Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Escape from Efrafa  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Escape from Efrafa
« on: March 01, 2015, 09:21:32 AM »
And we go on with good episodes.

Bigwig in Efrafa is great. When Vervain faces him in front of Woundwort and Bigwig wants to kill Vervain, while Campion tries to stop him. And then, Woundwort jumps of his plateau. This may be the first time, where you realize the power and strength of Woundwort. Simply amazing.

And then, there's the escape of Blackavar, Bigwig and Primrose. It's done very well in my opinion. When Woundwort follows then and nearly enters the boat. And Bigwig's great line:

"We're full, Woundwort. Get your own boat!"  :D

Yes, I'm beginning to lionize  :wub

It's not one of the highlight episodes, but it's still great :)

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Escape from Efrafa
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 09:14:23 PM »
Quote from: Darkling Nocturnal on  
This may be the first time, where you realize the power and strength of Woundwort.

There is also that moment when Bigwig spots a fox skull and Campion tells him about how Woundwort and Efrafan Owsla killed it with no casualties on their side. If that's not an amazing achievement, then I don't know what is. :) It shows how dangerous Efrafans can be, although that effect is lessened a bit when Bigwig easily overpowers those two big guard rabbits.

---

There is one thing I find strange about Efrafa. There is too much empty space in it. It is supposed to be a big overcrowded warren, where having a whole burrow just to yourself is a great privilege, and where average Efrafan is more likely to sleep in corridor with dozens of other rabbits. Here tunnels are wide and empty and even the lowliest of rabbits doesn't have to share a burrow with more that one companion. All this empty space gives Efrafa a feeling of abandoned or haunted place. In the book overcrowding was the main reason why rabbits wanted to leave Efrafa. In the show Efrafa overcrowding problem is non-existent, which is perhaps why producers made Primrose a captive (and not someone born in Efrafa) in order to give her strong motivation to escape from the warren.

---

Another thought about this episode: it could as well be called "Vervain is proven right about everything in the end". He says Bigwig is a spy and works with Hazel. He is proven right by Bigwig's busting Primrose and Blackavar out of Efrafa. He says gull is Outsider's ally. He is proven right by Keehar hiding under scarecrow's hat in attempt to scare Efrafans from pursuing Hazel and others. He says there was something between Hazel and Primrose. He is proven right by those two stopping in the middle of escape to stare at each other lovingly for a few long seconds (it's not like they are in a hurry!). He is correct about all those things and yet no one listens to him until it's too late. One almost has to feel sorry for poor Vervain. :P
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: Escape from Efrafa
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 08:17:08 PM »
Bigwig's infiltration and subsequent escape is rather disappointing in comparison to the book but Efrafa is quite different as well. Like Myrkin mentioned, it feels more abandoned than anything else. There are more guards than other rabbits!

It is kind of weird how when they are escaping through the tunnel and Vervain drops in it, that Bigwig turns back. He could have easily knocked Vervain unconscious then and there!

It also takes from his character I feel that Blackavar is just a loudmouth and not a suffering rabbit Bigwig takes pity on. We seem him standing up for some other poor rabbits but he doesn't bother taking them along. They're not given a second thought!

I love Kehaar in this exchange:
 :hazel2 "How is your precision flying?"
 :kehaar "Better than yours, that's for sure."

He says there was something between Hazel and Primrose. He is proven right by those two stopping in the middle of escape to stare at each other lovingly for a few long seconds (it's not like they are in a hurry!).
Gotta get those longing looks and paw touches in!  :primrose

Another thought about this episode: it could as well be called "Vervain is proven right about everything in the end".
Isn't that basically the entire series?  :vervain Culminating in that one line in Season 3 where you can just hear his disbelief and frustration in his voice.  :vervain-facepalm

So,
One almost has to feel sorry for poor Vervain. :P
Yes, yes, indeed! This is actually the episode that made me first appreciate Vervain.  :vervain2
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 04:06:35 PM »
There are certainly many things to regret regarding important details of the series, such as Efrafa being desolate, and not overpopulated as described in the book. I imagine it was a budget decision, they didn't want to draw as many rabbits or just the necessary ones. Or gave them laziness or gave that more childish touch to be an animated series. In addition to other decisions not to emphasize Primrose as someone oppressed as many other rabbits, or a fearsome Blackavar because before it was official that he was plunged.
They focused on other things, so that the series was more enjoyable and digestible for everyone. Even so, it is still acceptable to me, even with its clear deficiencies. I enjoy very much.
I think my favorite part is Hazel's, showing himself as a Hero for Primrrose, who is clearly his savior and love at first sight.     :hazel   :primrose    :wub
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline StardustSoldier

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by StardustSoldier
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 03:26:57 AM »
This was another exciting episode.

No "Previously on Watership Down" this time, despite this continuing directly from the previous episode.

The haunting, sad music that I love plays again at 17:39. We first heard it in "The Easy Life".

Something tells me we haven't seen the last of Woundwart.
 :pipkin