their number getting injured on the underside of the bridge, and then the great uncertainty of the rabbits deciding whether to trust Kehaar in swimming blindly into the culverts is really good.  I like how its written with the reader having the rabbit's limited information, unlike Kehaar's perfect information of knowing they will be safe if they swim through.  Just very well written.

--- End quote ---
That would be chapter 39 The Bridges. And yes - I agree wholeheartedly. That chapter is brilliantly written. Coincidentally, I only recently covered it here so I won't repeat what I said there.

In general I love every passage where he describes the stress, despair, panic, etc. of the rabbits. The bridges is a prime example; but so is the scene early in the book when they enter the woods. You can just feel their discomfort with them. Adams is very good at evoking these emotions, I think.

There is also the description in Efrafa about the paranoia Bigwig experiences at having to keep a conspiracy hidden. So good that. And Bigwig owning his Perfect Storm. (chapter 37)

The entirety of El-ahrairah and Brofi (chapter 31) is AMAZING. A few highlights and quotes here

And many more that slip my mind for the moment.

CockatielPony:
It is a shame that the miniseries ditched the whole boat scene cause it truly is iconic plush what's whatship down with out the water ship.

Another scene I thought of was the beginning of chapter 2 what fiver has a nightmare of him and hazel ridding down their boat of bones and wire. I guess it's too spooky for any of the adaptions to put in there.

For El-Ahrairah to Cry Chapter 21 is a very sad chapter but is rapped up so quickly in the adaptions. I think it might have been toadflax this happened to, but the scene when a rabbit pokes his head out of the hole to see what's going on than gets shot than picked up at hit saddens me even though he was probably too intoxicated to feel anything.

Chipster-roo:
The boat escape being removed from the miniseries was a really bad decision :blackberryminiseries However, the mentions of the chapter "The Bridges" rather surprise me.  I remember hating it the last time I read it.  I'm mostly satisfied with what the film did, cutting to Kehaar's departure after the boat drifts away :kehaar

I agree about the mentions of chapters 2, 21, 31 and 37 though.

Now, for some other scenes that haven't been mentioned so far.  There's Hazel's nightmare at Cowslip's warren (beginning of chapter 17); it was in the radio drama, but never appeared in any of the animations :strawberrydoe

Also, Hyzenthlay's vision of the final battle near the end of chapter 35, as well as her reaction at the end of chapter 49 after it has taken place.  Once again, this was in the radio drama but never animated :hyzenthlay2

Finally, Fiver and the others crossing the bridge (chapter 33); most of the adaptations included such a scene but completely rushed through it, missing Hazel's comment about how Fiver just loves crossing bridges :fiver3

There may be more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version