Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: The Promised Land  (Read 1606 times)

Offline StardustSoldier

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by StardustSoldier
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
Re: The Promised Land
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2021, 01:48:54 PM »
As others mentioned above, yeah, I wish the episode had opened similar to how the film did, in starting off with the protagonists still at Sandleford Warren before leaving. It felt a bit awkward how it began with them having already left, merely talking about it after the fact, and we didn't even get to see Sandleford. As Darkling Nocturnal noted, it seems like the makers expected that people would've already seen the film or read the book, but a lot of kids watching this on TV back in the day would not have seen or read either of those. I guess maybe they wanted to have the rabbits find their new home by the end of the first episode and that meant cutting out the intro segment, but I still think they should've included it, and then perhaps the rabbits could have found Watership Down by the end of the second episode (or later).

The Frith's Blessing story wasn't as good as the film's version either, although I'm still happy they included it at all.

But overall I liked the episode. It was a nice start to the TV series in spite of all that.

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2021, 03:03:02 AM »
I agree with you StardustSoldier.  :snowdrop2

It could easily have been two episodes to leave Sandleford Warren, in which the first one managed to escape from Holly's Owsla, and thus begin episode 2 as we know it, in which they are in the field, they go to the farm meeting Hannah and Keejar and later their home in Watership down. They wasted an episode that could have been majestic.
The good news is that he was rescued in the 2018 mini-series, as well as other aspects of the old rabbit hutch. Not all is lost, but still, it would have been a nice addition to the cartoon series.

It's still a good episode, but it could have been much better with that beginning.   :heather

I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline StardustSoldier

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2021, 07:11:44 PM »
I definitely plan to check out the 2018 mini-series once I'm done with this. :buttercup2

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2021, 01:28:17 PM »
It really seems that most of the discussion about this episode is the fact that Sandleford was skipped :toadflax I too wish they had shown it, especially with the video game, and it also could have be done in a bloodless way, as the miniseries proved :bluebell

That's a lot of material skipped :vervain In the book, part 1 (the first 17 chapters) are literally called "The Journey" :hazel Out of this, they spend 4 chapters at Sandleford :violet 7 on the journey itself (including the blessing of El-ahrairah) :rabscuttle and 5 at Cowslip's (including the King's lettuce) :cowslip

As for the rest of the episode, overall I enjoyed it :fiver although it was rather forgettable :red Some character introductions were handled well, notably Blackberry's :blackberry3 (too bad she will soon fade into the sidelines :blackberry) and Kehaar's :kehaar Overall he's nicer here than in the other versions, which carries through with the rest of the series :gluck

Hawkbit's introduction, however...not that good :hawkbit2 IIRC, it went something like this:
:hawkbit Pipkin where are you?
:kehaar Yo who was that?
:pipkin-oh Hawkbit...
Also Pipkin doesn't seem too pleased :pipkin-oh I agree with Chibiscuit about the "Follow Fiver, see the world, drown" line; we don't know he's Hawkbit yet, but that's great :hannah4

StardustSoldier makes a valid point about the blessing story :prince-rainbow I don't like the changes they made :el-ahrairah In the book and film:
:frith Have you seen El-ahrairah?
:el-ahrairah No I haven't.
:frith Come out, and I'll bless you.
:el-ahrairah I can't, the elil are coming.
(Frith of course knows it's El-ahrairah all along :frith)

In the series:
:frith El-ahrairah, come out and I'll bless you.
:el-ahrairah I can't, the elil are coming.

Skipping El-ahrairah's denial of himself, that's somewhat disappointing :rabscuttle Also, in the series El-ahrairah is clearly digging a hole, which breaks continuity with another tale from the later episode The Roundabout...
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline StardustSoldier

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 02:10:28 AM »
It really seems that most of the discussion about this episode is the fact that Sandleford was skipped :toadflax I too wish they had shown it, especially with the video game, and it also could have be done in a bloodless way, as the miniseries proved :bluebell

Hehe, I hope I wasn't being too redundant by mentioning it myself. :p Although it is genuinely what stood out to me the most when I first watched the episode, even before I came onto the discussion thread. I still thought it was a good first episode otherwise.