Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Chapters 36-38 Discussion (February 4-February 11)  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Chapters 36-38 Discussion (February 4-February 11)
« on: February 03, 2019, 09:47:26 AM »
 :bigwig Thunder! Discuss the thunder!
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: Chapters 36-38 Discussion (February 4-February 11)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 09:27:25 AM »
I found my book and notes again! ...yes I had lost them both... or rather I had placed them somewhere when I cleaned the room and couldn't remember where.  :vervain-facepalm
*ahum* anyway, they have been found so...

...here is chapter 36!  :bigwig3

At the very start of chapter Bigwig wakes up and finds Avens waiting in his burrow. I wonder exactly how long he had been waiting there....?  :snowdrop2

Chervil refers to Hyzenthlay as the marli tharn - translated in a note as the forlorn one. I don't know why but I really like this. It(s an interesting word combination.

Bigwig calling Hyzenthlay and co 'the awkward squad' made me laugh. :bigwig3  :hyzenthlay2 :thethuthinnang :nettle

'Meester Pluebell, 'e say to pring one mudder for everyone else and two for 'im.' Bigwig was trying to think of some appropriate reply to this[...]
I love that Bigwig is actually trying reply to this^^
 :bigwig3 'Tell him the buck who chases two does get none at all :bigwig3.'
oh well he's got Captain Holly  :holly :bluebell

Quote from: Chervil about Kehaar
They sometimes attack mice, you know.
:hannah2  :kehaar  :hannah3

Chervil got up with a sulky air.
Chervil why are you so cute  :frustrated

Quote from: Bigwig
Look, there's Avens bringing in the sentries-we'll have to go.
I thought the sentries were suppossed to be the last to go back under? But at least  :hyzenthlay2 and  :thethuthinnang are still above ground and he's already bringing in the sentries?? You had one job, Avens, one job...!

Quote from: General Woundwort (to Bigwig)
Just come back under the bushes, will you?
...does Woundwort want to perform a fusion dance with Bigwig...? :woundwort :bigwig2
(I was gonna link to an event from a Dragonball game where Vegeta doesn't want to be seen doing the dance and asks Goku to join him in the bushes but I can't find it... :fiver3)
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 10:46:47 AM »
Chapter 37 :bigwig2

Quote from: Woundwort
Mallow wasn't the rabbit to run on to a fox. Foxes aren't dangerous[...]
Foxes aren't dangerous? And yet they are the only creature Woundwort refuses to fight!
(also I like how Woundwort kinda defends Mallow here)

'[...]I may have trying to make an impression on Captain Chervil.'
[ :woundwort3]'Well, you could have a worse reason.'
Took the words right out of my mouth, Woundwort!  :hannah4

'Hazel,' said Fiver. 'Hazel-rah, [...]
Another example of Fiver taking charge whilst not leading. Repeating Hazel's name with the -rah suffix is an instant reminder to Hazel that he is Chief and that he should act like one. Fiver knows his brother so well and masterly pulls him back in line. Such a smart and good bun  :fiver

'Hazel-rah,' said Pipkin, as he slipped by, 'it- it is going to be all right, isn't it? Bigwig will come tomorrow, won't he?'
'Of course he will,' said Hazel, 'and we'll all be here to help him. And I'll tell you something else, Hlao-roo. If he doesn't come tomorrow, I'm going into Efrafa myself.'
'I'll come with you, Hazel-rah,' said Pipkin.
Another cute  :hazel2 :pipkin moment. Seriously, can we get an adaptation that portrays this amazing relationship to its fullest, please?

I really like the description of Bigwig's fear and paranoia concerning his secrets being leaked. Very nicely done.

Quote from: Not-Bartsia
Oh, let him have it, Bartsia. There's no one to see. It's hard enough for everyone on a day like this, let alone the prisoner.
That's quite nice for an Owslafa guard. :silver

Bigwig's plan for contacting Kehaar is smart and shows his quick thinking. If only Blackberry knew! :blackberry-buck
 I love how, despite, Chervil clearly being sceptical, Bigwig does get him perform a silly dance. If only Cowslip knew! :cowslip
 And then afterwards Chervil is worried about how silly he looked.^^

Quote from: Bartsia
[...]that's the third time, sir, that you've disregarded my authority. Council police can't be treated in this way. I'm afraid I shall have to report it, sir.
All I hear is a childish "I'm telling!" accompanied by an angry pout...

