Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Chapters 39-42 Discussion  (Read 983 times)

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Chapters 39-42 Discussion
« on: March 14, 2019, 06:57:19 PM »
Discuss! :duster
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: Chapters 39-42 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 12:09:16 PM »
It is now 2020... but yes I refuse to let this die before I have said at least one thing about every chapter. I am committed now, by Frith!

Ahem

Chapter 39  :katerina

'Our children's children will hear a good story,' answered Hazel, quoting a rabbit proverb.
Okay, first off, I thought he literally meant their kits at first.
Secondly, what a proverb this is! It reminds me of an interview with someone who said that when he thought his plane was gonna crash or something that he just thought, "well at least I'll die an anecdote for my children to tell" (or something along the lines, can't remember the exact context)
Or, in this case, I guess it means, do something dangerous because if you get the a (the)great(est) story (ever) out of it, it'll be worth it!  :dandelion

Quote from: Bigwig
A dirty little beast like Hufsa
Seems that Woundwort was a trendsetter! Let's all go call people we dislike that now.  :woundwort3

Dandelion, crouching beside Hazel, got up at the mention of 'clever rabbits', made his way across the puddled floor and returned with Blackberry and Fiver.
I thought Dandelion had nominated himself as a 'clever rabbit' at first  :blackberryminiseries

I always imagined the bridge over the river to be arched, probably because of the series, but it is an explicit point in the book that the bridges are not arched at all. I wonder what it would be like if we got an adaptation that showed the boat escape in its full length? I know I would be interested in seeing it but I can imagine it might be too drawn-out for some.

The rabbit who had fallen on him was Acorn
These acorns and their falling on rabbits at inopportune moments!

At that point the boat is stopped by a second bridge but the rabbits can't get off. Blackberry has no idea what to do; Hazel is at wits' end. Kehaar is losing his patience and assures them 'Ees goot - you get out fine' and then we have this long, interesting passage of Hazel contemplating what Kehaar means by that. Has he considered they are rabbits? Is it just fine for a gull? And so on. I quite like this part.

In the end, Kehaar get fed up with them and shows them how it's done. Blackberry is still not convinced and says it proves nothing. Then,
The sight of Bigwig - Bigwig of all rabbits - at the end of his tether, half-unconscious, playing no part in this desperate exploit, lowered his courage still more. He knew that he had not got it in him to jump into the water. The horrible situation was beyond him. He stumbled on the slippery planking and as he sat up found Fiver beside him.
'I'll go, Hazel,' said Fiver quietly. 'I think it'll be all right.'
I can't begin to explain how much I love this, let alone exactly why, but consider this an attempt. You have utterly desperate situation that is build up over several pages. After all they've been through, they get stuck here, on their own escape bat no less, the shore so close yet so far. Even the bravest of rabbits cannot bring the courage to move, nor the cleverest think of a trick. Hazel is at wits' end and then through that dark cloud, Fiver calmly comes up to him -Hazel finds him beside him, of course he does, Fiver will always stand beside him- and softly tells him he'll go.
It completely breaks the hard, dark tension. And AGAIN Fiver does it in such a way that does not undermine Hazel's authority. He tells him quietly, as his brother, that he'll go, and I imagine Fiver trusts Hazel to lead the others once he's made the leap.

...I did not explain that well  :fiver3 but let's just move on. Men appear.

The voices, the smell of men's sweat, of leather, of white sticks, the pain in his leg, the damp, chuckling tunnel at his very ear - he had known them all before. How could the men not see him? They must see him. He was lying at their feet. He was wounded. They were coming to pick him up.
Hazel having a flashback moment to when he had been shot at the farm? Nice!  :hazel2

But it was Pipkin that he found next to him.
'Quick, Hazel-rah,' said Pipkin, twitching and trembling. 'I'll come too. Only be quick.'
Ah Pipkin so brave, so loyal, so adorable. Yet another great little  :pipkin :hazel2 moment!

Hazel shut his eyes and fell over the side into the water.
He didn't jump in. He just fell in.

There were in fact ten does altogether - though none of the rabbits knew the number-[...]
That's a hrair does!  :blackberry3
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab