Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Challenge to Efrafa  (Read 999 times)

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Challenge to Efrafa
« on: March 01, 2015, 09:14:20 AM »
Meanwhile, the series has reached a very good level.

Why not letting Gorse & Thistle letting be killed by the fox just because they stumble across Bigwig? Bigwig who finally plants himself into Efrafa? Efrafa, whose captains try to find Watership Down?

This whole episode may be another "expander", but it's simply done great.

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Challenge to Efrafa
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 04:56:58 PM »
In this episode we get a bit of conflict between Hazel careful approach to problems and Bigwig's rush-headfirst-and-improvise-as-you-go-along attitude. It ends in Bigwig joining Efrafa (or at least pretending to do so). Here it's a rash decision that works out in the end, while in the book it is part of the carefully designed plan. Another difference is that in the book Bigwig is quite hesitant to play his role of secret agent in Efrafa. In the show he goes in without any doubts or anxiety.

---

I find it funny that Hawkbit is chosen to go to Efrafa even though he is the last rabbit to volunteer, while Pipkin and Dandelion (who are first to raise their paws) get to stay behind. Lucky for them. They get credit for being the first to volunteer, but in the end they don't have to risk their lives. :D

:hawkbit : I don't see why he picked me. You put up your paw before I did.

I wonder about that thing too. Looking at this from Watsonian perspective, Hazel picks Hawkbit over Pipkin and Dandelion, because Pipkin is a child while Dandelion is one of the slowest rabbits in the warren (or at least that's what later episodes say). Fiver is slow too, but he has visions, so it's rational to take him on this mission.

Now, the Doylist answer would be that the group needs a pessimist to remind the audience how dangerous rabbits' quest is. Hawkbit usually having better/funnier lines would be another reason to include him in the group looking from producers' perspective. ;)
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: Challenge to Efrafa
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 09:03:05 PM »
The true reason Hawkbit got chosen to go on the mission instead of Dandelion is simple; they needed their especially trained step ladder to get over that giant log!  :hawkbit2

It's interesting to see the conflict between Hazel and Bigwig shift to this moment here, and it's also nice to see that in this case Hazel at least realizes he's being selfish by risking his rabbits' lives just to rescue Primrose. Looking at you miniseries!Hazel

Campion makes a weird decision in sending Thistle and Gorse off by themselves whilst he and Vervain go in another direction. Wouldn't it make more sense for the captains to split up and take an officer each?

Also more set-up for Mister Golden Good Boy Campion, he berates Vervain and then later saves him from Woundwort's wrath (this is why I think it plausible they were friends somewhat before Woundwort came to Efrafa). 
But, seriously, pay attention Campion. You are still perpetuating this system. you want to be the real 'good' guy? Then don't serve Woundwort! Fight him! Or at least let rabbits escape! :frustrated *ahum* my frustration with Campion is surfacing again...

Anyway, back to the episode. It ends with a marvellous smile from Bigwig:
Spoiler: ShowHide
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 02:51:11 PM »
^ That is a marvellous smile!  :bigwig3

I like reading these new reviews of the first series; they're pretty amusing.  :lol
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline StardustSoldier

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by StardustSoldier
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 03:16:03 AM »
"Previously on Watership Down" was spoken by different voice than last time.

Funny opening scene with the rabbits jumping off Hawkbit's back and he keeps going "Ow! Ow!" :p A bit of light-hearted fun in what's otherwise a pretty serious episode.

Also a nice bit of foreshadowing when Pipkin casually mentions a fox, and then later on a fox shows up.

I find it funny that Hawkbit is chosen to go to Efrafa even though he is the last rabbit to volunteer, while Pipkin and Dandelion (who are first to raise their paws) get to stay behind. Lucky for them. They get credit for being the first to volunteer, but in the end they don't have to risk their lives. :D
Lol, great observation there.

The true reason Hawkbit got chosen to go on the mission instead of Dandelion is simple; they needed their especially trained step ladder to get over that giant log!  :hawkbit2
Lol.

I'm not sure what to make of Campion yet. He gives Vervain a hard time for being cruel to Primrose, which makes Campion seem like a perfectly decent rabbit, certainly nicer and more humane than the rest of Efrafa. But Campion otherwise seems like a perfectly loyal Efrafan member. I'm curious to see how his character arc will play out.

Nice twist at the end with Bigwig separating from the others pretending to join Efrafa. Didn't expect that.

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 04:47:52 PM »
In fact Hawkbit along with other rabbits like Speedwell, Bigwig, Blackberry, Pipking, Bluebell, Fiver and SIlver. They are chosen to go to Efrafa in the book. Being a group large and strong enough to fight Efrafa's patrols should they show up and kill them. Because they would give away their position. Fortunately they didn't have the need for it. Everything was mostly in the hands of Bigwig, Blackberry and Kehhar for the success of the escape. Very good episode. A pity that in this version there is neither Bluebell nor Silver, but you can't have everything.   :hawkbit
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)