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »
Chapter 38  :orchis2

Quote from: Hazel
'If Bigwig doesn't come tonight,' he said, 'I shall go and find him, wherever he is.[...]'
That's cute and just like he promised Pipkin earlier. :hazel2

'You know, Hazel-rah,' said Bluebell, 'this really is the funniest evening I've ever gone looking for a doe.'
  :hannah4

Chervil is pretty smart and perspective. He guesses correctly that there is a break-out plan after the Council police come to arrest Nelthilta.

Bigwig gave the guard a tremendous cuff on the side of the head, which knocked him clear across the run and into the prisoner's alcove.
Wow that is one powerful slap there, Bigwig! :bigwig

I like the description of the storm and how that storm's energy is in the air. And then Bigwig's frenzied thoughts about how this was his storm. Very nice imagery.

'Let her alone, Vervain,' he added, 'She can't talk if you keep cuffing her, you fool.'
Vervain, please. I bet they never let him interrogate someone alone. They wouldn't get much information that way. Series!Vervain is disappointed in you  :vervain

'What do you know about a bird?', said Woundwort, turning to Chervil.
'I reported it, sir,' replied Chervil. 'You'll not forget, sir, that I reported the bird-'
By Frith I love Chervil  :orchis4

[...]a heavy, savage-looking rabbit whom he guessed to be Vervain, the. head of the Council police
It is so difficult for me to imagine him like that. Just so difficult. Miniseries!Vervain comes closest I guess. But still, all I see is:  :vervaincarrot

'You dirt little beast'
  :woundwort2
I-I don't know why this amuses me but the thought of Woundwort saying this gives me such a silly image in my head.

Okay, then everything becomes chaos as Kehaar attacks, and in themidst of that chaos Silver suddenly shows up and says,
:silver 'Hullo, Bigwig.'
So ridiculously calm. I love it. He then asks Bigwig what he wants him to do and calmly answers his question about Hazel's whereabouts. And then,
:silver 'I say, you're wounded!'
I just- I love Silver.

Silver has set up several rabbits along the way to the boat and they start heading for the first one: Blackberry. Blackberry is terrified, he says so himself, and yet when they arrive...
:blackberry-buck 'Was it very bad? Good heavens, you shoulder-'
He finds the time to make conversation and remark on Bigwig' shoulder. He is shivering (probably due to the rain more than anything) but the impression I get from him overall in this scene is that he's ridiculously calm and composed. Emphasized even more by the others' panic. I just love it. And I've said it countless times before but by Frith I LOVE Blackberry. <3

Quote from: Bluebell
[...]'One of them was the biggest rabbit I've ever seen.'
A line that made it into the miniseries!  :bluebell
Also again love Silver's calm reply of "Then don't stay here."

Something I really loved was Bigwig's analyssis of Woundwort's actions after Kehaar's attack. How he kept order and reorganized his officers, laid a trap and immidiately adjusted that trap when he noticed his enemy wasn't going the way he expected. All leading Bigwig to conclude,
Bigwig began to understand why Woundwort's officers followed him and fought for him as they did.
It  is again a nuance that is severely missing from other adaptations. I like it a lot.

Also
Quote from: Bigwig(about Woundwort)
'He's not like a rabbit at all.'
and
Looking back the last thing Bigwig saw was the face of General Woundwort staring out of the gap in the willowherb where the boat had lain. It reminded him of the kestrel on Watership Down, which had pounced into the mouth of the hole and missed the mouse.
Bigwig basically compares Woundwort to something very un-rabbit-like. basically to elil. It's a bit more subtle but Miniseries!Woundwort's "We are the elil" isn't baseless. (I thought it was rather fitting before but this convinced me just the more)