Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Friends & Enemy  (Read 964 times)

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Friends & Enemy
« on: March 01, 2015, 09:42:52 AM »
Time or another great episode of the series. This is not only important because of the collaboration between Hazel and Campion. It simply has an amazing location in my opinion. The green house puts a nice variety into the series.

I think, the idea with the snake wasn't bad, also. The parrots may be a bit annoying, but I think, the series has worse characters ;)

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
Re: Friends & Enemy
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 06:51:19 PM »
Yeah, the parrots were quite annoying. What was up with their voices?!

All right episode here. Greenhouse was an interesting idea, if not a slightly random place to have one. Was good to have the interaction with Campion and - ohmigosh - bloodied wounds were actually shown! Not a bit of blood on Bigwig whilst in that snare, yet we actually see something here.
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 03:50:53 AM »
My main complaint about this episode would be the greenhouse.  It's a nice setting, but it is never seen again for the entire series.  Why didn't the rabbits go back there to raid the flayrah?  The "slither thing" can't really be more dangerous than Tabitha and Duster in the farmyard.  In fact, probably even less dangerous because it sleeps during the day.

Also this is the first time we see Moss.  While in later episodes he seems quite skilled, here he falls in an extremely obvious trap.

I didn't remember the blood; it is quite interesting that they chose to depict it like this.

Not sure why the parrots spoke the way they did.  They were really quite annoying, although there last scene, about how the outside world is cold and boring, is funny.  I guess.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 12:19:33 PM »
I didn't catch that the Efrafan's name was Moss, but assume you do mean the light grey and white one? I quite like his design. :) :moss

The greenhouse fits into the usual trap of a lot of series, it seems, of establishing something in one episode and then never, ever mentioning it again.

It's funny how I would have excitedly watched these episodes when they first aired, yet I really cannot remember them now on my second viewing! To be fair, it was late 1999 these aired, and that was kind of a long time ago now.  :pipkin-oh
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:37:59 PM »
I didn't catch that the Efrafan's name was Moss, but assume you do mean the light grey and white one? I quite like his design. :) :moss
Yes, that's him.  He looks like he's wearing a mask :moss

The greenhouse fits into the usual trap of a lot of series, it seems, of establishing something in one episode and then never, ever mentioning it again.
Now that you mention it...I can think of several other occasions of that happening...
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!