Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Chapters 6-10 Discussion (August 6-August 12)  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: Chapters 6-10 Discussion (August 6-August 12)
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 08:37:02 PM »
It's nice to see you both caught up :frith

I like how Hawkbit really analyzed the characters of Bigwig and Hazel; there were some really interesting ideas there :)

It partially gives inspiration to the TV series as it explains that rabbits were not always enemies with the elil: they did use to be friends, and it could explain why the rabbits were able to befriend things like a hawk, a mouse, all the different squirrels and hedgehogs--something that certainly was not evident in the book nor the film adaptation.
I hadn't noticed that either.  This could possibly be a good explanation for this :) (I still think that having a hawk friend is taking this too far though :skree)

If you watch the film, Hazel seems to pick up on the floating wood, but here in the book, he doesn't totally get it.  Only Fiver does.
I have to say that I prefer the book version for this.  It makes more sense, I think for Fiver to understand the trick, with his visions and everything.  Hazel has some skills, but science isn't one of them.

I was actually a bit surprised at how hard Hazel doesn't get it. Instead he thinks Blackberry (whom he acknowledges as the cleverest rabbit) has gone barking mad...!
I think that, as Hazel gets to know Blackberry better over the course of the book, he realizes that Blackberry understand things that nobody else does.

It's crossing they're not going to fancy, unless something frightens them into it.
Hazel's got a small knack at foresight as well it seems. :hazel2 :duster
Hadn't really noticed that.

Does that mean they forgot how they all got across as soon as it had happened? Even Pipkin, who had been on the raft? That seems a bit weird.
(This actually reminds me of schoolwork where you remember things much easier when you understand them)
I always kinda thought that they forgot about it because they didn't understand what had happened, so there wasn't much to remember, and either way they had more important things to worry about at the moment.

Blackberry giving himself a pat on the back.
 :blackberry-buck I have to admit that my idea was brilliant!
Blackberry's female self said something like that in the series :blackberry3

Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him. He would go himself and bring back some news before they even knew that he had gone. That would give Bigwig something to bite on.
More importantly, he wants to show up Bigwig.
This kinda reminds me of the Nuthanger Farm raid.  If I remember correctly, Hazel decided to do that so that, when Holly would return with the Efrafan does (nobody expected Woundwort...), Hazel would also have accomplished something important and Holly wouldn't get all the glory.

As Hawkbit mentioned, there's clear evidence of Hazel not being a flawless born leader from the start (despite already having shown his talent as one) and I actually prefer this portrayal.
Me too :hazel2

I wish we'd gotten more Lapiné sentences already but I look forward to more.
As far as I can remember, there are only two others, including the (in)famous "silflay hraka" :woundwort :bigwig It would have nice if there had been more though...

I think he meant that the thorn was so big that it looked like one of the posts holding up a notice board? So if they collected some more they could put up a notice board of their own?
That would make sense; thanks for explaining :)

I hope this all makes sense, I'm rather tired...
I'll be reading chapter 10 later this afternoon :)
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 01:14:04 AM »
So...chapter 10.

In the film, the whole scene involving the gunshot and what follows seems to have been reduced to...the gunshot.  Nothing else.  I have to say, though, that I'm not really surprised that Hawkbit is the last one to rejoin the group afterwards :hawkbit3

The scene with the road is also rather nice, and provides an interesting glimpse in the way the rabbits see human realities.

"Yes, or course.  The yonil always hunt by night.  If you see them by day, they're dying."
That's one thing the series liked to ignore... :yona

The rabbits briefly visit Newtown Churchyard.  In the film, this is where the rat fight takes place.  But in the book, they just briefly cross it, that's about it.

And finally, there's "the bland trio"'s revolt (I like that name Hawkbit (the human :D)came up with).
Why don't you get washed, Hwkbit?  You look like the end of a rat's tail left in a trap.
*is slightly disappointed Bigwig never said that in the TV series*

But anyway, while Bigwig is busy insulting those three, Fiver leads Hazel away, and sees the hills.  There is a bit of foreshadowing for Cowslip's warren; quite fascinating.

Fiver started.  "What was I saying, Hazel?" he asked.  "I'm afraid I can't remember.  I meant to tell you-"
"Never mind," answered Hazel.
I do have to wonder: if Fiver didn't intend to tell Hazel about the hills, he just had a vision, what did he want to ask his brother? :glowingfiver

'How's the paw?' said Hazel. Pipkin put it to the ground. Then he stood on it.
'It feels much better,' he said. 'I think I shall be able to go as well as the others now. They won't leave me behind, will they?'
Hazel's rubbed his nose behind Pipkin's ear. 'No one's going to leave anyone else behind,' he said. 'If you had to stay, I'd stay with you. But don't pick up any more thorns, Hlao-roo, because we may have to go a long way.'
I thought this passage was really cute.  :pipkin
Me too :pipkin

The wind [...] was reassuring, carrying only the scents of evening dew, may and cow-dung.
Ah yes nothing more reassuring than the smell of cow-dung! :frith
...uh...right... :pipkin-oh But then, I suppose rabbits would be more tolerant of such smells than humans :hedge

Lastly, we get a glimpse at some more Lapiné. With hrududu being a tractor or any other motorized vehicle (mentioned last chapter) and a yona being hedgehog. Then they talk of hurudil and yonil so I assume the suffix -il is to indicate plural. Like in elil as well (though I hadn't noticed it then :pipkin2).
I don't think the singular form of "elil" was ever used.  I'm kinda thinking it might be "ela", considering El-ahrairah's name.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 07:40:18 PM »
@Chipster-roo Ela for singular would indeed make sense if you look at El-ahrairah. It does make the position of the - odd but other than that:
El-ahrairah consists of
-rah : Chief, Prince
hrair: five or higher, a lot or a thousand
ela: enemy
=> Prince of a Thousand Enemies
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab